overhang

now i will probably get shot down for saying this but i can live with that, today i was on the m1 and ended up behind a flatbed artic which was carrying a section of a tower crane, it was overhanging the rear of the trailer by maybe 2ft, straight away i thought that if we all had to slam our brakes on, the 4 legs of the crane section would be coming straight in the cab and probably straight through me. yeah i know what your going to think, stay well back and there isnt a problem, which i agree with.

i dont know why this made me feel uncomfortable today as i have seen it loads of times but i think things that are going to over hang a 40ft trailer should be carried on an extendable trailer so there is no need for overhang.

is there any particular reason why things are allowed to overhang trailers■■?

i know things can only overhang by a certain amount, but i just think it would be safer done on extendable trailers

www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicl … gloads.pdf

I hope thats the right document, I havent read it right through

selby newcomer:
now i will probably get shot down for saying this but i can live with that, today i was on the m1 and ended up behind a flatbed artic which was carrying a section of a tower crane, it was overhanging the rear of the trailer by maybe 2ft, straight away i thought that if we all had to slam our brakes on, the 4 legs of the crane section would be coming straight in the cab and probably straight through me. yeah i know what your going to think, stay well back and there isnt a problem, which i agree with.

i dont know why this made me feel uncomfortable today as i have seen it loads of times but i think things that are going to over hang a 40ft trailer should be carried on an extendable trailer so there is no need for overhang.

i know things can only overhang by a certain amount, but i just think it would be safer done on extendable trailers

BANG…You’re dead :laughing:

I think all trailers should have an overhang, preferably a 4ft spike sticking out of the back, that may stop all the muppets sitting right up the arse of the lorry in front :unamused:

Done it many a time years ago with a rag dangling from the overhang, think you have got to use an old hi-viz vest nowadays :smiley:

newmercman:

selby newcomer:

I think all trailers should have an overhang, preferably a 4ft spike sticking out of the back, that may stop all the muppets sitting right up the arse of the lorry in front :unamused:

^ This. The best ideas are the simple ones!

newmercman:

selby newcomer:

I’ve been saying for years that all vehicles should have a sharpened spike sticking out of the steering wheel pointing at the driver.

you are allowed 9 foot 6 or what ever that is in new money as long as its marked up with warning triangle hi viz flashy beacon thing and 4 foot ish or under does not need have a warning triangle

and the reason that we hav over hangs could be down to few reasons access lack of extenable trailers or said fella was in the right place at the wrong time weight saving some of our jobs are payed per ton ie the more we carry te more kerching and your average trombone is about a 2 tons heavier than a standard 45 footer so if you dnt want to get skewered back off a bit :wink:

We used to carry cant & chassis rails for 13.6metre trailers, they wouldn’t fit inside the trailer as they were too long :stuck_out_tongue:

We do a lot like this, rules are, i think, up to 1m clearly marked, up to 2 m marker board, 3m and above marker board and beacon, we have extendable trls, and we over hang them !, i have to do 20m tank next week, it will have a 5 m overhang, on an extendable low loader… overall length 30m…will have an ■■■■■■ vehicle…

when i did my cpc a flashing beacon was not required on long overhangs,
a triangle and marker light was tho!
have the rules changed or do some drivers switch the noddy light on at every chance “look at me with my big load”

Moose:
have the rules changed or do some drivers switch the noddy light on at every chance “look at me with my big load”

Ooooohhh Matron! :laughing:

newmercman:

selby newcomer:

im now pulling a glass trailer about god knows how much shorter but on the M5 this week southbound i had a car tight into the back of the trailer only visable if i did a trailer swerve and then id only catch his mirrors no doubt trying to save fuel on the drag.

Hiya… in about 1976 the firm i worked for Harrisons stoke got a call have you got 6 lorries
in the east end of london on friday…the reply was i’ll try … go to frog island (off the A13)…
six of us arrived just after dinner…we was faced with 24 logs for simmonswood nr liverpool.
four logs per lorry 20 inches square and 54 foot long(on a 40 ft trailer) no problem… get
loaded chain up and go to sleep(after a few pints) then set of at 6 am saturday… down the
A13 through Bow up to Highbruy corner up holliway road …the archway… north cicular and
M1/M6 to stoke… six of us nose to tail the lorry at the back had a red hankerchif on a log…
we stopped at Tubbys cafe (BP.crick)for a fry up and back to stoke before 12…no lorries run
in the back of each other and no one got killed.I know you can’t do it nowadays but why
get all excited when someone else dose…sorry to you newbies you missed a good time.
John

3300John:
Hiya… in about 1976 the firm i worked for Harrisons stoke got a call have you got 6 lorries
in the east end of london on friday…the reply was i’ll try … go to frog island (off the A13)…
six of us arrived just after dinner…we was faced with 24 logs for simmonswood nr liverpool.
four logs per lorry 20 inches square and 54 foot long(on a 40 ft trailer) no problem… get
loaded chain up and go to sleep(after a few pints) then set of at 6 am saturday… down the
A13 through Bow up to Highbruy corner up holliway road …the archway… north cicular and
M1/M6 to stoke… six of us nose to tail the lorry at the back had a red hankerchif on a log…
we stopped at Tubbys cafe (BP.crick)for a fry up and back to stoke before 12…no lorries run
in the back of each other and no one got killed.I know you can’t do it nowadays but why
get all excited when someone else dose…sorry to you newbies you missed a good time.
John

I was 2 then John :exclamation: :open_mouth: But you lot get all my resect as i wish I was around then and not in this day of H&S rubbish! :smiling_imp:

Talking of things you wouldn’t do now, I took a 32 foot cabin on a 22 foot bodied Bedford six wheeler to Windscale in 1977.
I was in between jobs and doing a few day’s work for its owner.
I looked at it at Hartshead Services, there was more behind the rear axles than there was in front.
On the road to Barrow, there were several undulations, maybe still there?
As I reached the top of each one, the front wheels left the ground…wheelies in a TK Bedford :exclamation:

When I reached the site, I was backed in to position by a banksman and when I had stopped, the metal foot of the cabin had ripped open the boot lid of a parked Granada like an old fashioned tin opener.
I was young then and suggested I should leave my details for its owner.
No, said the banksman, I’ve been telling the prat (the least polite word the autocensor will accept) not to park it there for weeks.That’ll teach him.
Never heard any more about it.

Regards,
Nick

Moose:

Thinking about it, your kind of right, the rules say it must be lit, but we use a beacon cos it covers both angles.

You are concerned about 2ft of overhang
we regularly used to have 20ft :laughing:

yesteryear1.jpg

Was driving a Volvo FL6 a few years ago. Body was 27 ft length, 12 ft of which was overhang. Had to load 1 lump of wood, from Yeovil, to Cannock. When it was loaded, I had 9ft 10 inch overhanging the body,almost 21 ft tailswing on a 4 wheel rigid. Nailed a highvis vest to the back and away I went.

streaky:

3300John:
John

I was 2 then John :exclamation: :open_mouth: But you lot get all my resect as i wish I was around then and not in this day of H&S rubbish! :smiling_imp:

Hiya streaky…you missed out mate i admit the trucks we drove was not as good as todays beasts…
alot of us have lived to tell the tales, we have been wet cold and dirty but we all mucked in together
even if you was unsure about sheeting or chaining something on, just ask… it wasnt very often you struggled to fold your sheets someone passing would stop and give you a quick fold…got a puncher somone would lend you a wheel and tyre…good old days…theres alot to be said about H&S and its not all good
Cheers John