Overlength Loads

If I load a two 50 foot crane sections onto a 45 foot flatbed trailer, what are the legal requirements?

Marker boards presumably, but how many? One or two? Do they need to be illuminated?

Any advice on overlength movements appreciated.

Harry, you need an end marker board for projections over 2m up to 3.05m (about 10ft I think). If you went over 3.05m you would need an end marker, a side marker, an attendant, and to inform the police.

Sounds to me like you will just need the end marker.

So if it is five feet longer than the trailer I don’t need anything at all?

An overhang between between 1 and 2 metres must be “clearly visible”. So that would mean putting something on the end anyway, so you may as well stick a marker board on if you have one. If not, looks like someone will be losing their hi-vis! :smiley:

Anything over 1metre needs a marker board. Maximum overhang on a 45’ trailer is 5’ . Max on a 40’ is 10’ with side markers and rear marker/s and beacon. If it’s poor daytime visibility or nighttime then lights are required. If its over 18.65 m you need a second man
Anything over 305mm over the side needs a board on front and back of the side projection. If its over 3.5m wide you need a second man and a beacon/s. Again if it’s poor daytime visibility or nighttime then lights are required.

In some areas the local police require two beacons on the rear and beacon/s on the cab. (Teesside for one does.) Read the movement order if you get one.

I used to stick a becon on anyway just to annoy the driver behind… :wink:

grumpybum:
An overhang between between 1 and 2 metres must be “clearly visible”. So that would mean putting something on the end anyway, so you may as well stick a marker board on if you have one. If not, looks like someone will be losing their hi-vis! :smiley:

no wonder some drivers wear a hi-vis in the cab,
judging by the overhang on the bellies of some guys behind the wheel being excessive :wink: :open_mouth:

Just tie a Hi Vis on the end it’ll be all right man.