Overtaking

Don’t forget the people like me. In an underpowered wagon (at 44t anyway :smiley: ).
On a downhill, followed by an uphill, I will hold it back on the retarder/exhauster most of the way down the hill, but let it go near the bottom, to get my speed up to carry me up the hill a fair way before gravity has me changing down the box almost as quick as I can :frowning: .
If I miss-judge it slightly, I might catch up to the wagon which passed me on the previous uphill, and pull out a lane. I know perfectly well I’m not going to get passed, but I don’t want to touch the brakes because I’ll be slowing down soon enough anyway :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: , so I expect the wagon I am on the outside of to keep the hammer down.

Simon:
Don’t forget the people like me. In an underpowered wagon (at 44t anyway :smiley: ).
On a downhill, followed by an uphill, I will hold it back on the retarder/exhauster most of the way down the hill, but let it go near the bottom, to get my speed up to carry me up the hill a fair way before gravity has me changing down the box almost as quick as I can :frowning: .
If I miss-judge it slightly, I might catch up to the wagon which passed me on the previous uphill, and pull out a lane. I know perfectly well I’m not going to get passed, but I don’t want to touch the brakes because I’ll be slowing down soon enough anyway :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: , so I expect the wagon I am on the outside of to keep the hammer down.

Glad you said that Simon as I agree with you and do the same thing but didn’t want to get the slagging meself ! :laughing:

Their’s sometime’s a lot of selfishness shown in the overtaking manouver, and not necissarily by the person that’s overtaking :unamused:. I will back off and let the person overtaking past/out most of the time, unless I’m fully loaded and going up a hill. In which case, if they can’t judge their speed and distance properly (and in my limited experience, you’d be amazed at how many can’t :unamused:), then tough, Now where’s the tin 'at? Having said that, I usually cruise at around 53mph, saves a lot of aggro sometimes :wink:. This fence sitting’s crippling me :unamused::lol:.

dont have to sitting at 100k :wink: :laughing:

Why do some of you folk run at less than the limiter ?

It’s ok for you who have all the time in the world but a right pita when a line of trucks come up behind you…

There we are happily running along speed matched, bar the ups and downs, when who should appear on the horizon is one, or generally two, of those flippin Matalan wagons, who seem to have taken over from Tesco, and out we have to go…

Talk about congestion :frowning:

To the original question, yes! ease back and let them pass, don’t cause a problem then you don’t have to solve one.

As for the slower truck then it depends on the volume of traffic, I make sure I know what’s happening behind as well as in front or to the side and if its safe I would sit tight and let a slower vehicle come outside of me to keep their momentum but keep going as Simon suggests. If its a dual carraigeway and causing a tailback I will back off and let the slower vehicle keep going as it is easier for me to get back to cruising speed than to force the them to slow down and have to go through the box to get going again, forcing an under powered vehicle to slow just compounds the problem as they then sit on the rh lane frustrating everyone else and I am never in that much of a rush, anyway, chill :sunglasses: it only makes a difference of minutes anyway.

laybybobb:

Simon:
I know perfectly well I’m not going to get passed, but I don’t want to touch the brakes because I’ll be slowing down soon enough anyway :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: , so I expect the wagon I am on the outside of to keep the hammer down.

Glad you said that Simon as I agree with you and do the same thing but didn’t want to get the slagging meself ! :laughing:

No probs mate :smiley: , I’ve got broad shoulders so I can take it :laughing: :laughing: . I don’t care either :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

zorba:
MrFlibble
It’s a shame that a few of the “MACHO” boys don’t take your advice, many a time i’m nearly past a truck and then he decides he wants to go for it,

You may find this is more to do with slipstreaming. You are trying to pass an equally powered truck, but when you get to 3/4 past him it appears he is speeding up. He isn’t, you are slowing to his speed. Normally white van man will attempt this 3 or 4 times before he realises.

I too drive below the limiter because it gives me more speed to overtake, when I do come across another vehicle

steve_24v:

It’s ok for you who have all the time in the world but a right pita when a line of trucks come up behind you…

There we are happily running along speed matched, bar the ups and downs, when who should appear on the horizon is one, or generally two, of those flippin Matalan wagons, who seem to have taken over from Tesco, and out we have to go…

:question: :question: The only place you should be on the limiter is a motorway which, barring lane closures, has at least 2 lanes. If I sit at 53/85 then those who run at 56/89 can get past nice and easy. The problem, as I see it it, is if all limiters are set at 89kph (yes I know it should be 85 but most seem to take the tolerances to get the extra 5%) then the varience in tyre wear will mean that some 89s are quicker than other 89s. This also adds to the long, long overtaking times unless you exercise a bit of courtesy.

Another reason is at 85 more are coming past me than I pass and, when required, because I creep up behind another running at about 85 i have an extra 4kph available to make my overtaking move quicker.

If that upsets some others here then so be it but it’s my way of keeping my sanity, a sensible stress level and getting home in one piece. :bulb:

85 kph is now out of date. 85 kph is the set speed for speed limiters with a 5 kph working tolerance. Modern limiters only use Vmax as a value and this is 90 kph for trucks so you should all be able to run at a legal maximum powered speed not exceeding 90 kph.

vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publication … 0dates.pdf

ive got an indifference with this and a bug bear , sometimes it really piddles me off…

if someone is making good ground i will back off and make it that bit easier for them and give them a flash to come back in …

but the times that someone starts to overtake me and its just pointless , they struggle to even get a cab length on you , but still insist on turning the motorway into a single outer lane … it would be easier for them to knock back by one measly K , it is such a pointless exercise , and it really piddles me off …

i kept one out there you know once , i didnt back off , i gave him nothing , if he wanted it he had to work for it … it was 3 in the morning so traffic wasnt a problem , its also why i made him work for it … it took him 25 minutes to overtake me … he didn get flashed back in , he did lots of waggling and indicating but i didnt flash … like i said you want it work for it … i was piddled off at the time with pointless overtaking … and this is how pointless it was , when he eventually manged to get in front , 2 jcns later he indicated off and whilst he was on the slip road slowing down i re over took him so to speak on the m- way …

so i ask you was his overtaking worth it ■■?
did his deleviries get done any quicker because of it ■■
did he make that vital lost time up ■■?
i made him work for that and i was making a point and my point was proven …
my ignorance and his ignorance made him look stupid …
just teaching one a lesson …
did he learn from it , dont know … any co-op drivers about :wink:

my favourite is the one that when your checking your mirrors to come back in and your on a slight downhill they come rocketing back down you and in some cases flash right by your n/s and leave you out like a lemon …

cheers ham shanker :confused:

My favourite’s the scenario when you see a truck coming down/up the sliproad to join, and you move over to allow him/her to join the traffic without having to slow down. He then keeps the pedal down and you sit neck-and-neck. Hmmm, I did you a favour mate, I could have stayed in the inside lane and made you anchor up at the end of the sliproad. How about letting me back across in return? Even white van man sees this a common courtesy!

best thing is to sit at 53 mph until someone starts to overtake…then put your foot down till the speed reaches 56mph…thereby keeping him/her in the middle lane for hours on end causing miles of tailbacks because he/she hasnt got enough power to complete the manoevre…then when they drop back in behind you…laugh your head off…thats what i feel like doing cos it always seems to happen to me when i`m overtaking…

steve_24v:

As for why I run slightly below the 56 limit, see Wiretwisters answer. The worst congestion occures when two vehicles, both running on the limiter try and overtake. Makes for a rather long overtaking manouver :wink:. At least people who want to can pass when I’m sat at 53. It’s also better for fuel economy I reckon.

i,ll also add that tescos’s and the likes run at 50 mph for fuel economy . any not running at 50mph are more than likely not being driven by an employee…

walkers for instance have there truck downloaded to see how econmic the driver has been and there is a level to stick to , other wise bollockings get dished out …

company policy and probably not driver choice

Anything running significantly slower than the rest of us can cause bunching, this can’t be a good thing surely… :unamused:

steve_24v:
Anything running significantly slower than the rest of us can cause bunching, this can’t be a good thing surely… :unamused:

How would you define “significant”?

paul@midway:
i,ll also add that tescos’s and the likes run at 50 mph for fuel economy . any not running at 50mph are more than likely not being driven by an employee…

walkers for instance have there truck downloaded to see how econmic the driver has been and there is a level to stick to , other wise [zb] get dished out …

company policy and probably not driver choice

I can confirm that it is definatley not driver choice :wink:.

Wiretwister:

steve_24v:

How would you define “significant”?

50 is significantly slow…

Slow enough to be classified as an obstacle :frowning: