Overdriving.

Drove a Mercedes Benz Actros yesterday. Several times during the day, the Microlise (or whatever it is) announced “Warning, overdriving” and “Overdriving recorded”. What does this mean?

Don’t know about trucks, but racing cars means the drivers is trying to hard and is getting worse lap times, how we’re your lap times? :laughing:

Overdriving on Microlise is when you’ve got your foot to the floorboards. You should only use 95% of available throttle pedal travel

It means…

Your name will also go on ze list!

If you hit resume to accelerate, you don’t get overdriving faults.

yes harry its a load of ■■■■ i agree

It’s telling you that you have done the job too bloody long Harry, you’ve ‘‘Over Driven’’ and it’s time to Jack it all in…‘‘They’’ are watching you. :laughing:

I get it regularly from the microlise when I’m pulling away from a standstill and concentrating on things around me, my workaround is to engage the cruise control as soon as it’s rolling, and let that build up the speed.
I’ve also had a over revving warning crawling up Birdlip hill when I’ve knocked off the CC and it creeps over 1500 revs. Companies like XPO who use the microlise system will score you 4 points for each red over driving recorded, and 7 points for harsh braking. Get 21+ points in a shift and you get to have a chat with the shift manager to explain why you got the points. “Bad Traffic” is the usual reply from most drivers.

My record is 49 points in 1 shift :blush:
These days I average 1-2 harsh brakings a Day

peirre:
I get it regularly from the microlise when I’m pulling away from a standstill and concentrating on things around me, my workaround is to engage the cruise control as soon as it’s rolling, and let that build up the speed.
I’ve also had a over revving warning crawling up Birdlip hill when I’ve knocked off the CC and it creeps over 1500 revs. Companies like XPO who use the microlise system will score you 4 points for each red over driving recorded, and 7 points for harsh braking. Get 21+ points in a shift and you get to have a chat with the shift manager to explain why you got the points. “Bad Traffic” is the usual reply from most drivers.

This is the reason i turned down a job offer last year and went with a small family old school company

Tbh the place I’m at now are a little more relaxed about it and as such I’m unlikely to get banned from site, however another site nearby for the same Company seem to be OTT with their interpretations

Half the time these microlise-wet-dream-fetish-for-frustrated-pointy-shoes systems are bringing up such problems is almost entirely due to the third rate no more use than a chocolate teapot gearboxes fitted.

I have three methods of driving anything (except Volvos which can be left in auto), 1 is to drive it in manual so i’m in control of the engine revs, 2 is to make full use of the retarding systems designed and fitted at great expense and made best use of by manual gear selection instead of just relying on the brakes, 3 if the vehicle displays any of this scoreboard or star rating ■■■■■■■■ on the dash i switch it all off and couldn’t give a tuppeny one what the score or comments are.

There, all issues solved.

peirre:

I work for the aforementioned company and am the only one who regularly scores A for cruise control (I know the cheat on this one) I often score a D on harsh cornering (if it ain’t howling it ain’t turning) I sometimes get marked down for overrevving if I happen to leave it in auto, but not once have I been called to account or had to justify my driving. I think it probably depends on which depot and which underemployed middle manager is trying to justify his/ her job tbh.

The middle managers who scrutinise these things are normally a perfect fit through the debriefing room window, its fun too :stuck_out_tongue:

the maoster:
I work for the aforementioned company and am the only one who regularly scores A for cruise control (I know the cheat on this one).

Do tell us how …

peirre:
Do tell us how …

Set the cruise for the lowest possible speed. In the case of my current MAN that is 15kph, then just drive it on the throttle as normal. Obviously it’ll cancel when braking so once you have finished braking merely press resume. Et voila, perfect A’s :wink:

the maoster:

peirre:
Do tell us how …

Set the cruise for the lowest possible speed. In the case of my current MAN that is 15kph, then just drive it on the throttle as normal. Obviously it’ll cancel when braking so once you have finished braking merely press resume. Et voila, perfect A’s :wink:

cunning or what :sunglasses:

the maoster:

peirre:
Do tell us how …

Our Microlise system then marks you down for ‘acc under cc’, or words to that effect, basically using the throttle when cc is engaged. :imp:

the maoster:

peirre:
Do tell us how …

I did this at Culina and regularly had the highest cc score :wink:

wing-nut:
Overdriving on Microlise is when you’ve got your foot to the floorboards. You should only use 95% of available throttle pedal travel

Thank you. Why would that be a problem though? I would have thought the fuel was metered by the ecu and so it would make no difference to fuel consumption under acceleration wherever the throttle pedal was?

Alternatively, if they only want you to use 95% of the throttle travel, why don’t they just put a 5% spacer under the pedal? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m coming to the conclusion that a fair percentage of the engine management warnings and emission light warnings are down to Not using full throttle or more accurately not making the engine work hard enough. When I get to drive it is usually to take a trailer for Roller Brake Test . It is then at something approaching its taxed gross weight, so it is carrying about 1/2 to 2/3 more than the vehicle normally does, but is still well below the potential maximum. One, or even both of these lights is often on for about 2 miles, until the vehicle has to actually do some work uphill; that then puts the lights out and they stay out for a few days.

wing-nut:

Microlise scores - seem to improve if you don’t flat out @ 53pmh as well btw. I think it is more about speed percentage of max rather than what position the pedal is in, otherwise when on “cruise” - one wouldn’t get any kind of credit…?