Overnight advice , what do I need?

as the subject lines says, Am now employed by JO transport in little lever, class 2, general haulage and pallet stuff, its nationwide and some overnights wil likely be required. this is brilliant, its pretty much everything i could have asked for, however
I’ve never done overnights before and I’ve been warned that it can be short notice so they expect you to have your gear with you at all times, so what do i need in my bag, obv mapbooks, phone charger/adaptor/prat nav, couple of underwear/ssocks, extra pair pants and a few tshirts are sorted, also threw in a small travel towel and i’ll be grabbing the sleeping bag on sunday, plus normal small toilet bag (shaver, hair stuff, some wipes for hands etc). anything else you think ive missed guys?

Hi mate,

Congratulations on landing yourself a full time job that your happy with mate! :smiley:

For you actuall work:

A torch
Pen Knife
Some basic tools( i do full time day work and keep a bag of small tools in my side box) Flat+phillips scew driver,side cutters, pliers, zip ties, mini hammer,mini crow bar and some ajustable spanners.
Spare work gloves and a pair of water proof gloves.
Water proof jacket and trousers

For you and your cab:

Most important…A GAS STOVE (Definatly usefull and handy for a brew or hot soup etc on cold days! im on day work and have one in my cab)
Tea bags etc.
Toilet roll
bin bags or general carrier bags for rubbish etc
Cutlerty
reading material ( if you like to read)
EAR PLUGS (i imagine you’ll kick yourself on a night out if you have to park next to a fridge lorry)
Laptop if you have one
hat and gloves
general food and water to store in cab.
a small telephone book to keep in cab, incase you loose your phone with numbers in it.
Window cleaner and some cloth.

Hope this is of some help and best of luck mate.
Ben

bigfoot:
Hi mate,

Congratulations on landing yourself a full time job that your happy with mate! :smiley:

For you actuall work:

A torch
Pen Knife
Some basic tools( i do full time day work and keep a bag of small tools in my side box) Flat+phillips scew driver,side cutters, pliers, zip ties, mini hammer,mini crow bar and some ajustable spanners.
Spare work gloves and a pair of water proof gloves.
Water proof jacket and trousers

For you and your cab:

Most important…A GAS STOVE (Definatly usefull and handy for a brew or hot soup etc on cold days! im on day work and have one in my cab)
Tea bags etc.
Toilet roll
bin bags or general carrier bags for rubbish etc
Cutlerty
reading material ( if you like to read)
EAR PLUGS (i imagine you’ll kick yourself on a night out if you have to park next to a fridge lorry)
Laptop if you have one
hat and gloves
general food and water to store in cab.
a small telephone book to keep in cab, incase you loose your phone with numbers in it.
Window cleaner and some cloth.

Hope this is of some help and best of luck mate.Ben

work gloves check, same with high vis and waterproof coat, ive got a nice multitool that sits in the bag along with a maglite. so, bags, toilet roll, gas stove will ahve to wait until i actually get paid :slight_smile: unlikely to be overnighting in the first week but i’d prefer to be prepared, worth taking teabags and some of those ilttle milk carton things anyway? obviousoly ive got the travel mub :slight_smile:, and i’ll grab a couple of pairs of the plastic cutlery stuff to sling in the bottom.
Thanks mate

congrats on the job, if you hear of any other class 2 work going there give me a shout mate, only over in Johnson Fold :slight_smile:

Nice advice there thats for sure :slight_smile:

In case anything has been missed off, try this list:- viewtopic.php?f=10&t=37297

Roll of gaffa tape, never leave home without it :wink: :laughing: , all the best with your new job, sounds good :smiley: :smiley:

If you buy a little gas stove make sure you get one with plenty of va-va-voom! You don’t want to be spending too much time waiting for a cup of water to boil if you’re having a quick break.

It depends what job your on mate!! best thing todo is have a chat with drivers in the company coz if they’ve been doing the job for years they’ll keep you in the straight and narrow… personal kit is what you prefer, and if you’ve got a permanent motor or if your changing every day??
you’ll get into a routine with your kit so you’ll know what you need and helps to know where everything is in the cab.put it in the same place if poss mate then you’ll always know how to get your hand on it…One Tip: Always have screenwash in a spray bottle and toilet paper and keep your windows/mirrors clean and turn off your radio when manovering and open your window in the dark,your ectra senses will kick in…trust me…

Spare digi card.

First and foremost, you need a cab tilt bar. Volvo ones are the best.

It will get you out of (and indeed into if used incorrectly) more trouble than any multi-tool. Find a good one and you’ll soon develop a relationship with it, don’t lose it. Occasionally you might even use it to tilt a cab!

For everything else, it’s much more fun finding out as you go along! :laughing:

EDIT: Make sure you steal it, preferably from a workshop, they steal only the good ones from lorries.

Actually, that’s the first rule of being a driver, if it looks handy - steal it. Your need is always greater than whichever firm you nick something from (I mean things like ratchet straps etc) when you need one in the middle of the night in the driving snow and they’re cosy in bed, so don’t feel guilty. Ever.