owner driver

hey just looking some advice im thinking of buying a unit to do some traction work. im based in Northern Ireland, has anyone any advice as to who to go to or talk to to find work? and what kind of rates can i expect? i am a tipper owner driver and the work is kinda slow for some time now, and help would be much appreciated…

If anyone tells you about available traction, it’s going to be crap mate, shame but that’s the way it is. £1.30 per mile is about the going rate for traction that’s easy to get on. Not worth it in other words. :bulb:

Just get on the phone and cold call local companies on the off chance, you may get lucky.

The number of both Northern & Southern Irish hauliers over here in Liverpool pulling for Maritime & Greycourt would suggest that the tracvtion job in Ireland isn’t too good at the moment.

Good luck bud, Ross.

cheers for the info lads, :smiley: who would be a good company to work for? would i need public liabilty ins any how much would it be roughly?

Assuming my Operator’s Licence is granted, I will be doing long-distance traction at £1.80 a mile for a company which is 100% financially sound and has been for the last 50 years.

Any less of a deal than this, and you might just as well drive around in your car throwing £20 notes out of the window.

Good luck getting ANYWHERE near £1.30mile via NI traction companies more like £1.10/20 :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

DFDS/Norforkline mad keen looking for subbies but “B.McCann/Hornsby/E.Nicholl” all looking to reduce their subbie fleet in there so what does that tell you :question: :exclamation:

Sawyers/McBurney/MorganMcClernan you’ll work 24/7 to earn only a wage. :cry:

Big Truck:
Good luck getting ANYWHERE near £1.30mile via NI traction companies more like £1.10/20 :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

DFDS/Norforkline mad keen looking for subbies but “B.McCann/Hornsby/E.Nicholl” all looking to reduce their subbie fleet in there so what does that tell you :question: :exclamation:

Sawyers/McBurney/MorganMcClernan you’ll work 24/7 to earn only a wage. :cry:

:frowning: i didnt expect it to be great, im just looking for something to get me started, what are these companies like at paying?? what about p&o in larne do u know anybody working for them?

Can anyone please tell me what hayton coulthard are like to sub contract to. I know they are part of Gregory’s but that’s about it.
Cheers

There’s hardly a shortage of tractor units in NI mate, every second house seems to have one in the driveway.

I seriously wouldn’t bother. :frowning:

and whats the best truck for the job daf volvo scaina?? only going to spend round 10k.

Tekniqe:
Can anyone please tell me what hayton coulthard are like to sub contract to. I know they are part of Gregory’s but that’s about it.
Cheers

£1.12 per mile :open_mouth: , 60 day payment, running at max weight, quite a bit of unpaid empty running, on the plus side ( if there is one ) easy to deal with, no running bent.

pete-b:

Tekniqe:
Cheers

£1.12 per mile :open_mouth: , 60 day payment, running at max weight, quite a bit of unpaid empty running, on the plus side ( if there is one ) easy to deal with, no running bent.

Thanks for that info, much appreciated

Harry Monk:
Assuming my Operator’s Licence is granted, I will be doing long-distance traction at £1.80 a mile for a company which is 100% financially sound and has been for the last 50 years.

Any less of a deal than this, and you might just as well drive around in your car throwing £20 notes out of the window.

£1.80 per mile you couldn’t complain about that, which company is paying that or is it a secret?

Quick! Somebody say they can do it for £1.70…

Happydaze:

LOL yeah £1.80 per mile what a load of bs

Tekniqe:

Happydaze:

LOL yeah £1.80 per mile what a load of bs

Before making such a statement make sure you have your facts correct, I am not one to jump in on such comments but this has annoyed me.
I have run the same contract when I started out and the rate is correct and factual. does it upset you that someone has got off their backside, done some legwork and found a contract that pays the correct Market rate, some people just settle for the first easy option.
And before you ask the reason I no longer work on the contract is because I now run a walking floor which provides slightly higher rates with a few more miles.

Silverback
3 Feathers Haulage

I’ll do it for 50ppm and 2 mars bars

yea thats all very helpful :laughing:

any one know of any good traction work going??

ni-trucker:
any one know of any good traction work going??

3 Feathers Haulage gave a good answer to this :wink:

'‘someone has got off their backside, done some legwork and found a contract that pays the correct Market rate, some people just settle for the first easy option.’’

:laughing: