Over- Specced (or at least seems that way!)

I have just parked up for a 45 at Tamworth services, and parked next to me is a Volvo FH16 4x2 rigid with 610 power badges in the cab flanks. It doesnt have any drawbar “plumbing” or hitch on it, nor a final chassis cross member, so I guess it is a traditional 4 wheel rigid. Speaking with the driver, he said it is a 610 and the company bought it new, and they dont even run drawbars.

My question to you all is what have you seen out and about that would appear to be seriously over the top for the job!!

Ed

It’s what the boss bought yea it is over powered but what’s the problem

Did over 20 years ago own a 740 Scania 143 amazing what interest you can generate just by fiddling with the badges.

alix776:
It’s what the boss bought yea it is over powered but what’s the problem

Doesnt look to me like the op has a problem, seems like he’s interested in trucks that far exceed the mininum requirements for the intend application.

We run a 420 FH gobstopper 4x2 rigid. Plenty of room for a week away and surprisingly good on fuel with that power to weight ratio. It does a lot of miles every day with ease. :open_mouth:

Swiss used to run around on internal transport (28t gross)with 140 Scania W+D’s-lovely!

used to see a early fm trotter 18 tonner with 310, had a rear chassis cross member, and the airline and electrical fitting but no hitch,
was told the hitch was removed at some point to reduce the tax and the draw bar was only used onec in a blue moon. also was told it’d been tweeked to 400 ish…

I have a Volvo FH GTXL 8x4 with a 540 in it. It’s as good on fuel as my old FM 380 was. Gets up to speed quickly and stays there, no matter what the hill. It has the electrics and air lines ready for a drawbar. Just waiting construction to pick up before I buy a trailer for it.

Saamon, thank you for your support, I am indeed interested in looking at those vehicles that at first may seem to be more than man-enough for the job, but they have been chosen by their operator as what they want. After over 30years working in and around trucks, it still pleases me that operators are resourceful and use vehicles for purposes that perhaps the manufacturers’ marketing teams in their glass palaces would never think of!!

Ed

It’s nice to see a rigid with some decent power for once rather than the normally weezy 230’s 280’s etc.