Overtaking Madness ! (Limit The (zb))

Ok so there ya are M1 North (for example).
Your overtaking another artic and the difference in your speeds is slight
maybe .5 to 1mph. I don’t know if its a state of mind or whether its the
down draft from the two vehicles passing each other maybe a little of both.
But after a while one or other of the artics will get a little wobble on
Ive done it and Ive witnessed it a million times. So why in Gods green
earth do 7.5 ton drivers come hurtling down the fast lane both feet to the
board as they go whizzing buy then get the face on when ya don’t flash them
in after just nearly knock you into the other artic which ya overtaking with
the downdraft they just created. :open_mouth:

Time they were limited, There commercials just like lgvs I believe they should not only be limited but all so have a test just like every other lgv driver. I started on 7.5 toners many moons ago and one of them fully laden can be just as much of a (zb) to control as a fully laden high sider. Am I on my own on this one or does any one else agree with me. Im interested to
know what other drivers think?

edited for language if it needs stars it’s not allowed :wink: mrs mix

I drive anything & everything, if it pays well or is interesting work I’ll take it, & I have to say some of those 7.5’s when loaded are real pigs.
Ban them from lane 3, limit them to 70 mph & only allow those who already drive them for a living continue to drive them without a C1 test.

If you passed you test after 1 Jan 1997 you already need to take another test to drive anything over 3.5 tonnes. It also seems that they need to pass a test to tow a trailer with a vehicle below 3.5 tonnes.

More information here.
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/dl_towing_trailers.htm#2.%20%20CAR%20DRIVING%20LICENCE%20FIRST%20OBTAINED%20SINCE%201%20JANUARY%201997

muckles:
If you passed you test after 1 Jan 1997 you already need to take another test to drive anything over 3.5 tonnes. It also seems that they need to pass a test to tow a trailer with a vehicle below 3.5 tonnes.

More information here.
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/dl_towing_trailers.htm#2.%20%20CAR%20DRIVING%20LICENCE%20FIRST%20OBTAINED%20SINCE%201%20JANUARY%201997

I wonder how many are driving them illegaly then because gaffers havn’t checked licences :unamused: .

From 2005 all goods vehicles > 3.5 tons will have to be fitted with a limiter set at 56 mph by 2008 at the latest.

daveb0789:
From 2005 all goods vehicles > 3.5 tons will have to be fitted with a limiter set at 56 mph by 2008 at the latest.

Good thing too. I agree whole heartedly Rattz. I started out on a 7.5 tonner. The difference was I had passed my class 1 a couple of months before - so I drove it like an HGV. Too many baskets out there drive them like they would a spots car. It’s not good for the wagon and it’s certainly not safe for other road users. I don’t give a stuff if they want to kill themselves. I’m concerned about the others they take with them!!! :smiling_imp:

Know what you mean Rattz, personally I will never flash a 7.5 tonner in, they are 100 yds past before you get chance to flash them in ! ( [zb] in a wheelbarrow, the [zb] sounds like a ships handbrake if you need a clue :laughing: )
They are teararses doing haulage on a car licence as far as I am concerned & rate the majority no better than a ■■■■■■ van driver (yeah OK, post '97 its a separate test but that still doesnt get them the HGV3 badge that seems to be used to classify them now).
Does no-one ever get 7.5 tonners trying to nip past on roundabouts? (I go out of my way to put those prats on the roundabouts, damned things should be limited to 100Kp/h MAXIMUM, that would give them sufficient to ‘sandwich lane’ it past the real HGV’s when its clear but if they want to call it HGV3 they should stay out of the 3rd lane (unless they are Irish of course !)

Well That’s answered that one for me, not only do I know some of the thoughts of drivers its ■■■■ good to know that something is on the cards. The ways that those things are driving is frightening ( I remember I used to drive one ).
I Started out on 7.5 t round a bout 10 years ago. And Im sorry to admit I was one of them loonies with a noddy truck. I hope I wasn't as bad as some of the no brainers today. But to my point I remember a few times where Ive scared myself absolutely silly with one usual too fast too heavy no control.

Over the past couple of days I`ve been paying closer attention to drivers and how they deal with overtaking two lgvs. I was quite surprised by the amount who do hang back I was beginning to think that maybe I had jumped the gun with this thread. but then low and behold as if by magic, some geezer chasing his ginsters almost took the front end off the unit just as Cav203k mentions almost a put the botty brake on :open_mouth: ha ha ha ha…

Next year!
Ya know I`m almost gonna find it hilarious watching em all :smiley: .
This thread has future :wink:

Oh here`s something else I have heard that the government is too put asylum seekers through their hgv test if they want to do it.
Mine cost me £2000 and was paid for out of my own pocket. I all so worked hard for mine. Something for a different thread me thimnks. This place gets madder.
:imp:

When those ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■ ■■■■ ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■ [zb][zb][zb] start to take over our livelihood I shall be looking to pursue an alternative career, they are not asylum seekers, they are ■■■■■■■ ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.
What job experience would they have?
Most are proficient at getting into a tilt or taut without being noticed so they would be able to tip the whole trailer without opening the curtains !! [zb]

Edited for rascist comments, rascism will not be tolerated on these forums. Mispelling words to defeat the Auto Censor is also not allowed. Coffeeholic

whilst on the subject on overtaking , i wish SOME so called professional drivers should remember their highway code.
it goes like this to those who cannot remember :

MIRROR
SIGNAL
MANOEUVRE (sp)

not the other way round :imp:

bigandy:
MIRROR
SIGNAL
MANOEUVRE (sp)

not the other way round :imp:

:open_mouth: You mean I`ve been doing it wrong all these years !
Sorry serious point I know :blush:

bigandy:
whilst on the subject on overtaking , i wish SOME so called professional drivers should remember their highway code.
it goes like this to those who cannot remember :

MIRROR
SIGNAL
MANOEUVRE (sp)

not the other way round

Yeah, the Highway Code is written by some nugget who wouldn’t know one end of a truck from the other. This nugget probably lives somewhere within the M25 and takes the tube to/from work everyday. The only driving experience he/she has, is driving to the supermarket at weekends. They then venture out onto the open road a few days per year and think they’re experts.

They drive down the slip road onto the motorway, right in front of you, at 40 mph. They don’t bother looking to see what’s already on the motorway until their crossing the dotted line. Then its straight onto the middle lane for the rest of their journey. They only use the inside lane for entering/exiting the motorway and don’t have the confidence to use the outside lane. And if you’re on the inside lane, about to overtake another vehicle, nugget is 150 yards behind you (on the middle lane). He/she sees your indicator, floors the accelerator to close the gap in the hope that it will discourage you from pulling out until they’ve passed.

There was a story by Dave Young in T&D, a few months back, referring to a comment made to him by a friend about trucks tailgating each other and how dangerous this practise was. Was his friend one of these “experts” who do 90 mph down the outside lane, 2 feet from the vehicle in front, reading the minutes from an earlier meeting, mobile phone clamped between his shoulder and ear, with a laptop open on the passenger seat, a cup of coffee between his knees, whose taken his eyes off the road to because he’s seen a lorry driver tailgate another HGV ? We could leave larger gaps before overtaking but then we’d be accused of “hogging” the middle lane. After that comment by Dave Young, I wouldn’t wipe my chocolate starfish with a copy of T&D, let alone buy one !

Brummie, did you happen to get your licence by grandfather rights or something?
The highway code is written to give some guidance to all road users.

It isnt the Roadcraft manual but a guide to the rules. more people should read it, especially the truck drivers who think they know better. rules change, road signs alter and it is the basis for courteous driving. It explains about where not to park, where to overtake, when to give warnings and when not.

That is why on another post on here the speed limit is treated as a target and not the maximum.

There isnt a seperate Highway Code book for car drivers or truck drivers, It is the same one. When did you last read it!

well said wheel nut.
the highway code is ( supposed ) to be a set of rules that we ALL stick to.
we are not all saints though and we all break the odd rule now and then , but when it is the same drivers are doing the same thing time and time again , and often being dangerous at the same time , it can get quite hairy on the already overcrowded roads.

would it really matter if a driver had to lift off the gas for a couple of seconds for another vehicle to pass before pulling out to overtake another truck.

we have heard all the excuses about losing momentum if we had to lift off the gas. BULL DROPPINGS. would it really matter if the load was a few minutes late , i do not think so.

agreed , the idiots to drive in the middle lane all day , the bigger idiots who have to be in the outside lane all day at reckless speeds are a pain in the bum , but unfortunatley it is something we have to put up with.
i am one of those people who , if it pays , i will drive it. be it a ■■■■■■ van to a fully loaded artic but i always have consideration for my fellow road users .

there is to much death and carnage on the roads these days and i do not want to add to it.

andy.