Overtaken by a wide load!

Coming down from Aberdeen this afternoon just after Newtonhill , I looked in my mirror and could see a truck about a quarter mile behind me , he was clearly carrying a wide load it was a red steel frame with chevrons attached I would guess it had about a 3 foot overhang each side, he was going into the middle of the road to avoid signs at the side of the road.

I was driving an arctic fully freighted and doing 52 mph on a dual carriageway , he pulled out and overtook me no wonder accidents happen :imp:

I would have pulled into the next layby for my own safety as I knew he was going to overtake but I did not get the chance.

No doubt someone will say “so what” in my opinion there was no way this was a safe
manoeuvre why would anyone drive on the limiter with a wide load ?

Seen it happen often with caravan/mobile home transporters taking up lanes 2&3 of a motorway with all lights flashing and the ■■■■■■ vehicle tagging along behind passing trucks travelling at normal speed.

Rather extracting the urine me thinks

glencarron:
why would anyone drive on the limiter with a wide load ?

i have done plenty of times, as long as its not stgo heavy and he got past you without running you off the road i dont see its anything to get excited about really

I met this on the back road from Brechin to Arbroath earlier and I can tell you he still wasn’t hanging about as I had to take avoiding action onto the grass verge :imp:

Why were you doing 52mph fully freighted :open_mouth: :open_mouth: do you know what could happen if you hit someone?
Calm down dear FFS, he was moving away from things like you said so obviously he was aware of things around him, no different from you moving out into the other lane to overtake a car etc.

chaversdad:

glencarron:

i have done plenty of times, as long as its not stgo heavy and he got past you without running you off the road i dont see its anything to get excited about really

This ^^^^^^^ . I pass loads of things in mine. I aint hanging about while you lug your 28 tonnes of baked beans around. Just cos it’s big don’t mean it’s heavy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I drive oversize at a constant 65mph and get overtaken by other, larger oversize, driven by women doing 75mph, use your mirrors and move out the way is usually a good rule to abide by (which you did).

I’m confused and I wonder if someone could clarify three things for me.

1. Was there an accident?

2. Did anyone die?

3. Is it just a fuss about nothing and both drivers concerned got on with their day with minimal or no inconvenience to each other?

i think from tomorrow i,m going to start adding a new post every time someone does something “a bit naughty”
look out for my 12 page thread about dinnertime :laughing: :wink:

chaversdad:
i think from tomorrow i,m going to start adding a new post every time someone does something “a bit naughty”
look out for my 12 page thread about dinnertime :laughing: :wink:

You not starting 'til 11 tomorrow then fella :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Coffeeholic:
3. Is it just a fuss about nothing and both drivers concerned got on with their day with minimal or no inconvenience to each other?

Its someone whinging about something he can’t do himself cos he’s never driven owt wider than the floor of the trailer.

I drive oversize at a constant 65mph and get overtaken by other, larger oversize, driven by women doing 75mph, use your mirrors and move out the way is usually a good rule to abide by (which you did).

thus speaks a driver used to Bradford taxis :smiley:

Conor:

Coffeeholic:

Its someone whinging about something he can’t do himself cos he’s never driven owt wider than the floor of the trailer.

Thanks for clearing that up. I will sleep better tomorrow.

del949:

thus speaks a driver used to Bradford taxis :smiley:

Quite true Del, perfect training zone.

Coffeeholic:

2. Did anyone die?

1. No

2. No

3. not that i can see

Hope this helps

mickyblue:

Coffeeholic:

2. Did anyone die?

1. No

2. No

3. not that i can see

Hope this helps

Most helpful, thank you.

I hope I can return the help one day.

I forgot my pot noodle today so I panicked and thought what the hell am I too do as I have no lunch in my cab, luckily I used my loaf and thought I will get a fat boy burger from Maccy Ds :smiley: Panic was over thanks to Mr Mcdonald

billybigrig:

chaversdad:

glencarron:

This ^^^^^^^ . I pass loads of things in mine. I aint hanging about while you lug your 28 tonnes of baked beans around. Just cos it’s big don’t mean it’s heavy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OK but what does it gain by taking the risk? another poster said he met it and had to take evasive action, and anyway it wasn’t baked beans it was bacon :grimacing:

how much overhang?
should’ve gone to specsavers. :laughing:

mickyblue:

Coffeeholic:

2. Did anyone die?

1. No

2. No

3. there’s no limit
    Hope this helps

(Yes, so more “no’s” were needed, but I couldn’t resist!)