Overreacted?

Picture this, 4am doing my daily checks only to find a screw imbedded in the groove of the tag axle tyre. It’s fairly deeply imbedded as I’m can’t prise it out with bare fingers. It’s also level with the base of the tyre so since I have weight on it would get pushed in further and further. Was I doing the right thing by calling the tyre fitter out? Or should I of just left it and got on with the job?

Still waiting for the fitter now.

You have really mate did you check to see if any air was escaping? screws generally seal them selves i’d be more worried about a bolt or something in the tyre :smiley: :smiley:

I usually pull them out with pliers, you can generally tell if they’re long enough to have gone through or not.
Then, if it stays up happy days but if it deflates call the fitter.

I’d have pulled it out with pliers, if it deflates then mark the spot and call out the fitter. If it isn’t leaking then the screw was just held in the “meat” of the tyre.

I must confess, first time I had this happen, I did the same as you.

Pull it out to spare the pain later. Run a bit of water over it to see if any air escaping.

It’s nice to hear of a company allowing you time to do your daily checks, my old planner told me when he was tramping ( news to me he even had a licence :question: ) , that he started at 4 am and the wheels were turning at 4 a.m :unamused: , I guess it was his pep talk when we started the job , but in one ear and out the other

Just leave it there until the tyre either goes down or blows.

Best way, as other said , pull it out with pliers and check if air escaping, continue with your pre trip inspection. After 15 min if everything is OK with the tire go, if had lost air call a fitter.
Don’t drive with screw in the tire, don’t endanger your life the the life of others.
I had tire blow years ago, the sound scare the driver in car driving next to me who almost hit a concrete lane divider.

Tyre fitter pulled the nail out, it was longer than I expected. Fitter said I did the right then though, had the tyre been older then it might of been a different story but hey ho, still new to this, each day learn something new.

Truckbling:

And the debris is thrown across the motorway causing an accident, and you rip an airbag off and cost your company more money. :unamused:

you did the right thing…

Truckbling:

This is terrible advice. I hope you were joking…

Oh, and by the way Radar, well spotted, plenty would have missed it in the first place!

F-reds:

Truckbling:

Oh, and by the way Radar, well spotted, plenty would have missed it in the first place!

Only spotted it by chance, ran my fingers through the groove only to find it.

Tyre fitter would have loved it, the perfect call out, nice ultra safe early start ££ in a yard with a tyre still inflated, no searching for a lorry on a hard shoulder with traffic hurtling by or a ■■■■ stinking layby in the middle of nowhere with the tyre completely flat in a deep puddle.

Its always a difficult call, for what appears to be a screw going in straightish not close to the sidewall i would have checked it for leakage and pressure, then if all ok would probably have left it be depending on customer requirements (such as just in time distribution), kept an eye on it during the shift then got it done after the shift at the local tyre depot or at a more convenient time preferably empty by pre arranging over the phone with our local tyre depot a visit to a group tyre depot in order to keep costs down, or if it has to be a call out makes sense to arrange one whilst you’re on a break or in a queue somewhere to suit you.

If close to the sidewall its a different call cos the object might be scraping the sidewall with each revolution eventually leading to sudden total failure.

Radar19:

F-reds:

Truckbling:

Only spotted it by chance, ran my fingers through the groove only to find it.

I agree with F-reds on both his statements.

Don’t do yourself down Radar, you didn’t spot it by chance, you found it doing a thorough check :smiley: . More thorough than many of us older drivers would do, if we are being truly honest :open_mouth: (though I do have a flat LED torch that fits between mud wings and tyres with the suspension raised, and is good for spotting tyre issues :wink: )

Never leave any problem or potential problem of any nature, at the end off the day, its safer to stay where you are, than be stuck on the side of the road :open_mouth:

I carry a trigger bottle with some weak detergent in it, squirt over a nail/bolt/screw in a tyre and watch for the bubbles, see bubbles call a tyre fitter, if not as others have said pull out with pliers, then squirt again to check that its still air tight :wink:

I did once call a fitter out to fit an LV board, I could of done it myself, but I was being deliberately awkward. I had popped into the workshop the night before(6pm-ish) fitter just shrugged his shoulders and cleared off home(it was only a 5 minute job), so I did the same. Next morning called the night mobile at 5am, and one of the other fitters came out, he wasn’t best than pleased, I just shrugged my shoulders, again :wink:

Darkside:

Truckbling:

And the debris is thrown across the motorway causing an accident, and you rip an airbag off and cost your company more money. :unamused:
you did the right thing…
[/quote]
Thats what i was thinking ffs :laughing: :laughing:

Dodgy screws can be a pain in the arse. You never know how deep there in till you pull it out.

Surprised no one suggested using a screwdriver to remove it, you daft buggers. If the tyre starts to fanny ■■■■ after a couple of screw turns then odds are it’s in nice and deep.

Back in the day id have probably cracked on till suitable time to replace, nowadays though it’s a VOR to arsecover, so yep think you did the right thing.

Screw penetration isn’t an exact science though, so one man’s dodgy off the road screw is anothers acceptable keep her lit scenario.

What’s more difficult is seeing the word screw and not being rude, think I managed it.

Radar19:
ran my fingers through the groove

I’d go careful doing that.

Dipper_Dave:

What’s more difficult is seeing the word screw and not being rude, think I managed it.

Yes’ that’s quite disappointing :wink:

But where there is a dieseldog, there’s still hope :smiley:

Truckbling:

■■■■ quality :unamused: :unamused:

One of our scottish drivers left a screw in. By the time he’d got to Lockerbie to do the changeover with me it was starting to go down. I called a fitter out and it had gone right through and was half flat by the time he’d arrived. If I’d set off it would’ve gone on the A66 and being on the drivers side would’ve been dangerous for the tyre fitter to change.

When deciding whether or not to call them out when doing your checks you have to remember that if it does go that sods law dictates it’ll be on the motorway where some poor sod has to take his life in his hands to change the tyre.