Overland Trucking

I have been watching some old videos on youtube. One that caught my interest was about a group of young people that went overland to Nepal in a converted (army style) Bedford truck.
The video/film was made in 1975 so poor quality. It got me thinking, what’s the farthest point overland anyone has taken a load in a UK based truck. I guess we are looking at Astran or similar. Anyone Know ?

I went in a converted truck/bus overland from South Africa to Harare. The journey took five weeks visiting Lesoto, Mozambique and Swaziland.
The firm was called Dragoman.The fleet used was Mercedes.
They also take passengers from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego.
Circiuts of South America and Africa.
UK to the Far East.
The onboard drinking water tank had grit and stones in it as river water is used then sterilised with chemicals.
The group came from all walks of life.
We were given daily chores from collecting fire wood,going to markets to buy fresh food,cooking,cleaning,hauling ruck sacks from the truck roof.
Managing finances to pay for fees to visit tourist attractions.

Hi Toby I have heard of Dragoman (just done a quick search-they are still going). I guess it was a great experience. The trip on youtube lasted 3 Months.
Which brings me back to my original question. Come on you guys someone must have an idea.

To answer your question ,the longest truck nourney with a load would be Ralph Davies and Peter Gilder.
Their drivers went to Kasakhstan and even furtherEast towards the Chinese border.
Plenty of photos on the Old timers forum under the Kasakhstan thread.
No roads over there.Driving over dirt tracks.No tyre fitter or garage to call out for breakdowns.
The trucks got a good battering.Not designed for off roading.
Gilder was trading as Russanglia ltd.
There was a story in the papers about a coach driving from London to Sydney.
Did they make it ?

Hi! There is a couple of guys on here who done Kazakstan and chines border in late 90is,So thouse guys maby. Try the oldtime forum there is a threde about it agood 12-14 page.

Reg Danne

Some time in the 1970s a group of UK trucks drove overland to either Kenya or Zambia (can’t remember which). By the time they got there their loads had been destroyed by poor road surfaces and the trucks and trailers were worn out.

In more recent times, Ralph Davies International used to run regularly to the border between the former Soviet Union and the Peoples Republic of China.

A mate of mine used to drive for Encounter Overland…backpackers to Capetown in old Bedford army trucks.

amazon.co.uk/Travellers-Want … B00MSP3NG8

You need to read this, this bus did about 16 trips, you might find it on the web because it was bought back and restored a few years ago.