Over Hours

coffeeholic this is something thats confused me for a while well definetley since passing my test would your enployer be mad with you or look down on you for stopping short and asking for a car to come and pick you up if you’ve been say stuck in traffic or just run out of hours,i’m in the army and we don’t have taco’s

eddiehague.fh.:
coffeeholic this is something thats confused me for a while well definetley since passing my test would your enployer be mad with you or look down on you for stopping short and asking for a car to come and pick you up if you’ve been say stuck in traffic or just run out of hours,i’m in the army and we don’t have taco’s

An employer who runs legal, wishes to continue to do so and understands the regulations should have no problem, I’ve been collected twice since I’ve been working for my current employer and it wasn’t an issue on either occasion. Not all employers are like this so…?

the question is: how bad was the traffic? if you were stopped for any length of time, the tacho will change modes, and you probably will have reclaimed enough time to keep you legal…

EBGBz:
the tacho will change modes

MAT:
On a similar theme, the tachograph wasn’t recording for about the first 45 mins. Probably as a result of me not inserting correctly as when the warning got my attention I fixed it. Presumably I should manually record this period on the reverse

MAT:
Problem is I ran over by 10 mins.

I am wondering IF you HAVE over-run on the driving hours - perhaps a more closer look is required :bulb:

Actually Rog, you have a point. I stopped at South Mimms services earlier in the day for about 15 mins which shows as rest, so on that basis, I haven’t over run.
I am concerned with the tacho operation on this particular vehicle though. It has a draw as opposed to the traditional behind the odomoter unit so changing the mode isn’t obvious.

you need to get it onto a tacho card reader for analogue so the the actual driving hours can be accertained - your TM may have one
Someone we know called Rick may also have one :bulb:

Remember that driving time for the tacho is not the same as legal driving time - if stopped in a queue for a few minutes then that is not tacho driving time but is legal driving time

Why not just read the driving trace on the chart to see if you’ve run over your driving time ?

It will be difficult to get an accurate read without a chart reader but with a little patience you should get a good idea of weather or not you’re likely to have over run your driving time.

If you choose to read the chart yourself you’ll probably find a decent scan that can be enlarged will help, also if you’re not sure how to read it this thread may help.

To be honest you really have very little to worry about as long as you don’t make a habit of contravening the regulations and record the reason for running over the driving time on the back of the chart.

MAT:
I am concerned with the tacho operation on this particular vehicle though. It has a draw as opposed to the traditional behind the odomoter unit so changing the mode isn’t obvious.

If you mean like the one bellow then there really shouldn’t be a problem changing the mode (use button marked “1”) and as already said it will change to “other work” automatically when the vehicle stops moving for more than a couple on minutes, you’ll find that most analogue tachographs are of this type these days :wink:

You don’t need a card reader to work your hours out, unless you want to drive to the absolute maximum or 1 second under it. The chart is divided into 5 minute segments, so, with the activity marks, & the speed trace it is fairly simple to get a close idea.

I think the main problem is that you already drove for 45 minutes with the chart inserted the wrong way or something. But as mentioned what is done is done. You cannot wind the clock back, (figure of speech, not my advice) :wink:

The old hinged analogue tachograph and DIN CD type both need driver input to change the mode, as does the digital unit.

Just be more careful, VOSA are not trying to pick you up for infrequent 1 minute mistakes, but regular infringements and fraudulent use.

Remember, Nick Ross and Jill Dando on crimewatch, Don’t Have Nightmares! :wink:

Wheelnut, Tachograph, Rog and everyone who’s contributed on this thread, thanks guys. I’ve had a good look at my chart and I know I’m ok. At the end of the day I just want to be right so good advice is always welcome.

MAT:
I’ve had a good look at my chart and I know I’m ok.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

WISE OLD MAN SAY DRIVE TOO PLAN PLAN TOO DRIVE . IF you goin intoo london or any city that gets stuffed pull up befor you go in take a 45 then you shoulndt have any probs getting out clean for next 45 . TACHO COURSES are available at your own expense and worth every penny

topmixer11:
TACHO COURSES are available at your own expense and worth every penny

but make sure they are worth 7 hours towards your driver cpc :bulb: