Over height vehicle on the right hand bore at Dartford

Been stuck on the M25 for about 20 mins half hour ago due to an over height vehicle trying to get through the right hand bore of the Dartford tunnel. They shut both right hand tunnels whilst they got the offending vehicle to reverse back and no doubt get a round of ■■■■■ and points/fine off the old bill.
Now what I don’t get and maybe someone on here can help me is when we passed the offending truck it turns out it was a waste recycling truck with a walking floor trailer on, now surely they are the right height to use the right hand bore as that is the highest bore of both tunnels and car transporters use it which must be higher than a walking floor trailer? I stand to be corrected of course.

If it set the warnings off then its too tall.

I thought it was all automatic, if you’re too tall, you’re too tall.

Speaking of which, has anybody on here tried to take a 15 foot 9 trailer through the small tunnel?

The only thing I can think of, assuming the trailer did come in under the height restriction, is that his load was a bit higher than his trailer.

I was a passenger and we took a walking floor through the right hand tunnel yesterday and didn’t get stopped, it was 15.9

Ever more reasons for the UK govt to ban anything over 4m from their roads,these ridiculously tall trailers are just not needed…

Totally agree AndrewG, there is know need for these ridiculously high trailers, were not allowed to run more than 4m in mainland Europe so why here.

The driver has no benefit with these overheight trailers,just making life more hazardous.Transport operators or users get to put 2 trailer loads on one.It’s bad enough if the upper deck has lighter products,but sometimes both decks carry similar weights which helps the centre of gravity no end and much rock and roll even on a wind free day.Then you see a low bridge sign.

If UK operators really do find the need for double deckers, theres low ride height trucks in europe which do the job just fine. Coupled with low ride suspension and low profile tyres along with smaller wheels these bring heights right down. Personally i find it incredible these 5m+ trailers are given free reign on UK roads. AS well as bridge strikes being virtually wiped out theres also big fuel savings to be had not towing a big sail around…

Like Emons group out of Holland, Andrew

Anybody remember the tale posted on here a few years ago of the guy whose waste ejector trailer was over height at Dartford, after he picked up a dead horse as a cash job for some of our traveling friends. :laughing:

How did he manage to get passed the barriers .I thought they were there to stop you getting in
to the tunnel if your over height or add ADR on

Perhaps he was carrying something prohibited regarding the ADR tunnel code and got spotted by those wombles on the double decker bus.

muckles:
Anybody remember the tale posted on here a few years ago of the guy whose waste ejector trailer was over height at Dartford, after he picked up a dead horse as a cash job for some of our traveling friends. :laughing:

That was kr79. I’ve been waiting for him to tell us again. A very funny story :laughing:

OVLOV JAY:

muckles:

That was kr79. I’ve been waiting for him to tell us again. A very funny story :laughing:

Cheers, couldn’t remember who wrote it, but it was bloody hilarious and well written, got to be worth a re-telling. :laughing:

Excuse me if i am wrong…but a driver was complaining a while back that if you come on to the tunnel approach from the dartford slip ( sainsburys for eg ) he couldnt get to the right hand lane, which is for overheight vehicles, and did have to go to the next slip to turn and approach it from further back ( hope your following this at the back ) so my point is, i thought the RH bore was indeed for overheights and in this instance i dont understand why, this tipper was deemed overheight?? someone put me out of my misery please. :unamused:

Part of load must have been sticking up to set off alarms. I can’t remember who’s story it was but I feel the story involving a donkey corpse and the Blackwall Tunnel needs retelling

muckles:

OVLOV JAY:

muckles:

Cheers, couldn’t remember who wrote it, but it was bloody hilarious and well written, got to be worth a re-telling. :laughing:

I should have read the whole post before replying! That story is one of the all time Trucknet greats

Donkey story

Re: collecting dead animals
by kr79 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:48 pm

Back in 2003 I was driving a artic bulker on landfill work for a south London skip firm as well as our own rubbish we did a bit out of other skip yards and council transfer stations.
One firm we pulled out of was a dodgy rough as hell half caravan living people outfit who had a couple of old stables in the yard with a a couple of scaby sorry looking donkeys in there. One Thursday afternoon I went in there and one of the donkeys had keeled over and there was already a few flys buzzing round.
The Guvnor wasn’t paying for the pet cemetery and came over and said alright if we put it on you. I said no way you can’t send it down a landfill site so without blinking he pulled out a wad of cash that could have choked a donkey rolled of a 50 and said are you sure. The colour of money clouded my judgement so I took the 50 and said ok but don’t take the ■■■■ with it. I pop down to the cafe come back and it’s loaded so I Pulled on to the weighbridge all ok so I just shut the easy sheet went back to the yard to park up.
Next morning I got in started the truck and instead of hearing a v8 scania fire up I got the ominous click of a knackerd starter motor and ended up in a spare lorry.
No work Saturday so it was Monday by the time muffin the mule was making his final voyage. 4-30 am I’m in the yard and I’m away down the old Kent road over blackheath down the a2 and off to the dartford tunnel. I got to the barrier and the attendant said your overheight. This wasn’t a surprise as my trailer was 15 ft 6 and often something sticking ip would set the sensors off. So I said il go for the right hand tunnel she said no your to high for it pull in to the tanker bay and sort it out.
I pulled in to the bay climbed up to se the now rotting donkey rolled half on it’s back and two rigimorticed legs sticking well up in the air. I opened the easy sheet and tried pushing this stinking thing back on it’s side but it just kept rolling back over. I grabed one of the legs and tried bending it but it was solid as a oak tree.
By this time I was covered in sweat and flys and heard another truck pull up I looked down to see Tony a guy I worked with he climbed up and just said what the [zb]. Now there was two of us trying to roll the dead donkey and bend it’s legs with little sucsess.
He said il be back in a second and returned with a big hacksaw and handed it to me and just said crack on son. My face droped and I said what am I going to do withthat and he replied cut it’s [zb] legs off son. I said I can’t he said I ain’t and have you got a better idea so I set to cutting thrrough the rotting flesh and bone. I was heaving at the blood and maggots going every where but eventualt cut far enough to bend them over. I came down covered in blood with a swarm of flys round me and went through the tunnel and to the landfill at averley.
I tipped it out and the fixer driver jumped out of his d8 saying you can’t tip that here and I had to give him 20 quid to keep his mouth shut.
Last edited by Colingl on Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language edit, if it needs stars it ain’t allowed.

Copied and pasted from when I posted it before

Still feel ill when I think of this now.

AndrewG:
Ever more reasons for the UK govt to ban anything over 4m from their roads,these ridiculously tall trailers are just not needed…

I disagree lol! Double deckers are great when you’ve got to whack on 1848 cages.