Overnight parking of hgv's in residential areas

Got back to the yard at 10.30 last night to find the gate locked. Boss usually leaves it open for me, but he forgot. :unamused: So as Iwas driving the 7.5tonner I took it home and parked it on our street. :blush:

Nobody complained and it was a one off, so no harm done. However, I wouldnā€™t want one parked on the street outside all the time either.

For the last 3 weeks Iā€™ve had a white flatbed parked outside the flats here. It has come every night between 5 and 9pm and stays until 5-8am, loaded or unloaded. Day cab W plate. Every night, week day or weekend no difference. Havenā€™t seen any O plate on it, if itā€™s got one itā€™s not visible.

Parks on double yellows each night, but traffic wardens are an extinct species here :laughing: :laughing:

Itā€™s a W plate with no other markings visible.Occasionally carries stillages, or sheeted, or nothingā€¦

Hmm.

smeserver:
For the last 3 weeks Iā€™ve had a white flatbed parked outside the flats here. It has come every night between 5 and 9pm and stays until 5-8am, loaded or unloaded. Day cab W plate. Every night, week day or weekend no difference. Havenā€™t seen any O plate on it, if itā€™s got one itā€™s not visible.

Parks on double yellows each night, but traffic wardens are an extinct species here :laughing: :laughing:

Itā€™s a W plate with no other markings visible.Occasionally carries stillages, or sheeted, or nothingā€¦

Hmm.

Well if itā€™s not doing you any harm then whatā€™s the problem :question:

Cheers.

My last job meant delivering to sites in residential areas. Quite often I would need to tip first thing in the morning so my boss would insist I parked outside overnight. More often than not the place would be on a busy main road, where parking would cause an obstruction. So I would refuse and park in a layby as close to the tip as possible.

Once, however I arrived at a park in Nottingham after they had locked their gates for the night (wanted to get in to the car park to sit there til the greenhouses opened in the morning to deliver). So I parked in a quiet side street over the road cos the park was on a dark road, on a bend with double yellas.

Went round the corner, got a chinese and a couple of tinnies and was sitting in the cab, cutains closed watching telly and eating my grub when I get a knock on the door. It was a local giving it ā€œYou canā€™t park here this is a residential areaā€¦ā€ Gave me a right ear bashing.

I swallowed the urge to shout back and clobber him one, thought of how us drivers need to earn some respect and apologised, explained it was a one off, I was tipping over the road at 7am and had simply got there too late to get in the car park. After much apologies he seemed quite happy that he had made his point and sauntered off grumbling to himself.

Needless to say he got the number off the back of the trailer, and moaned to the gaffer in the morning who sent him a load of freebie plants. :unamused:

Never parked in a built up area again after that.

Can you legally park a goods vehicle overnight in a residential area?
I ask this question as there is a 7.5 ton lorry wich is owned by a local bottled water distributor, parked overnight in my street on my estate.

Froggy read the post!

Froggy,read the posting I don`t say anything is wright or wrong just posed the question,ps how can any truck 200+miles away from home park at it,s op,s center?,wheelnut

Reported in this months T&D is the results of a survey by a property website, www.assertahome.com. Having an HGV parked next to your house can knock around 16% off its value. Given that the average property price in the UK is Ā£150,000 that could equal Ā£24,000. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Having a neighbour who owns a caravan or camper van knocks around 12% off the value and if white van man lives next door that means 11% off.

Good news if your neighbour owns a flash sports car though because that can add 12% because the area appears to be more affluent. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

If anyone sees any houses for sale with a truck parked close by, let me know. Iā€™m gonna go buy it, using the parked truck (iā€™ll view on a sunday morning!!!) as a bargaining tool. :wink:
Then Iā€™m gonna go hire me a flash sports car, (Merc SLK?) go see the truck driver & offer to allow him full use of the car providing he doesnā€™t park the truck at home whilst my house is on the market. MIght even get a car for the neighbour aswell.
At the average house price mentioned above, thats a value increase of Ā£42,000 :smiley: :slight_smile: :laughing:

Iā€™m gonna go hire me a flash sports car, (Merc SLK?) go see the truck driver & offer to allow him full use of the car providing he doesnā€™t park the truck at home whilst my house is on the market. MIght even get a car for the neighbour aswell.
At the average house price mentioned above, thats a value increase of Ā£42,000

I like your style, :bulb: ever thought of becoming an estate agent. :question:

I think you could be onto something Jonathan. Now Iā€™m happy to park my unit wherever you need it parked and as my son works for a car dealership we could borrow a flash sports car for a few days as well. Iā€™ll split the profit with you, you get the bigger share of course as it was your idea. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: