Overspeed [digi card tacho] question

Sorry if this is the wrong area to post, just a quick question about overspeed.

Does the tachograph register this if the vehicle exceeds the set speed on the limiter or is it hooked up with the tracker / GPS and record overspeed for the type of road i’m on (single / dual carraigeway) and does it count as an infringement.

I’m on analogue at the moment and my changeovers are taking me 8hr 40m driving time every shift covering 677k’s per shift. This is a concern for me as i don’t think this will be do-able when we go digital and i ain’t losing my licence for nothing if infringements are going to be recorded on the digi-card.

thanks in advance…

You will get excess speed infringments/advisory ** if you go over 60 mph or 95 km/h or whatever it is exactly in kilometres …(for more than one minute)
Same as you would with an analogue tacho analysis …
It records the excess speed on the card .
Same as the analogue tacho records it on the chart …

You will get an overspeed warning if you are over 90km/h for more than one minute …Keep it between 90 km/h and 95km/h and you will be ok , you will get the overspeed warning come up but don’t worry about it …

I think in 18 months on digi I have had about 4 excess speed infringements/advisory** .

Digi isn’t out to get you know , it’s not a big bad thing :laughing: :laughing: It will record whatever you do , same as the analogue …
In fact if you do exceed 60 mph and get the speed down before the minute has elapsed then it won’t register an excess speed , the analogue chart will record it .

** Can’t remember if it comes back as an infringement or advisory , see it’s been that long since I got one :laughing:

Oh and a drivers myth can be squahed as well . The digi tacho isn’t hooked up to a gps tracker so it can’t tell what type of road you are on and what speed you are doing , vosa won’t automatically request a fine via the use of putting a credit card into slot 2 :wink:
However if vosa if ever checked your depot and the roads surrounding it and see that you are over the speed limits for the type of roads then expect to get done , same rule applies to analogue …

bbez:
Does the tachograph register this if the vehicle exceeds the set speed on the limiter or is it hooked up with the tracker / GPS and record overspeed for the type of road i’m on (single / dual carraigeway) and does it count as an infringement.

1. It registers if you exceed the set speed on the limiter, so if you do 91 or more for over a minute, it’s registered.
  2. Hooked up with the tracker/GPS :question: :question: :smiley: :smiley: , is that what a mate told you ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
    You can’t hook them up to a tracker/GPS, they haven’t been designed or built to do that. They can’t even add up your driving time and warn you you’re getting close to 9 or 10 hours driving, let alone anything else.

bbez:
I’m on analogue at the moment and my changeovers are taking me 8hr 40m driving time every shift covering 677k’s per shift. This is a concern for me as i don’t think this will be do-able when we go digital and i ain’t losing my licence for nothing if infringements are going to be recorded on the digi-card.

Thats an average speed of 78 km/h, which is perfectly do-able. You may find that a digi-tacho records a bit more time than 8.40, but I doubt it’ll be 20 minutes more. I’ve been using a digi-tacho for nearly a year now and frequently do well in excess of 800 km in a 10 hour driving shift, perfectly legally.
I keep a written record of my driving time, to try and ensure I don’t go over.

thanks for clearing that up guys, the run i’m doing is mostly non motorway (fife to teeside and back) in a shift…

have a look at this site

HERE

The above site whould help you out.

I try to get the Overspeed thing to flash up a couple of times a day, just so I have the potential for an argument when they try to say I have an infringement. It’s no problem when I am on the German run as the M20 makes it easy, not so easy on the Dublin run.

I get four a day all between J30 and 28 of the M1 for exceeding 56MPH. Make a deliberate point of doing it as well as the legal limit in this country for a lorry is 60.

Stuff Brussels.

Conor:
Make a deliberate point of doing it as well as the legal limit in this country for a lorry is 60.

Yep, me too.

i thought you could run up to 60 before you got overspeed come up :question: , i didnt think it flashed up overspeed at anything over 56 , im sure my m.a.n was 60 as i remember holding it to just under 60 down hopwood on a night ,or do they vary :question:

Im curious about this too, my Atego 7.5t will overspeed at 93kmh it seems but our other atego 7.5t only does it 97kmh !! Why ■■

ady1:
i thought you could run up to 60 before you got overspeed come up :question: , i didnt think it flashed up overspeed at anything over 56 , im sure my m.a.n was 60 as i remember holding it to just under 60 down hopwood on a night ,or do they vary :question:

Every digi truck I have driven initiates an overspeed if you have exceeded 90km/h for more than one minute . Messing about with it to thest the theory and you can get an overspeed at 91km/h .
As already mentioned above , don’t worry about any overspeed at 60mph and under , the legal limit is 60 on a motorway and could not be contested in a court of law .

Some of our trucks are limited to 50mph :unamused: and so the overspeed flashes when we get it over 55mph on the hills :angry:

Perhaps they can be set to different speeds as the warning light on the analogue tacho can.

Coffeeholic:

Conor:
Make a deliberate point of doing it as well as the legal limit in this country for a lorry is 60.

Yep, me too.

And me.

If you’re exceeding the limiter then I was told it falls under “construction and use”, whether or not this is true I don’t know, as it seems absolutely everything could come under that category yet I’ve not heard of anyone getting one. It doesn’t make sense though anyway, as the limiter on most of our trucks is set at 86, yet the overspeed only kicks in if you maintain a speed of 91 or above for 1minute, which is above the limiter.

this is meant as an observation rather than a critisism

if you are worried about overspeed because of time and distance and lack of motorway i would suggest that you have been given a run that cant be done legally
vis a vis sticking to 40 (70) 50 (80) 60 (asap)

i think for one night only you test to see how long it takes to drive at or about the speed limit

either do it all the way or over a couple of nights one way

if it takes more than 9 hours then well mmmm the bosses will have to make other arrangments

or come to some other suitable arrangment

where do you start / finis

Conor:
I get four a day all between J30 and 28 of the M1 for exceeding 56MPH. .

Me too, in fact I can get the old girl up to 85mph on the drop down towards the River Medway.

paul@midway:
You will get excess speed infringments/advisory ** if you go over 60 mph or 95 km/h or whatever it is exactly in kilometres …(for more than one minute)
Same as you would with an analogue tacho analysis …
It records the excess speed on the card .
Same as the analogue tacho records it on the chart …

You will get an overspeed warning if you are over 90km/h for more than one minute …Keep it between 90 km/h and 95km/h and you will be ok , you will get the overspeed warning come up but don’t worry about it …

I think in 18 months on digi I have had about 4 excess speed infringements/advisory** .

Digi isn’t out to get you know , it’s not a big bad thing :laughing: :laughing: It will record whatever you do , same as the analogue …
In fact if you do exceed 60 mph and get the speed down before the minute has elapsed then it won’t register an excess speed , the analogue chart will record it .

** Can’t remember if it comes back as an infringement or advisory , see it’s been that long since I got one :laughing:

Oh and a drivers myth can be squahed as well . The digi tacho isn’t hooked up to a gps tracker so it can’t tell what type of road you are on and what speed you are doing , vosa won’t automatically request a fine via the use of putting a credit card into slot 2 :wink:
However if vosa if ever checked your depot and the roads surrounding it and see that you are over the speed limits for the type of roads then expect to get done , same rule applies to analogue …

:exclamation: But,Vosa can check where,and on which Roads you travel,if they will,without you know it.
:bulb: Is all fitted,they just have to use it.

Dream on fred .