Overnight parking, cooking, etc etc

Sort of a breakout of the “company paying parking” thread really…

Quite a few people either don’t get their parking paid, or prefer not to use MSA’s/truckstops…

So how do they do it?

How do you find/select an alternative ■■■■■■■■■■■■…how do you get hot food (specially interested in any recommendations for in cab cooking equipment)…how do you cope with the lack of sanitation?

Is it vastly different in Europe? Are the MSA’s in Europe better?

My company pay all parking, although I would rather pull out my own toenails than park in a rat infested ■■■■ stinking over priced, breeding ground of ignorant stinking chavs who cant get a job any where else, oh did i mention they were far too noisy…
I would rather park in a nice quiet lay by, cook my own food bought from M&S, or on a nice quiet industrial est…
I do use MSA, s during the daytime for a shower and buy food from M&S…
But very very rarely park overnight in them.

i just get to where i’m tipping or loading, then park there for the night.

Buy food at weekend well as much as I can to travel take some home made that I have done over weekend or have some tins well quite a few just in case sometimes have to buy bread buns as they are easier than bread

Carry pasta & rice the packets as they are simple & easy

Carry own water sometimes have to fill the bottle up carry own tea coffee ( dont take sugar or milk so that is easy for me )

In cab cooking easy really buy a decent single burner stove with the gas canister ( or you could do what some of them have a 2 burner with grill & a bottle of gas ) cooking utensils I have a trainger but some decent pans a kettle

A bottle with a wide neck ie 5 litre bottle of water that is empty or a fab cond bottle

All you need to do is think a little & prepare

As for finding where to park i just try and remember ind estates i tip at if i think it will be suitable for staying at in the future, also have a truck atlas type affair that tells me where ind estates are so will then look on google maps to see if there suitable, sometimes will ask people if i can take at their yard if ive just tipped there or collecting from them next day, or just come off motorways on to duals and can normally find a layby and if im really, really ■■■■■■ i’ll pay out of my own pocket to stay at msa’s but thats rare.

Cooking side of things i have a single burner, but have just bought a double just need to get a bottle for it now, have a fridge freezer so buy all my food on a sunday for the week, normally have steak, burgers + chips, pasta, beans on toost etc.

Will get a shower during the day, carry loads of water with me so can always brush my teeth and have a wash etc.

The whole sleeping in a layby isnt this awful thing that some people make it out to be, i dont get weekended but have a few times spent 20hrs or so parked up in them and its fine. I read in that other thread that some drivers have turned down jobs because firms wont pay parking and well thats up to them but do find it abit odd… Personally i’d say its because their scared and to be fair i was abit at first too but you get use to it and in the end you wont even bat an eye lid.

I park where ever I’m tipping or loading but if I’m on the road and know i will be out of hours then i will plan ahead.
I will make sure I have a hot meal early evening or in the middle of the day, go for a ■■■, have a shower etc then crack on and park up somewhere. I have a microwave and fridge freezer etc so I’ve always got food.

It can be quite fun looking for a place to park, I like to be completely on my own and in a quiet place and a few weeks ago even ventured into Sherwood Forest and parked up for the night with the foxes howling and owls cooing!! Truck stops are ok but I only park in them when I’m loaded with what I think is worth stealing or a load that can physically be stolen by hand or if I’ve got a lot of diesel left, otherwise it’s a nice dark corner somewhere, normally in a business park or industrial estate in a town I’m passing by.

DonutUK:

MSAs in Germany and France are still free parking and the food is generally better, but otherwise the same things apply. They are more expensive to eat in, they stink of ■■■■ etc etc etc.
Truckstops in those same two countries are generally MUCH better, although there are a few exceptions which are only as bad as a good UK truckstop…
In France, parking is usually free and the food, although basic is good. It is usually waitress service and costs around €16 for a 3 course meal including a half bottle of wine plus cheese and coffee.
In Germany most truckstops have taken to charging for parking BUT they also give you a voucher to the same value (or slightly less) which is deducted from the price of your meal. Again this will be around €16 for a large portion of food with a large beer. You can spend more than that, or less, but that will get you a pork steak with jager sauce, fried potatoes and a mixed salad for example. Pork is the main meat eaten in Germany.
You’ll pay about €2 for a shower. This will be spotlessly clean and the cleaner will be waiting for you to exit so they can clean up after you. They expect to get a tip for this, around 50c usually. Cleaners are normally contracted in on a very small retainer, they make their money up on tips and so do there best to provide you with spotless facilities.
Switzerland is very similar to Germany, but more expensive :open_mouth:

I have only done France, Germany and Switzerland for the last 8 years, so I can’t say what things are like in the rest of Europe. Things have changed a lot in that time.

I much prefer to find somewhere nice and quiet and out of the way , i find i sleep better and i dont do M.S.A’s they do my nut in .

I never had a problem nor have i ever had fuel stolen … You watch now it’ll all go :unamused:

Usually park near where tipping or loading, the jobs are regular (ish) so don’t have to struggle to find anywhere and we start and finish very early so always space, quite often park unit only as well. The boss will pay for parking but I’m sure would not be happy if somebody paid every night.
For showers, I use them in the night when we are working and never have to queue for one, also know where the best ones are in each direction we go.
Food, I’ve got a single ring burner that sits on a camping gaz 907, gas kettle, 24v kettle, 24v coolbox and 24v oven. I’ve got a bit lazy cooking wise though and tend to eat a lot of cereals, pies and sandwiches so my new years resolution is to get back into it. The wife has been freezing me portions from when she cooks at home for her and the kids as well.

Deepinvet:
My company pay all parking, although I would rather pull out my own toenails than park in a rat infested ■■■■ stinking over priced, breeding ground of ignorant stinking chavs who cant get a job any where else, oh did i mention they were far too noisy…
I would rather park in a nice quiet lay by, cook my own food bought from M&S, or on a nice quiet industrial est…
I do use MSA, s during the daytime for a shower and buy food from M&S…
But very very rarely park overnight in them.

Seconded. I don’t think I’ve ever parked up in an English MSA although I have in Europe on times.

I parked up at Kinross and Queensferry occasionally as Scots MSAs never used to charge for overnight parking. However I noticed that Happenden was charging these days when I stopped there for a shower the week before Xmas. Is that the case at the others now too?

Simon:

DonutUK:

MSAs in Germany and France are still free parking and the food is generally better, but otherwise the same things apply. They are more expensive to eat in, they stink of ■■■■ etc etc etc.
Truckstops in those same two countries are generally MUCH better, although there are a few exceptions which are only as bad as a good UK truckstop…
In France, parking is usually free and the food, although basic is good. It is usually waitress service and costs around €16 for a 3 course meal including a half bottle of wine plus cheese and coffee.
In Germany most truckstops have taken to charging for parking BUT they also give you a voucher to the same value (or slightly less) which is deducted from the price of your meal. Again this will be around €16 for a large portion of food with a large beer. You can spend more than that, or less, but that will get you a pork steak with jager sauce, fried potatoes and a mixed salad for example. Pork is the main meat eaten in Germany.
You’ll pay about €2 for a shower. This will be spotlessly clean and the cleaner will be waiting for you to exit so they can clean up after you. They expect to get a tip for this, around 50c usually. Cleaners are normally contracted in on a very small retainer, they make their money up on tips and so do there best to provide you with spotless facilities.
Switzerland is very similar to Germany, but more expensive :open_mouth:

I have only done France, Germany and Switzerland for the last 8 years, so I can’t say what things are like in the rest of Europe. Things have changed a lot in that time.

Most of the Relais Routiers I stop at in France have free parking, the exception being Barbizieux at weekends. Prices for a 3 or 4 course dinner including wine are around 12.50 to 13.50 if you have the entrecote. In Spain pretty much everywhere is free to park with a three course dinner including wine from bettween 9.50 and 12.50 euros.

Park at farms. The farmer will offer you a meal in the evening, his daughter will come knocking in the night, and his wife will make you a coffe in the morning. I like loading grain.

I night out once a week in Wales, I just park up in the town car park, use a pub for grub and my mates a locksmith so use a disabled toilet key (there cleaner and a few are heated)!