Overnight road works

I know they need to do important work when the roads are less busy, it is a pain for the night trunkers on pallets and parcels , but do these road workers actually do any work at night ?
Almost everyday, the radio traffic reports of road works that have not ended by the time stated on the warning signs, we hear over running road works is now causing delays to rush hour traffic .
What have they been doing all night ?
Drinking tea, rolling ■■■■ and sleeping , and playing on their phones ?

All over the UK, I see signs of shut roads at night, ,more often than before .

M5 shut early doors today after Portishead for roadworks.

I have seen workers installing stuff into the gantry’s on the M62 at night. J18 to 20 normally get closed at the moment.

M4 J12 to J13 shut all weekend apparently :open_mouth:

M62/M60 is horrendous at the moment for night closures and exit closures. What pees me off the most is when you drive past there is very little ‘work’ going on and countless times lanes closed off dont even have a single guy working in the closed area!

What pees me off, overhead gantry signs that say road shut, you follow the diversion, and I could see that at the allocated time of the closure, it was not closed, and I could off taken that route, by the time I have gone on a wild goose chase to go back where I needed to go, another road is shut .
By the time you have faffed around, another road is shut sending traffic on a road to nowhere .
Through housing estates, which must annoy residents trying to sleep with thundering menacing juggernauts mounting the pavements to get around double parked cars, while shaking the foundations to the houses .
You can spend half the night messing around with wasted fuel, wear and tear on the vehicle, more wages to pay, the UK is a joke.
Highways Agency should be shot at dawn, for wasting tax payers money . :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Went from willenhall to Salisbury at 4 this morning rang Highways bod last night said “M5 south 3-7” planned full closure 22.00-06.00 bugger I thought.
Rang highways back at 3.45 this morning said “All clear no motorway closures” said planned closures and works not started tonight might be tonight instead.
Hardly saw a truck let alone a car all the way to Salisbury.

Spend most of the night doing health and safety meetings then after hours of that fix a pothole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might think they close to many lanes,and go on for miles, but a lot of survey work is done by probably a single van, with 2 guys marking, and measuring, for next weeks planned work. Don’t be fooled, thinking they do nothing, it’s amazing, what they do, in the time they have, take planning a section, its planned out, tarmac layed and white lined, it is executed like a military excercise. Also, you may think they are stood about, doing nothing, 9 times out of 10, they are waiting for a permit to work, until, that is issued, they cannot do anything, say for instance, a machine driver, thinks sod it, I’ll start digging anyway, they will be thrown of job straight away, health and safety is king, until you actually, do roadwork jobs, you don’t realise, what is involved, hope this helps, put a perspective on the job. :smiley:

bald bloke:

It was great at work today, M4 around Reading area was deserted

bald bloke:

M3 Junc 3-2 shut in both directions all next weekend

perkibre:
You might think they close to many lanes,and go on for miles, but a lot of survey work is done by probably a single van, with 2 guys marking, and measuring, for next weeks planned work. Don’t be fooled, thinking they do nothing, it’s amazing, what they do, in the time they have, take planning a section, its planned out, tarmac layed and white lined, it is executed like a military excercise. Also, you may think they are stood about, doing nothing, 9 times out of 10, they are waiting for a permit to work, until, that is issued, they cannot do anything, say for instance, a machine driver, thinks sod it, I’ll start digging anyway, they will be thrown of job straight away, health and safety is king, until you actually, do roadwork jobs, you don’t realise, what is involved, hope this helps, put a perspective on the job. :smiley:

I have. It only takes one tipper showing up with either the vehicle or the driver to not 100% compliant (down to the right shade of orange condom worn), for the job to be canceled. The road crews are lazy duckers, they get paid, the tipper company gets billed, and the job doesn’t get done.

Last week the m62 was closed westbound 33-32 and 20-18, whilst eastbound was closed 28-29 and 37-38. Closed along four different stretches at the same time.

And don’t get me started on the m1 j28-32. Two years after a five year project has finished, they’re still shutting down lanes.

Highways England are not fit for purpose.

perkibre:

You say they aren’t stood about doing nothing then in the same sentence say 9 times out of 10 they are stood doing nothing because they don’t have a permit to work.

Ok.

A.

Captain Caveman 76:
Last week the m62 was closed westbound 33-32 and 20-18, whilst eastbound was closed 28-29 and 37-38. Closed along four different stretches at the same time.

And don’t get me started on the m1 j28-32. Two years after a five year project has finished, they’re still shutting down lanes.

Highways England are not fit for purpose.

I have said it before back in 2014 the Highways Agency have become a standing joke amongst the overnight trunking companies.

How on earth you are supposed to run an efficient overnight time sensitive delivery business using the motorway network is beyond me it seem these last five years that the overnight closures on our major roads has got totally out of hand.

The Highways Agency should be held accountable to some one but it seems that they are a law totally unto themselves.

Here’s a typical nights closures…

Road Closure 2-001.jpg