Overnighting tips

Hi, Squiddy here

I’ve been told to expect to have to start overnighting in a few months.

Any tips? I’ve read the thread about what kit to take, but what about parking up, showers, safety etc?

They say I will get £30 extra tax free for every night out. How much does it cost to park in a MSA and do they charge extra for the showers? Would I be better off just parking in a layby and using wet wipes and just keep the money? Or parking near a leisure centre (if legal) and going for a swim in the morning and using the showers there :slight_smile:

Any tips on overnighting will be most welcome

Squiddy:
Hi, Squiddy here

They say I will get £30 extra tax free for every night out. How much does it cost to park in a MSA and do they charge extra for the showers? Would I be better off just parking in a layby and using wet wipes and just keep the money? Or parking near a leisure centre (if legal) and going for a swim in the morning and using the showers there :slight_smile:

this could be a long thread, but your night out money isn’t really supposed to be for paying to park !

You will need plastic flip flops for the showers,to prevent athletes foot and other bugs from multiple use.I have used showers at campsites abroad,and places where there are boats and canal barges ,have free showers,you may have to ask for a key at a cafe though.

make a point of finding the best places to park,ask other drivers where they park.i only use msas for tacho breaks.if you eat the food they serve regularly youll kill yourself or end up broke :laughing: keep a stock of food in the cab and some make shift washing gear,you can allways get a shower the next morning if youve had to rough it. for entertainment i take the computer but to be honest by the time ive done a cook up and downed a couple of beers im ready for bed unless i have to take an eleven like tonight. when nighting out i also like to work maximum hours,i see no point in baby sitting someone elses truck for fun
it can get a bit lonely but thats where your friends on here come in handy.

Try and park up somewhere nice. I loved it when I woke up in the morning looking at some of Gods’ best work. Waking up outside a loo roll factory in Oldham is a bit different! Have breakfast with you at all times even if that’s just a cuppa. And some stuff to help you freshen up if you’re in the back of beyond will all help to get you ready for another day.

commonrail:
for entertainment i take the computer but to be honest by the time ive done a cook up and downed a couple of beers im ready for bed

Got me laptop and inverter sorted and a small gas stove :slight_smile:

What’s the legal situation regarding a few beers? I know you can get done for being drunk in charge of a vehicle if you are sat in your car without driving it, but is the law different if you are in a sleeper cab as technically it is your accommodation for the night?

Squiddy:
What’s the legal situation regarding a few beers? I know you can get done for being drunk in charge of a vehicle if you are sat in your car without driving it, but is the law different if you are in a sleeper cab as technically it is your accommodation for the night?

Make certain that you have no intention of driving such as closing your curtains and if possible put the keys well away from the ignition and you will not have any problems

Make certain you will be legal to drive the following morning as many drivers have been caught being over the limit the next day - it has become one of the favourite times to catch drivers over the limit

Squiddy:

commonrail:
for entertainment i take the computer but to be honest by the time ive done a cook up and downed a couple of beers im ready for bed

Got me laptop and inverter sorted and a small gas stove :slight_smile:

Many moons ago, when I used to park up on The Island Cafe, we had a copper turn up one evening to warn us about that, so we swapped our keys for the night and sorted them out the next morning over breakfast - took a while as we couldn’t remember who had who’s keys after a couple of beers :blush:
I’m pretty sure that the rules on drunk in charge are still the same, unfortunately.

I just asked sussex police about this.

They replied with

I have searched our internal system for the answer to your query and it states as such:

Driving: Tends to be the person having control of the direction and speed of the vehicle.
In Charge: There is no hard and fast rule about being ?In Charge? but considerations are:
a) How had the vehicle got to where it was when the defendant was arrested?
(b) Was the defendant in charge at the time ? If they were in or near the vehicle, why were they there?
(c) When had they last driven it ?
(d) When and where had they been drinking ?
(e) What was the time of their last drink and what had they been doing since then ?
(f) What were their immediate and future intended movements? THIS POINT IS IMPORTANT. C.P.S. are unlikely to take the case forward unless there is evidence that the suspect was likely to drive whilst under the influence of drink/drugs (thus cancelling out the statutory defence). Statutory Defence is that at the time the defendant could reasonable show there was no prospect that they intended to drive.

In my experience (albeit more than 5 years ago) yes. But if you’re concerned, pull the curtains then they can’t see you drinking :wink:

Copper - Are you going try drive that lorry sir
Driver - Am i ■■■■■■■■, I am too ■■■■■■ to get in the bloody thing
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

44 Tonne Ton:
Waking up outside a loo roll factory in Oldham is a bit different!

Whats wrong with Oldham :angry:
Or would it be easier to say whats right with it :laughing:

Be careful when believing what the police tell you. I have a friend who is a criminal barrister for the CPS and he spends half his working day explaining the law to police officers that do not understand the ins and outs of it and what constitutes evidence or not. They won’t mislead you intentionally (probably) but take care as if they get it wrong, you can’t defend yourself with ‘but he told me it was OK’

Personally, I would steer clear of exceessive drinking while in a truck overnighting. Just too ■■■■ risky.

Hey Squiddy,
I believe you will be paying around £20 - £25 a night in MSA for the night, but if you pay an extra £3 or something like that you can get a meal thrown in at some if not all of them. (You’ll end up with a coronary if you do too much of that so choose your food carefully).
The £30 you refer to should be a sort of bonus to you for the extra hassle of being away overnight, and your employer would normally pay for a place to park separate to that. If you do pay for parking your employers vehicle, make sure you keep the receipt or you may not get it back! I have worked for a firm who carried low value loads and “suggested” parking on industrial estates or anywhere else I saw other trucks parked for the night, but they were tightwads and they’re not all like that…
Good luck!

with regards to drinking i always find if i have a few beers when im sleeping in a lorry
i end up all night peeing,no other time just in a truck :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
thats why I keep a bottle of wine on the passangers step these days :smiley: :smiley:

Squiddy:
I just asked sussex police about this.

They replied with

I have searched our internal system for the answer to your query and it states as such:

Driving: Tends to be the person having control of the direction and speed of the vehicle.
In Charge: There is no hard and fast rule about being ?In Charge? but considerations are:
a) How had the vehicle got to where it was when the defendant was arrested?
(b) Was the defendant in charge at the time ? If they were in or near the vehicle, why were they there?
(c) When had they last driven it ?
(d) When and where had they been drinking ?
(e) What was the time of their last drink and what had they been doing since then ?
(f) What were their immediate and future intended movements? THIS POINT IS IMPORTANT. C.P.S. are unlikely to take the case forward unless there is evidence that the suspect was likely to drive whilst under the influence of drink/drugs (thus cancelling out the statutory defence). Statutory Defence is that at the time the defendant could reasonable show there was no prospect that they intended to drive.

A similar case already went to court and was overturned on appeal. It was a car, but the principles involved are the same.

thisislondon.co.uk/news/arti … -rights.do

Peter Sheldrake was the victim

“the prosecution had to prove beyond reasonable doubt that there was a “real risk” of his driving.”

This is an important point for professional drivers. If you’re scheduled to be back on the road by a certain time to comply with a delivery or pick up then you must ensure you are legally able to do so after a night on the beer or you will be charged with the offence mentioned.

i always try and find a truckstop as they’re generally cheaper, better food and cleaner showers. iv got atruckers handbook that list all places to stop throughout uk which is handy. i only park in a layby when empty. i get £26 night out allowance and my parking i claim back when back at base. always take some extra food and water just incase you have to stop in a layby

The Sarge:

Squiddy:

commonrail:
for entertainment i take the computer but to be

I remember tv programme called motorway cops who arrested a h g v driver in woman cloths for being drunk
he got 11 points plus a big fine can’t remember what . He had is curtains shut and was in no fit state to drive so be warned.