Overnight Advice!

Woohoo

Got my first Class 2 Drive Next week, Glasgow to Cardiff, Any advice on where to stop to rest overnight? as I’m clueless on these matters.

Where abouts in Cardiff mate? You’ll be not far off your limit by the time you get down there.

that answer will depend what time you are starting, the company policy on overnight parking and probably several other things :wink:

dukeofdirt:
Where abouts in Cardiff mate? You’ll be not far off your limit by the time you get down there.

Not sure yet m8, find out when i pick up the Truck.

Denis F:
that answer will depend what time you are starting, the company policy on overnight parking and probably several other things :wink:

Starting at 8 in the morning,from what I’m led to believe it will be a case of just getting there, and loading up the next day, after a night in the cab :slight_smile:, then to head back up the road, think they reckon 2 nights in cab to get to cardiff and back.

Something else I’m not to sure about is wages, are you only entitled to your daily rate* 8 hours plus a overnight cab rate, or do you get more hours as your away from home?

NoobieTrucker:
Something else I’m not to sure about is wages, are you only entitled to your daily rate* 8 hours plus a overnight cab rate, or do you get more hours as your away from home?

Generally they will only pay you an hourly rate for duty time. So when you finish for the night you go on tacho break and don’t get hourly rate. They will often have a flat rate for the entire night out. It is also non taxable.

NoobieTrucker:

You normally get your normal rate plus overtime, if it kicks in, for the hours you work and then a night out allowance to cover personal expenses such as meals and a shower

dar1976:

NoobieTrucker:

Generally they will only pay you an hourly rate for duty time. So when you finish for the night you go on tacho break and don’t get hourly rate. They will often have a flat rate for the entire night out. It is also non taxable.

Thx :smiley:

dar1976:
They will often have a flat rate for the entire night out. It is also non taxable.

Depends how much it is and whether you have a sleeper cab or not. Non sleeper you can get 100% and sleeper cab 75% of the national agreed rate without paying tax.

Coffeeholic:

dar1976:
They will often have a flat rate for the entire night out. It is also non taxable.

Depends how much it is and whether you have a sleeper cab or not. Non sleeper you can get 100% and sleeper cab 75% of the national agreed rate without paying tax.

Got told £24 for the night :unamused:

NoobieTrucker:
Got told £24 for the night :unamused:

i think its a sleeper cab, and is it advisable to take a sleeping bag? I’m not kidding when i say i am a noob

Quilt is more comfortable than a sleeping bag IMO. Just remember, it’s December and you’ll be in a metal box - therefore more than a bit nippy. Even in sunny Cardiff :slight_smile:

The Sarge:
Quilt is more comfortable than a sleeping bag IMO. Just remember, it’s December and you’ll be in a metal box - therefore more than a bit nippy. Even in sunny Cardiff :slight_smile:

So would i be better parking up before cardiff for a kip or waiting to get there, any ideas?

Depends how your hours work out and what the delivery / collection schedule is

dar1976:

leave at 8 and not picking up till next day, then once picked up heading back up road !!

NoobieTrucker:

dar1976:

leave at 8 and not picking up till next day, then once picked up heading back up road !!

am m8

Can’t really help you with parking (I’m from Cardiff so never parked there) I know that some of the steel boys park on the road outside the steel works, and there’s a pub across the road that does meals (think it’s a Harvester) - but you need to watch out for prostitutes knocking your cab door :wink:

The Sarge:
Can’t really help you with parking (I’m from Cardiff so never parked there) I know that some of the steel boys park on Seawalls Road, and there’s a pub across the road that does meals (think it’s a Harvester) - but you need to watch out for prostitutes knocking your cab door :wink:

Thx m8, oh btw are they nice looking :wink: lol

Sorry, not Seawalls Road - | meant East Moors Road off Ocean Way bing.com/maps/?FORM=MMREDR#J … A3NDQwMTg1

And as for the hookers - I wouldn’t touch them with Carryfasts…