Own worst enemy

I know this topic has been done to death before but here we are again. A lot of trampers park here and lay-bys on the old 74 and turn the place literally like a ■■■■ hole and this is what happens. Cant blame the locals for getting upset really, especially when there are two decent truck stops a few miles either side of the town. Thing is there’s a bin in each of the lay-bys at the cemetery but it seems to much trouble to lift their lazy @rses out of their seats to use them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon there should be a law that bans overnight (9 hours or more) parking in laybyes. All wagons on a night out should be parked at proper designated parking areas with the correct washing and toilet facilities.
And the lorry owner gets an automatic bill for paying in said parking area so the driver doesnt end up paying for it.

msgyorkie:
I reckon there should be a law that bans overnight (9 hours or more) parking in laybyes. All wagons on a night out should be parked at proper designated parking areas with the correct washing and toilet facilities.
And the lorry owner gets an automatic bill for paying in said parking area so the driver doesnt end up paying for it.

Good shout mate.
I certainly do not condone the actions of these dirty ■■■■■■■■■ and I would never dream of taking a crap in a public lay by, …nor never have tbh…(I refuse to park in lay bys anyway,.when I have on a few occasions, it’s been last resort totally desperate)

On the other hand taking the pig ignorance and the anti social aspects out of the equation for a minute, this is a symptom of the chronic shortage of proper parking facilities for trampers (ok maybe not in Lockerbie) and you always get the pond life contingent among us letting the rest of us down, and giving us all a bad name whilst illustrating this point. :unamused:

How can it be a symptom of a chronic shortage of proper parking facilities when (as you acknowledge) there are adequate, proper facilities nearby?

I’d suggest it’s more likely a result of skinflint firms who won’t pay for parking.

Roymondo:
How can it be a symptom of a chronic shortage of proper parking facilities when (as you acknowledge) there are adequate, proper facilities nearby?

I’d suggest it’s more likely a result of skinflint firms who won’t pay for parking.

Or they pay parking but the driver chooses not to spend it on that

Roymondo:

I was speaking generally,.and as you point out did state it did not necessarily apply to Lockerbie, so you are more than likely right in this case.
But speaking GENERALLY, and bearing in mind not every tramper craps in lay bys, but if there are no toilet facilities nearby,.some are just going to crap in a lay by…ie a symptom. :neutral_face: :bulb:

Sounds like they need a camera on the layby then at very least fine the companies of anyone seen littering or worse.

Actually anyone doing the worse type of littering should be published along with their company name. Might make a few of them sort their parking payments and kick out some of the real dirtbags. £200 per offence sounds good (council here charge £100 for littering).

Admittedly won’t help if not UK based, but wonder if the ANPR system can spot those and pull them for unpaid fines which must be paid before release plus extra fines for being discusting little [fb].

Ultimately of course there needs to be more truck parking including free for an hour or two, and for sensible prices (not MSA levels), but we know what the chances of that are.

Edit: thry might slso want to check if is the trucks as I’d love to know where all these RO and PL vans go for facilities when parked in laybys.

As msgyorkie says, they should ban truck parking in lay bys, phased in over a period of time until better facilities are made, even convert a lot of lay bys into Euro style rest areas with toilets…but this is the UK, they simply don’t g.a.f. so the problem will continue.

Thanks for the responses, I sometimes think it’s just me that cracks up with the amount of litter and crap left in laybys. I use to do distance work and would put my trash in a poly bag and dump it in a bin at night, not hard really but some of the knuckle draggers in the job can’t seem to manage
To be fair tho, the general public aren’t much better, the amount of litter in general along the roadsides is a disgrace, councils don’t have the budgets or manpower to clear it regular so a beautiful area like the one I live and work in is despoiled with plastic bottles/drink cans and McDonalds rubbish miles from the nearest outlet

robroy:
As msgyorkie says, they should ban truck parking in lay bys, phased in over a period of time until better facilities are made, even convert a lot of lay bys into Euro style rest areas with toilets…but this is the UK, they simply don’t g.a.f. so the problem will continue.

This being the uk, the toilets would be vandalised, the kerbs and grass chewed up with drivers trying to get the “perfect” spot for a telly signal and the local Jakeys would be in most nights slashing curtains and dipping deisel. Nice idea tho

GOG47:

robroy:

This being the uk, the toilets would be vandalised, the kerbs and grass chewed up with drivers trying to get the “perfect” spot for a telly signal and the local Jakeys would be in most nights slashing curtains and dipping deisel. Nice idea tho

Too true, amazon bowburn nr darlington opened at begining of october and when i delivered there 15th nov, the drivers toilets at the holding area outside were already closed due to somebody nicking the electric heater from the wall and the showers inside the building were also closed due to the showerheads being nicked

205:

GOG47:

robroy:

Too true, amazon bowburn nr darlington opened at begining of october and when i delivered there 15th nov, the drivers toilets at the holding area outside were already closed due to somebody nicking the electric heater from the wall and the showers inside the building were also closed due to the showerheads being nicked

Too many scum driving trucks now, all the damage done to facilities is done by drivers I just don’t get it, why vandalise facilities supplied to make your life easier brain dead morons just about sums it up

I was fortunate enough to start driving lorries when almost all town centres had a lorry park or cattle market, there was normally a toilet and certainly a tap for a couple of quid parking fee. Being in the town centre there was also access to a local hostelry and a chip van or cafe. The general stipulation was that you were gone by 8am at the latest which was reasonable, drivers got out of their vehicles and made friends, they became regulars and played in darts and pool teams in various county leagues.

Probably some were sleeping with your mother or wife or vice versa.

Wheel Nut:
I was fortunate enough to start driving lorries when almost all town centres had a lorry park or cattle market, there was normally a toilet and certainly a tap for a couple of quid parking fee. Being in the town centre there was also access to a local hostelry and a chip van or cafe. The general stipulation was that you were gone by 8am at the latest which was reasonable, drivers got out of their vehicles and made friends, they became regulars and played in darts and pool teams in various county leagues.

Probably some were sleeping with your mother or wife or vice versa.

The good old days, never to be seen again, nasty trucks parking in towns and cities banish them to a ■■■■ and ■■■■ littered lay-by where the vermin deserve to live

Roymondo:

Competitive advantage, brother :unamused:

I too agree that overnight and weekend parking in laybys should be…discouraged. Maybe reserve 1/4th of the parking spaces in a layby for up to 1 hour parking? Almost every night I struggle to find space for a 45 on the A-roads. We have 2 laybys near where I work which have been completely privatized by mostly foreign plated trucks (no trailers) and they’re there 24/7, 7 days of the week occasionally they will swap but rarely leave an empty space. I think they use it to wait for loads (there’s a Maritime somewhere nearby). Obviously more services are needed or expand the existing ones. I went for a coffee at one off the A14 last night, barely able to get in due to trucks parked on the road in etc…Honestly that’s the main reason I’ll never get into tramping, I don’t care if I make £1000 per week. Trying to find a spot for the night every night before even thinking about where am I going to do the this and the that…

On full laybys, where is someone supposed to stop who has had a flat tyre and/or needs to use the emergency phone? How is a recovery vehicle then going to enter that same full layby and get in front of the broken down vehicle…?