Owner driver

Im thinking of becoming an owner driver , could anyone tell me about how much companies pay and what is the avg cost of outgoings. thanks

There are just too many variables to be able to answer this question.

Do you have any particular type of work in mind? Do you have an Operator’s Licence? Are you thinking of buying or leasing? If you can fill in some of that info I’m sure we’ll have a go at giving some answers.

Well as a long term owner driver you should reasonably expect to earn between £4 to £5000 per week.this should allow you to buy a top of the range anything and fit all the extras on it.Your outgoings because the rig is new are minimal so this should certainly leave you with a weekly wage of about £2000,£4000 if you run on red derv.If you check the other replies regarding becoming an OD you’ll find some OD’s are earning far in excess of this figure so it’s up to you,how much do you want.Harry Monk has just done it and claims it’s been like winning the lottery.

Armagedon:
Harry Monk has just done it and claims it’s been like winning the lottery.

I don’t actually recall saying that. :wink:

I do recall saying that I’m hoping to earn a living from it, and realistically I think that’s as much as anyone can hope for in the present economic climate. It is possible to make money in transport during the good times, but nobody really knows how many years away those good times are.

To the OP my advice would be that the very first thing to do is to find an offer of work which pays reasonably well for a reliable payer. From that point you will be at least six months away from turning a wheel.

Armagedon:
Well as a long term owner driver you should reasonably expect to earn between £4 to £5000 per week.this should allow you to buy a top of the range anything and fit all the extras on it.Your outgoings because the rig is new are minimal so this should certainly leave you with a weekly wage of about £2000,£4000 if you run on red derv.If you check the other replies regarding becoming an OD you’ll find some OD’s are earning far in excess of this figure so it’s up to you,how much do you want.Harry Monk has just done it and claims it’s been like winning the lottery.

Tongue in cheek?? you’d be lucky to earn that in a month sub’ing for some of the rubbish firms out there :exclamation: :exclamation:

A quick glance at the OP’s other posts might suggest that he/she does much more thinking than action.
I may be wrong though…

Regards,
Nick

IM looking to be come owner driver and just doing reasearch , , how do i obtain operators licence ?can i operate of soeones elses licence? or should i forge this way and just work as employed driver?

stevo09uk:
should i forge this way and just work as employed driver?

With respect, I think you’ll need a few years experience as an employed driver to learn how the industry works.

Ross.

stevo09uk:
IM looking to be come owner driver and just doing reasearch , , how do i obtain operators licence ?

You apply for a licence to the Traffic Commissioner for your area, to the central office in Leeds. You’ll need a CPC or a nominated CPC holder, an agreement to use an operating centre, a maintenance contract and proof that you have sufficient funds to operate.

stevo09uk:
can i operate of soeones elses licence?

Not legally, no.

stevo09uk:
or should i forge this way and just work as employed driver?

It would probably be far less grief.

how clong to get a operators licence ? do i need ex amont ofash in business account to get licence?

Harry Monk:
There are just too many variables to be able to answer this question.

Do you have any particular type of work in mind? Do you have an Operator’s Licence? Are you thinking of buying or leasing? If you can fill in some of that info I’m sure we’ll have a go at giving some answers.

I have been driving for 15 years and would prob do container work , i am due to come into some money and fed up with working for other people , i dont have an op licence but will get one before i get a unit.

simonjdig:
Im thinking of becoming an owner driver , could anyone tell me about how much companies pay and what is the avg cost of outgoings. thanks

Hi Simon,

Comanies will generally pay you as little as they can get away with, AND take as long as possible to pay it!!

As for outgoings; your biggest cost is fuel, but as with any other costs, a good knowledge of your options is the most important weapon at your disposal.

Before you consider the two items above, it’s fair to say that the set-up costs and administrative hoops that you need to jump through are very considerable indeed, so I’d advise that you do a lot of research in this area first in order to see whether you’re wasting your time considering the other aspects.

I’d like to wish you good luck in your decision.

Threads like this should be all merged together or lock this one and point the OP in the direction of the 2,564 other threads just like this one that are all over trucknet.

dont know how many times its been said but FIND THE WORK FIRST if you dont have any work/customers then you aint going to make any money.

Find work first but dont beleive any promisis given.Just done 11 years delivering for a company taken all the flak done everything asked of me and more today told not needed anymore and just get lost .

have had my class one licene sin 96 , ie been self employed for 13 yr in another industry . my dream of bcoming owner driver is now becoming reality . i want to contract hire truck any advise on what truck would be appricated . i will find the work een in a slowd down , its not as bad as it seems , people are still buying goods and trucks alway be in demand .

stevo09uk:
have had my class one licene sin 96 , ie been self employed for 13 yr in another industry . my dream of bcoming owner driver is now becoming reality . i want to contract hire truck any advise on what truck would be appricated . i will find the work een in a slowd down , its not as bad as it seems , people are still buying goods and trucks alway be in demand .

Steve,

I don’t doubt your experience for a moment, but…

At the moment, there’s overcapacity in the general haulage market.

:bulb: There are companies with vast experience going under on an almost daily basis, so you’ll probably need something extra to set you apart from the ‘crowd.’

I’d like to wish you good luck in your decision. :smiley:

every industry is over subcribed , too much copition in everything we do these dayds , the strong do survive , not sure i will as new start up but hell when i left school 4 million unemployed 13per cent intrest rates . my teracgers said i never get a decent job as i was not interested in school bull ■■■■ . well 46 yrs on ive never been out of work got my own car 4 bed house and holidays abroad lol not bad for alooser l;ike me lol . i will give it my best shot thats all i can do :smiley: :smiley:

Steve,think very carefully before making a decision you have a lot to loose,I am not trying to put a downer on you but be very careful there people who will take you to the cleaners, I am O/D of similar age to you & thinking of packing in, I have been suprised at job offers I’ve had & the wages on offer, not rubbish :exclamation:

Thanks for your advise , more advise is appreciate . I’m just at the research stage , good planing and good quality work is I think the key to success ? Not looking to become millionaire , decent pay pay for honest work