Overnight LGV parking ideas

Why not use park and ride for truck parking at night?
There is acres of space that is not used overnight.
Why not use airport car parks and make space for trucks.
Race course venues.Once again space that is dormant apart from car boot sales and race days.
Large transport firms could allocate space.
Large Rdc’s the same.
What are the positive and negative aspects of the above.?
Then there docks and ports with acres of space that is void of any activity.
Old buildings that could be turned in to cafes.Or build new cafes.
Will it work or fail ?

Fail. Drivers will ■■■■, ■■■■ and litter everywhere and it will be the end of that!

xfmatt:
Fail. Drivers will [zb], ■■■■ and litter everywhere and it will be the end of that!

Agreed! you have only got too look at any layby at the side of a major road to see why truckers are treated as third class citizens!

B…

What xfmatt said.

Hold on , the idea is a good one the fact that drivers abuse parking areas is another thing entirely but in theory why not use these places productively when there not being used ?

bjd:
Hold on , the idea is a good one the fact that drivers abuse parking areas is another thing entirely but in theory why not use these places productively when there not being used ?

Because,

xfmatt:
Drivers will [zb], ■■■■ and litter everywhere and it will be the end of that!

Saaamon:

bjd:

Because,

xfmatt:
Drivers will [zb], ■■■■ and litter everywhere and it will be the end of that!

+1
shame as its a great idea, but the minority would ruin it, and get the rest of us a bad name.

There are lots of Second World War ex Raf/Usaf air bases that could be used for parking.
Marshalls transport is based on an old airfield near Pershore.
Sywell aerodrome,the Lancaster bomber HQ,loads of room there.
Filton near Bristol.

I agree toby but as many have posted already a small number of drivers let the rest down by acting in an uncivilized way thus the idea is doomed.This is why its a better job all round driving in the eu.
regards dave.

1. Drivers are their own worst enemy.
  2. All of the places mentioned are at best private
  3. Cost
    There is not a shortage of parking places, just a shortage of safe parking places with facilities, but as we all know, even places with facilities, open 24 hrs, drivers will still leave their rubbish and toilet mess, and theres still a lot of them who wont pay.
    I think a good idea is to make every haulier pay for good parking facilities, ban all overnight parking in laybys etc,etc, after allocating parking areas to be built with high tax relief/help to potential operators, build individual parking spots with walls on either side, or maybe trees, to give a degree of privacy, and toilet facilities for each one, a deposit will be sufficient to stop vandalism, and returned after an inspection, especially the toilet facilities where some driver cannot find the pan, or even see the seat, and think its their god given right to mess it up for others.
    Oh there i go again…dreaming…

truckyboy:
build individual parking spots with walls on either side, or maybe trees

I doubt walls would last long judging by the reversing/parking skills of many

I agree with many of these comments especially drivers being our own worst enemy’s. That said, how many times have you pulled up in a layby and seen bins overflowing because they haven’t been emptied. With bags of rubbish ■■■■■■■ and left next to the bins is further evidence that drivers are bagging their rubbish responsibly but are having nowhere to leave it. Just a thought.

Good point on tidy drivers that use bins.
I was in Strensham and there was litter and food all over the tarmac and not in the bins.
I picked it up and put in the bin.
Went in the building to use the loo.
When coming out,the litter was all over the tarmac again.
Muttering under my breath "No wonder we have a bad name "
It was Seagulls and Black Birds taking it out of the bins.

I always think the large open space to the left of the M1 northbound near Meadowhall would make a good truck stop
until Christmas when it is needed for coaches

NEC Birmingham.Acres of unused space when no events are on.

toby1234abc:
NEC Birmingham.Acres of unused space when no events are on.

its hard enough for us to get in when we are doing something there. they can be a funny lot.

toby1234abc:
It was Seagulls and Black Birds taking it out of the bins.

I was sitting at Corby Services a couple of weeks ago and watched fascinated as two crows virtually emptied a litter bin. They were rewarded with a large KFC bag which they took apartto get at the contents. Not only litterbugs, but cannibals too!

Born Idle:
but cannibals too!

You believe that KFC is chicken■■? :open_mouth:

xfmatt:
Fail. Drivers will [zb], ■■■■ and litter everywhere and it will be the end of that!

It’s the minority, most truck drivers are gentlemen.

I know I’m a bit soft but you see litter in pristine truck stops or part time truck stops & you just think what a bunch of ■■■■■■ let’s litter & get trucks banned from another great parking area.

Makes me despair, I pick it up & bin it as well Tobes if it’s a stop I don’t want to get blocked from.

SHYTOT:
I always think the large open space to the left of the M1 northbound near Meadowhall would make a good truck stop
until Christmas when it is needed for coaches

+1

HUGE area wasted there!