Overtake - Transam Trucking

Dazzler:

Duple:
I’m a cyclist, and people like this, I have to say the majority of cyclists give us a bad name, they cycle like complete idiots with no courtesy to other road users, I’m not here to dig HGV drivers, I attempt to give them as much space as possible on the road, I also know a driver very well. These cyclist only post videos for attention, they’re 9 times out of 10 in the wrong. I don’t agree that our place is “in the gutter” we all have a place on the road, there just needs to be better education for both the cyclist and drivers.

As I said not here to have a dig, just to put across a different view! Great forum by the way :slight_smile:

When the day comes that cyclists have to pass some sort of test to show competence on the road, pay for the proportion of road that they use and have a registration plate so that they can be fined for jumping red lights or riding on pavements or not displaying lights etc etc, then the time may come when it is time for them ‘not to belong in the gutter’.

They can be reported for jumping red lights, also riding there bike in a dangerous manner and riding on the pavement.

selby newcomer:
them tossers that ride around in a group all dressed in Lycra do my nut in, they ride 2 or 3 wide and make it as difficult as possible to over take on country roads :imp: :imp: :imp:

My Dad beeps at them ones :smiling_imp: :laughing: and watch them look behide see if it’s the car behide :slight_smile:

Aaaahhhhh he got told see he soon ■■■■ him self when the truck stopped :unamused: :laughing:

Credit to then M&S driver if your on here Sir I will shake your hand and buy you a Pint :slight_smile:

From the vidioes its very hard to judge true distances, the cyclist in the first videio was in a fairly good position on the road giving himself plenty of room to avoid hazards, also i would always be atleast a meter away from parked cars as son many people cant be botherd to look before flinging there doors open.

I think the issue that they were getting at in both of those vids was the fact that the HGVs had the whole road to pass but chose to pass with in a foot of so of the cyclist, there was also no reason for the M&S driver in the second vid to cut in like he did and sound his horn although the cyclist was very far out for that stretch of road but still the driver could have held the right hand side for abit longer as there was nothing coming also seemed like the driver was being aggressive by sounding the horn then pulling in for aparantly no reason there was certainly no need for him to stop.
I really dont see what the people hoped to gain from putting them on youtube seemes a very pointless exercise to me, then again there are hundreds of pointless vids posted on youtube everyday

Cyclists should be registered in the same way as the rest of us road users. Then if there is a problem they can be identified and reported for the hundreds of offences that they commit every day.

Dont know what the date was when the TransAm video was taken, so there is a possibility it could be me driving, as that was my motor for a good while. Whoever was driving, i cant see a problem. If anything the bike is a bit too far out towards the middle of the road. I really cant see a problem and why it was recorded and put on youtube thou. Bloody cyclists.

emmerson2:
Cyclists should be registered in the same way as the rest of us road users. Then if there is a problem they can be identified and reported for the hundreds of offences that they commit every day.

If you cant see the hundreds of putfalls wtih that statement then you really should be back at school

mickyblue:

Dazzler:

Duple:
I’m a cyclist, and people like this, I have to say the majority of cyclists give us a bad name, they cycle like complete idiots with no courtesy to other road users, I’m not here to dig HGV drivers, I attempt to give them as much space as possible on the road, I also know a driver very well. These cyclist only post videos for attention, they’re 9 times out of 10 in the wrong. I don’t agree that our place is “in the gutter” we all have a place on the road, there just needs to be better education for both the cyclist and drivers.

As I said not here to have a dig, just to put across a different view! Great forum by the way :slight_smile:

When the day comes that cyclists have to pass some sort of test to show competence on the road, pay for the proportion of road that they use and have a registration plate so that they can be fined for jumping red lights or riding on pavements or not displaying lights etc etc, then the time may come when it is time for them ‘not to belong in the gutter’.

They can be reported for jumping red lights, also riding there bike in a dangerous manner and riding on the pavement.

But how can you report them if they have no means of identification showing?

N14ERF:

mickyblue:

Dazzler:

Duple:

But how can you report them if they have no means of identification showing?

If a police officer sees them he can ask them for identification same as a car and hand out a fixed penalty
Even wtih identification a report from a member fo the public wouldnt hold any weight much like if you reported a car to the police just with a reg plate nothing would get done about it.
To be honnest the argument about cyclists jumping red ligths is getting abit repetitive, yes a few cyclists do but if they get away with it then no harm done, yes its stupid and they shouldnt do it but its not like its going to harm anyone els, i also see hundreds of cars jumping red lights aswell doesnt mean i report all of them to the police, as unless it causes an accident then theres not much that can be doen anyway

In some circumstances on a bike you have to jump red lights when safe as the traffic lights wont detect a bike passing over the inductance loop in the road so the ligth will stay red until a car comes

Its a bit like the food chain:

Pedestrians moan about cyclists

Cyclists moan about everyone

Car drivers moan about trucks

Lorry drivers never moan about anyone and treat all road users with respect because we are perfect :laughing: :laughing:

AHT:
From the vidioes its very hard to judge true distances, the cyclist in the first videio was in a fairly good position on the road giving himself plenty of room to avoid hazards, also i would always be atleast a meter away from parked cars as son many people cant be botherd to look before flinging there doors open.

I think the issue that they were getting at in both of those vids was the fact that the HGVs had the whole road to pass but chose to pass with in a foot of so of the cyclist, there was also no reason for the M&S driver in the second vid to cut in like he did and sound his horn although the cyclist was very far out for that stretch of road but still the driver could have held the right hand side for abit longer as there was nothing coming also seemed like the driver was being aggressive by sounding the horn then pulling in for aparantly no reason there was certainly no need for him to stop.
I really dont see what the people hoped to gain from putting them on youtube seemes a very pointless exercise to me, then again there are hundreds of pointless vids posted on youtube everyday

You do realise that the M&S lorry only sounded his horn after the cyclist had sounded an air horn at him?

Kerbdog:
Watch the first vid from 8 seconds, then just pause it and move it on manually, look how far out the cyclist is from not just the kerb but from the vehicles that are parked. Idiot. Sad life when you look at it on youtube and see how many people are posting video’s with registrations, get a life !

Exactly what I thought, he was a mile off the kerb and the traffic, The truck was right imo.

merc0447:
I swear to god cyclists go looking for trouble half the time :unamused: When are they gonna learn there place is in the gutter and when the council do waste thousands painting cycles lanes they still dont bloody use them.

Both videos nothing wrong with them, both videos looked like there was a meter space that is plenty of room. If they are uncomfortable around large vehicles they should get off the roads.

Problem is ‘‘in the gutter’’ is where all the debris and potholes are plus the further out you are the more room you have if ■■■■ happens.
Also you get vacuum when a truck passes a cyclist at main road type speeds so space is crucial from a cyclists point of view.

The first vid, couldn’t see anything wrong but the 2nd vid the M&S driver did deliberately cut him up. Two wrongs don’t make a right and all that…

The ones who ride two abreast or don’t pull over when traffic behind is struggling to pass due to a narrow road, traffic islands or what ever bug my happiness…

DonutUK:

AHT:

You do realise that the M&S lorry only sounded his horn after the cyclist had sounded an air horn at him?

I find it hard to belive that the lorry driver would be able to hear one of those piddly little air horns, if he did then i think i need to get myself one
All the ones i have seen are only any good at shifting pedestrians out of cycle lanes.
I think im alot of cases you would struggle to hear a car horn in a truck

Now heres a clown of teh highest order

AHT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fMTAQyXTI&list=UUm6g2GP912ku4lPd-155-Vw&feature=plcp

What’s he on a skateboard with pedals ? :laughing:

Legend_Scania:

AHT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fMTAQyXTI&list=UUm6g2GP912ku4lPd-155-Vw&feature=plcp

Recumberant bicycle allot of people with back problems or limited mobility ride them

Cyclists don’t have to use cycle paths,they’re advised to but don’t have to. I don’t think it’s fair to generalize cyclists,just because you’ve had a bad experience with one, doesn’t mean we’re all the same. To the same token, if a HGV driver cut me up, would it be fair for me to then aggravate every other driver, just because one did something doesn’t mean they’re all bad; and no I’m not one of these cyclists that where’s head cameras who are just hunting for attention, yes I’ve had bad experiences with drivers, but I just get on with it. At every available farm gate or any spot feasible I pull in and let those behind me pass, however I do cycle on roads where traffic isn’t as bad and the number of HGV’s is low, so I don’t tend to have to many problems.

AHT:

Legend_Scania:

AHT:

Recumberant bicycle allot of people with back problems or limited mobility ride them

Ahhh cheers for posting a pic of what it looks like

I`ve got two bikes, a mountain bike and a road bike.

The reason some cyclists ride quite far out into the road is to deter vehicles from overtaking them when there is another vehicle oncoming. If you ride really close to the kerb it encourages vehicles to overtake you, often at a dangerous time. Personally, I wouldnt overtake a cyclist when there is a vehicle oncoming. As a cyclist I always give other cyclists more room than the majority of people do, purely because I like it when vehicles do the same to me. Sometimes you suddenly need to go round a pothole or manhole cover so need more room. I cant really tell how close the M&S truck is to the cyclist, initially I didnt think it looked that close but the video could be misleading. I do find that some drivers go to close on purpose, its always when theres nothing coming the other direction as well so no reason they cant pull over and give a decent amount of room.
I would say that the vast majority of drivers of any vehicle just hate having anything at all slow them up, even if its for a couple of metres. Nobody has any patience. Ive never had a problem with a lorry overtaking me, when I go out on my road bike I purposely avoid main/busy roads. The one thing that really annoys me about other cyclists is the ones I see every morning when its pitch black wobbling along the road with no lights on. 100% braindead

That bike above is SO dangerous IMO. I used to see a guy around my way on one. If you ever needed to put your feet down to steady yourself or got a wobble on you`d be laying in the middle of the road. They look like a deathtrap to me