Overnight Parking

Greetings,

Having recently passed my class one license, I am now doing nights out. When we have a load on we are expected to use secure parking to protect the load from thieves. (Although I would like to see them steal a 2 tonne paper reel) How does your company go about paying for this. We are expected to pay it ourselves and claim it back on expenses, however we only get the expenses back at the end of the month in our paycheck. So each month I could be upto £400 down using my bank account basically to fund what the company should be paying, and when I get it back at the end of the month the cycle starts again.

What do you suggest? What does your company do?

My current idea is for the drivers to have them top up debit cards, that the bosses can put money on and we have to provide proof that it was used for parking, which seems fair to me. Although I can see the issue being that the boss does not like the weekly expenditure affecting his figures, although its all swings and roundabouts. Frankly I cant afford to fund the parking month to month.

Dogmatix:
What do you suggest?

Park on industrial estates, leave a back door open and submit Mickey Mouse parking receipts :wink:

:grimacing:

Aside point, that sounds like a damned fridge parking up next to me.

Yea, one thing I never do is park anywhere near other trucks, they are noisy and the whole place is guaranteed to smell of stale urine. Why pay for that when you can park somewhere clean and quiet for free?

If they don`t want to give you a float then its expenses weekly as a sub if need be to come off your cheque but they should be in advance.

Lucky I dont work there as I am skint the now with 2 and a half weeks to go.

Just ask them for a float, tell them straight that you cannot afford £400 a month upfront.

If all else fails then get a credit card, use it only for that, and settle it every month. That way it shouldn’t cost anything. You can get points or cashback too if you get the right card.

Santa:
If all else fails then get a credit card, use it only for that, and settle it every month. That way it shouldn’t cost anything. You can get points or cashback too if you get the right card.

Good idea…if they won’t give you a float.

MBNA Halfords credit card, gets you money off vouchers at Halfords, pay it off each month and currently it is zero cost.

BUT…companies SHOULD give you a float

I shall have a chat with them about it, I have worked for them for 3 years now, so I know they are not a cowboy outfit and are a very good company to work for.

Santa:

:blush: DOH :exclamation: :blush:
What a bloody good idea, never thought of tha when I was on the road. We used to get our expenses weekly at the last place I worked though paid monthly, but it was by cheque which really didn’t help that much but at least it lessened the pain a bit.
‘Crazytrucker’

Santa:

Why should the op get a credit card when it’s not his truck, and his gaffer wants it parking securely? He still is in arrears monthly regardless of whether it’s paid for by cash or card.

The company should provide a credit card/float for their requirements, or perhaps pay the op weekly instead if he has to shell out to park their truck.

Ken.

Quinny:

Santa:

Why should the op get a credit card when it’s not his truck, and his gaffer wants it parking securely? He still is in arrears monthly regardless of whether it’s paid for by cash or card.

The company should provide a credit card/float for their requirements, or perhaps pay the op weekly instead if he has to shell out to park their truck.

Ken.

We’ve still got that old chesnut to contend with, just where is secure these days? That certainly hasn’t improved much since I packed it in.

‘Crazytrucker’

With my last job we had £200 cash float, rarely used it.