Owner driver or not?

what are peoples views on becoming a owner driver in specific i mean is it worth massive costs for a tractor unit and trailer to work self employed, are the wage alot more to be exact? reason i ask is im looking at this route but not sure if its worth borrowing such a massive amount to set up and to be honest wouldn’t know where to start in getting work, also what are the pro’s and con’s to this? any comments or advice appriciated.

ian

If you cannot capitalise the operation yourself, then you are leaving yourself on very dodgy ground.

IMHO, only if you have some definite work contracts lined up and that they don’t involve containers.

i have around 30k to play with and id have to finance rest, meaning i could possibly lose it all if it went wrong. what im thinking is even so surely i wouldn’t be able to earn enough over the lifetime of the truck to pay all the overall cost, the truck/trailer and earn a decent wage. also what is actually done as a owner driver would i pull someone elses trailer or would that depend on contract im guessing?

Dont do it.Have you got your O.licence?There are so many hurdles to be overcome in this economic climate that you are stuffed before you start.If you could shadow someO.Ds. inyour area with a view to buying an up and running business you might have a chance On a positive slant its a buyers market for motors right now.

My advice - have a really long chat over a pub/restuarant meal (which you pay for - good investment) with an O/D who has been doing it for say, the last 5 years - they will give you the truth.

Oh - and take a pen & notepad - you will do a lot of writing :wink: