Over exaggerated shortage

Does anyone else smell ■■■■■■■■■ with this driver shortage.

Everytime I put the news on its driver this driver that. Cant get this can’t get that all down to a lack of drivers.

I don’t get it.

Why doesn’t anyone report on the crazy inflation at the minute?

Building materials has gone up over 40-50% over the past 12 months I have not heard one thing about it.
If you want your house built your paying 40% extra material costs and labour costs have gone through the rough. No one is saying anything about it.

Price of fuel is gone through the roof I clocked £1.40 a litre at local garage yesterday.

Price of food is gone up crazy aswell.

The price of buying a property has sky rocketed over the past 18 months aswell.

Does anyone else think it’s exaggerated driver shortage and looking for a escape goat and blaming shortage of drivers for every thing you can possible think off?

Agency pay rates are probably a good barometer. I did agency work until about 18 months ago and £13 per hour for weekday work was the best I ever got. Now the texts they send me offer an absolute minimum of £15 per hour.

Harry Monk:
Agency pay rates are probably a good barometer. I did agency work until about 18 months ago and £13 per hour for weekday work was the best I ever got. Now the texts they send me offer an absolute minimum of £15 per hour.

Yes I understand there isn’t a huge pool of spare drivers kicking around just now. so wages are at a premium just now.

But come on to ■■■■■
Every single thing in the country is due to a driver shortage.
drivers wages haven’t risen that much to justify the inflation on everything else over the past 12 to 18 months. but the BBC news would have you believe it’s all due to greedy truckers wages.

Themoocher:
but the BBC news would have you believe it’s all due to greedy truckers wages.

There’s your problem, people believe the British Bullshining Corporation .

They, (mostly agencies) have been on about a phoney driver shortage for the last few years, those who could see through the crap asked why drivers wages were so poor,.and if there actually was a shortage we would be on decent money.
Lo and behold there actually now is a genuine shortage, proven by the fact most of us have had a decent pay raise…or in my case 3 in 7 months.

This country is ran by the inept, earning serious money.as well as most big firms, it goes right down their food chains from the top to second from bottom, to look for something/somebody to blame for incompetence down the chain.

Every now and again there is a bloody good excuse that they can all blame, last two classics were Brexit and Covid, but now the driver shortage is heading straight to no 1 in the ‘bandwagon chart’. and instead of addressing and solving the problem head on,.'they will continue to make every excuse and go to the usual method of temporary solutions, and sticking plasters,…letting foreign drivers back in being the flavour of the month.
Good old UK eh?

In the meantime the media blame macine,.which drip feeds propaganda until the gullible believe it…ie greedy truckers, is making us even more unpopular than we already were. :laughing:

Shortage of Drivers,nothing being said that not many of the younger generation have the money to fork out £3-4k to get a licence,plus CPC and digi card to work 5/7 rota up to 15 hrs a shift starting at silly o`clock times,and wreck their social life all in one go.
Along with the Drivers 45 and over not being able to get a GP appointments for a £100 + medical, granted you can get cheaper but that depends as and when the “Dr” is in the area,and if your not bothered about the findings going on your medical records.

Themoocher:
Does anyone else smell [zb] with this driver shortage.

Everytime I put the news on its driver this driver that. Cant get this can’t get that all down to a lack of drivers.

I don’t get it.

Why doesn’t anyone report on the crazy inflation at the minute?

Building materials has gone up over 40-50% over the past 12 months I have not heard one thing about it.
If you want your house built your paying 40% extra material costs and labour costs have gone through the rough. No one is saying anything about it.

Price of fuel is gone through the roof I clocked £1.40 a litre at local garage yesterday.

Price of food is gone up crazy aswell.

The price of buying a property has sky rocketed over the past 18 months aswell.

Does anyone else think it’s exaggerated driver shortage and looking for a escape goat and blaming shortage of drivers for every thing you can possible think off?

Increases in inflation require increases in interest rates as a counter measure.
The Government cannot increase interest rates sufficiently to counter as it would cause financial chaos in our over indebted society.
Their only solution right now is denial - inflation is still officially <3%.

lolipop:
Shortage of Drivers,nothing being said that not many of the younger generation have the money to fork out £3-4k to get a licence,plus CPC and digi card to work 5/7 rota up to 15 hrs a shift starting at silly o`clock times,and wreck their social life all in one go.
Along with the Drivers 45 and over not being able to get a GP appointments for a £100 + medical, granted you can get cheaper but that depends as and when the “Dr” is in the area,and if your not bothered about the findings going on your medical records.

Also nothing said about the large number of drivers who’s reaction to the DCPC forced upon them with the expense it brought ,.was…
‘‘Aye and ■■■■ that’’ and jacked.

ScaniaUltimate:
The Government cannot increase interest rates sufficiently to counter as it would cause financial chaos in our over indebted society.

The official Government inflation figures are pure fiction. I’d say that on the things people actually buy in everyday life, inflation is around 15% at the moment.

robroy:
They, (mostly agencies) have been on about a phoney driver shortage for the last few years, those who could see through the crap asked why drivers wages were so poor,.and if there actually was a shortage we would be on decent money.
Lo and behold there actually now is a genuine shortage, proven by the fact most of us have had a decent pay raise…or in my case 3 in 7 months.

This country is ran by the inept, earning serious money.as well as most big firms, it goes right down their food chains from the top to second from bottom, to look for something/somebody to blame for incompetence down the chain.

Every now and again there is a bloody good excuse that they can all blame, last two classics were Brexit and Covid, but now the driver shortage is heading straight to no 1 in the ‘bandwagon chart’. and instead of addressing and solving the problem head on,.'they will continue to make every excuse and go to the usual method of temporary solutions, and sticking plasters,…letting foreign drivers back in being the flavour of the month.
Good old UK eh?

In the meantime the media blame macine,.which drip feeds propaganda until the gullible believe it…ie greedy truckers, is making us even more unpopular than we already were. :laughing:

I agree there isn’t a pool of drivers as the has been over the past 20 years.
But come on to ■■■■.
shelf stores empty at xmas as crisis on shortage of lorry drivers
Wetherspoons running dry
Diet coke
Every thing you can think of seems to be to lorry shortage.

They don’t mention it’s taking 6 months to deliver timber or blocks at a 40% increase last year.
Or the inflation over the past 12 to 18 months on everything else.

Do you not think its getting blown out of proportion here and smell a rat somewhere?

Of course I do, I was agreeing with you.
As I said they are ALL jumping in this latest convenient bandwagon to cover all means of incompetence and lack of development and investment, which is the real reason for this shortage.

you have the perfect whipping boy with the “lorry driver” as they are prettymuch the only visable part of the supply chain. All the eastern europeans that were in the factorys and warehouses aren’t visable tojoe public so we cant mention that there isnt enough people to make the stuff so the only solution is to blame the drivers.

Add to that the compleate balls up thresa may made of negotiations which did nothing but line her and her mates pockets. Plus all the greedy companies that see an excuse to jump on the bandwagon and put thier prices up and you have got what you have.

As has been said many times on here the only shortage i have seen is of jobs that offer a fair wage for a fair days worknand treat you as a human with dignity and respect.

Harry Monk:

ScaniaUltimate:

The official Government inflation figures are pure fiction. I’d say that on the things people actually buy in everyday life, inflation is around 15% at the moment.

I would say more Harry.
Honestly I work on sites everday now operating cranes and it’s crazy crazy can’t go on much longer crazy.
40% increase in materials costs alone on a 70k built house is 30k at least added on to a new build worth 180-200k semi. Plus the wages increase on sites has gone through the roof… brickie are over 250 a day min. They only wanna work 4 days now.
You can bang new timber houses 2 semi, 3 bed houses up in one day yes one day. They put one skim of brick on it and roof and windows and plaster board and it’s done.
The problem is when the new costs catch up next year and Joe public can’t afford the new costs and it all goes pop.

robroy:
Of course I do, I was agreeing with you.
As I said they are ALL jumping in this latest convenient bandwagon to cover all means of incompetence and lack of development and investment, which is the real reason for this shortage.

I’m sure there are more than sufficient numbers of people who would like to drive HGVs for a living if the companies who operate those HGVs would train them how to do it. The thought of doing this seems completely alien to the industry.

Themoocher:
I would say more Harry.
Honestly I work on sites everday now operating cranes and it’s crazy crazy can’t go on much longer crazy.
40% increase in materials costs alone on a 70k built house is 30k at least added on to a new build worth 180-200k semi. Plus the wages increase on sites has gone through the roof… brickie are over 250 a day min. They only wanna work 4 days now.
You can bang new timber houses 2 semi, 3 bed houses up in one day yes one day. They put one skim of brick on it and roof and windows and plaster board and it’s done.
The problem is when the new costs catch up next year and Joe public can’t afford the new costs and it all goes pop.

Could well be. According to Construction News, imported plywood was up by 29.8% in May 2021 compared to a year before, fabricated steel was up by 38% and concrete rebar nearly 43% over the previous 12 months.

Harry Monk:

Themoocher:
I would say more Harry.

Could well be. According to Construction News, imported plywood was up by 29.8% in May 2021 compared to a year before, fabricated steel was up by 38% and concrete rebar nearly 43% over the previous 12 months.

It’s what I don’t understand
Everything has gone up on the costs to buy anything crazy %.
But a haulage company can’t put his costs up on the customer to move the goods.
They expect to run with costs on a driver on £9 ph while everything else is going through the roof.
I don’t get it that’s why I smell a rat with all this mass shortage.

The point we’re at now started a few decades ago IMO. I first climbed into a truck aged 6 in 1986 and I’ve been in and out of them since that day. Can’t say when that all stopped exactly but nowadays taking your kids with you on runs is very much unheard of. I imagine many of us on here got into this industry in this way.

Then came along the in cab phones, trackers and worst of all, driver facing cameras. Not to mention EU driving rules increasing the max working day to 15 hours.

Oh and did I forget the 24/7 shopping, next day delivery lifestyle we created for ourselves. Artics running 200 mile from one amazon depot to another on a Sunday night with 2 pallets on coz of the oh so important parcels on the back which must be delivered tomorrow or the world will end.

Went to an RDC last week and when I asked about the toilet I was directed to a portaloo. And they want more women in the industry. Yeah right.

Why would a young person put themselves forward for all this. When I say it out loud I wonder why I do it myself. I guess mostly coz I foolishly left school with nothing worth shouting about and I can’t be arsed to do anything about it and I can’t earn this money anywhere else.

Kids are at school till 18 these days and have more options. I imagine truck driving is pretty low down.

Harry Monk:

ScaniaUltimate:

I would describe it as manipulated fact.
They load the always changing ‘basket of goods’ with items they know will go down in price (such as LED bulbs which are a developing, emerging technology therefore becoming cheaper over time) plus items they can trust to their industrial friends to keep prices low on.
It certainly is not based on the reality of everyday life as you & I would like it to be.

Companies should train their own drivers.Stobbies and Turners do it.Why should the tax payer do it.They cant just cream profits .I have had 3 pay rises this year alone .Where is the money coming from.The good thing is i dont go to Aldi and Lidl.Our mob have refused to deliver there.One of our drivers slipped and fell in Lidl.

I think you’re absolutely correct in calling out the driver shortage as the go to excuse for a myriad of supply chain failures, most of which are nothing to do with HGV drivers
I had to smile when I read our favourite pub chain owner, the vaguely reptilian Mr Tim Martin, blaming the shortage of Heineken and Coors beers on industrial action by draymen
Industrial action that never took place Tim? A strike that was called off by GXO secondary drivers and warehouse workers Tim? So please explain how that works?
You’re dead right when you say the Mainstream Media outlets have an agenda to paint HGV drivers as grabbing heartless militants who’ve deliberately caused a shortage by refusing to do the sheet tee job anymore