Overspeed

Driving on the M25 toward Dartford bridge, I’m in a new Acros it has something called eco roll so it is in eco roll, I didn’t notice I was doing 60 and had tco overspeed warning on the dash, I started to slow down and it comes up with overspeed notice will I get an infringement for it? What winds me up is that it was under 60mph which is the legal limit on the motorway so why should you get screwed for it.

No, the overspeed on the tacho head can be set below the legal speed limit, my tachograph data is scrutinized and “paddy’s overdrive” is used by myself towards the 60 limit with no comments or infringements.

Cant say i’ve ever had an infringement for it but was told by vosa to slow down… Out of interest does your company give you a telling off then if you get infringements?

if u want to stop the ecoroll set cruise and knock it into manual it wont do it then :smiley:

I always get that overspeed when i hit the M20 that kin hill, if the speed limit is 60mph whats the problem kin stupid idea, my truck is limited to 55mph so the overspeed come on everytime i go over that speed.

lost:
I always get that overspeed when i hit the M20 that kin hill, if the speed limit is 60mph whats the problem kin stupid idea, my truck is limited to 55mph so the overspeed come on everytime i go over that speed.

To be honest mate, complaining about your truck overspeeding is a bit like complaining the radio is too loud! The throttle works both ways you know.

She’s a caged animal man, let her go.

You’ve been in that V8 too long! :slight_smile:

On the older Actros there used to be an amber overspeed warning flashed up. A few seconds after it would turn red and flash up on the tacho. If you slowed down before it turned red it wouldn’t register. Not sure about the new Actros.

Yeah the new Actros gives a warning too. About 5 secs before the digi flashes.

NewLad:
…will I get an infringement for it? …

As someone returning to driving and about to send off for my first digi tacho card, tis a new theatre for me, which is going to be interesting.

But the logic here suggests that even though the tacho may have registered an overspeed, you weren’t actually speeding, therefore you should do a print off and make a note… acknowledge the overspeed alert - but note that you were on a motorway doing no more than 60.

Like I said though, tis all theory on my part… others will no doubt know better - so please do tell… I’m interested in how this works for future ref…

Just an aside…I was coming down the Woodhead Pass going to Yorkshire a few weeks ago so decided to kick out of gear & roll. My tacho is a VDO and I know what happens, so I sat on the brakes at about 59mph all the way. Guess what…I still got the overspeed notice. Now technically I was speeding, but how the heck did my tacho know that I wasn’t on a motorway where I’m allowed to do up to 60?

NewLad:
Driving on the M25 toward Dartford bridge, I’m in a new Acros it has something called eco roll so it is in eco roll, I didn’t notice I was doing 60 and had tco overspeed warning on the dash, I started to slow down and it comes up with overspeed notice will I get an infringement for it? What winds me up is that it was under 60mph which is the legal limit on the motorway so why should you get screwed for it.

Tachograph records can only be used to enforce a speed violation if you are actually stopped by police for speeding, it wouldn’t matter if it touched 100mph, the records can’t be used. If VOSA tried to fine you then go to court with a lawyer, you will win the case.

Pat Hasler:
Tachograph records can only be used to enforce a speed violation if you are actually stopped by police for speeding, it wouldn’t matter if it touched 100mph, the records can’t be used. If VOSA tried to fine you then go to court with a lawyer, you will win the case.

That certainly used to be the case and I would suspect it still is. The other side of that coin is you can use the tacho in your defence if there is a not guilty plea.

That said, I do wonder what is happening with the downloaded data… how long will it be before the legal system is happy to rely on the technology to bring about legal charges, or possibly financial charges by means of instant fines. You would think they (VOSA) would recognise the difference between the rare and the regular.

Perhaps what we do today may be used in the future.

Born Idle:
Just an aside…I was coming down the Woodhead Pass going to Yorkshire a few weeks ago so decided to kick out of gear & roll. My tacho is a VDO and I know what happens, so I sat on the brakes at about 59mph all the way. Guess what…I still got the overspeed notice. Now technically I was speeding, but how the heck did my tacho know that I wasn’t on a motorway where I’m allowed to do up to 60?

Not sure if serious. :open_mouth:

hyper26:
if u want to stop the ecoroll set cruise and knock it into manual it wont do it then :smiley:

Why do that when there are 2 buttons on the dash that will control your overrun speed? :unamused: One increases the amount of overrun allowed before the retarder kicks in and pressing the other button reduces it. It’s a picture of a speedometer with a wide band round the outside on one of them (to increase overrun) and a narrow band on the other (to decrease it).

NewLad:

I know the feeling. On cc and the E kicks in and the lorry is going faster :smiley:

Boomerang Dave:

NewLad:
…will I get an infringement for it? …

As someone returning to driving and about to send off for my first digi tacho card, tis a new theatre for me, which is going to be interesting.

But the logic here suggests that even though the tacho may have registered an overspeed, you weren’t actually speeding, therefore you should do a print off and make a note… acknowledge the overspeed alert - but note that you were on a motorway doing no more than 60.

Like I said though, tis all theory on my part… others will no doubt know better - so please do tell… I’m interested in how this works for future ref…

For most of us an overspeed warning is just a nuisance. It flashes, I kill it. My boss isn’t interested. Some companies take it more seriously so all you have to do is drive more slowly - use the exhaust brake and then the footbrake if needs be. The law says 60 mph. Employers can say anything they want.

Our company runs a points system, so every infringement carries 3 points, and 18 points equals a disciplinary.
3 points is allocated to the driver for all overspeeds, even if they do not overspeed the legal roadwork limits, so 58mph on a motorway will get a driver 3 points, and a letter which you have to sign, accepting the infringement, very unfair i think.

It says on tachomaster that you can’t get done on overspeed it’s not a infidgement