Overloading

Had a bit of fun yesterday (Friday) morning. Got to the yard to be informed that I was already loaded, which roused my suspicions somewhat, as its not unusual to endure a two hour wait. Pulled the curtains to be greeted by 10 pallets of concrete blocks and 8 large barrels of engineering oil, plus a few bits and bobs. Card in, walk round etc. then to the other side of the yard to fuel up. She was clearly not happy - very sluggish with rather bulging sidewalls and sitting very low on the mudguards with the flaps practically sweeping the floor. Put a defect note into the workshop and eventually got 20psi put in each of the fronts. Still not happy, went into the office and got a stuffed shirt to come and see for themselves. He studied the forkies load sheet and said "well youre not overweight", and clearly wanted me to shrug and accept his judgement/ruling. I once again said that in my opinion there was an issue, so he reluctantly agreed for me to go to a nearby weighbridge for a conclusive result. Turns out (26 tonner with tag) I had 9.8t on the 8t steered axle and was 27.4t overall. End result, 4 pallets off and a re-shuffle. Good to go. He did make a lame comment that I should have said something before I strapped up, to which I replied "maybe, but this went through the planners and warehouse without anyone else picking it up, so i could not unreasonably apportion blame to the "vastly experienced" supervisors further up the chain who, quite frankly, [zb] up. A good learning day, as ive never had this situation before. Learned that you gotta watch em, and not listen to any of em if your own gut instincts tell you otherwise. :unamused:

And the fact its your licence…did they even tell you the weight of the load so you could do the sums first… Something I learnt may years ago… trust no ■■■■■■… if in doubt don’t take it out…or get it checked

Cant get done by VOSA or at the weight bridge…

im always suspicious when I get a call to say "its loaded ready for you " or even worse " its loaded ready to go at (early hours ) " why is darkness my friend ■■. I make a point of going into the yard to get the tank filled, just to have a look . had more than one "disagreement " in the past but he still tries it on . as has been said its my licence not his and he would hang you out to dry to save his own skin or should that be his wallet.

pretty stupid if your boss tells you its ok to go he gets done you get done and he could lose his operators licence so pretty stupid overall ps whats{zb]mean

samsgrandad:
pretty stupid if your boss tells you its ok to go he gets done you get done and he could lose his operators licence so pretty stupid overall ps whats{zb]mean

Thing with this is proof he would never admit anything so all blame on the driver as he’s the one caught.

samsgrandad:

effed up…screwed up…or similar! :slight_smile:

Fair play drive. 10 points for you.

Well forkies are generally muppets who can’t tell a heavy pallet from a light one.

Their ■■■■ poor loading did make it way too far over on the steer but it does highlight how heavy trucks are a lot harder to overload than a lot of drivers seem to think.

The all up weight had only just actually strayed into fixed penalty territory as there is a 5% allowance. Unless it’s ridiculous I would always take anything if I knew I could tip without passing a weighbridge.

A truck, of that gross weight, won’t suddenly become a death trap with a few extra tonnes on. If you had a spare 1.5 ton pallet and the choice of an already fully loaded 26 tonner or and empty Transit van. The Transit van would be the legal choice but the lorry would actually be the safer one.

Which Transits are you driving? The short, lonely ones? :laughing:

hero

Normal ones. Brake test them at full GVW and they seem to be ten, or more percent less efficient, than an 18t rigid. With the load evenly spread the back axle is usually on the bump stops too.

Probably alright for plumbers, and those looking to borrow diesel, but not much cop for shifting goods around.

That’s where the old chinese sixes came in handy. Doe’s anyone use them now ?

Good on ya ■■■■■■■.

mb14:
hero

Awww, shucks… Thanks dude :unamused:

That should more correctly read - hero, with a clean licence and full wallet.

Own Account Driver:
A truck, of that gross weight, won’t suddenly become a death trap with a few extra tonnes on. If you had a spare 1.5 ton pallet and the choice of an already fully loaded 26 tonner or and empty Transit van. The Transit van would be the legal choice but the lorry would actually be the safer one.

Granted but the bottom line is the heavier they are, the harder they are to drive.