Over 9 hours drive

I’ve just read a good one on Facebook, a driver stating that if you drive over 9hrs then that is classed as 15hr and it’s a reduced break regardless of shift length !!

Anyone else heard this?

New one on me… but in practice I don’t think I’ve ever gone into a ten hour drive without also being over a 13 hour spreadover. Then again I’ve never done a Southampton-Aberdeen or European run.

Darb:
I’ve just read a good one on Facebook, a driver stating that if you drive over 9hrs then that is classed as 15hr and it’s a reduced break regardless of shift length !!

Anyone else heard this?

No, because it’s a load of utter pish.

A.

Total foo foo !
10 hrs driving max
1.5 hrs of breaks
= 11.5 hrs
This leaves 1.5 hrs before the 13 hrs is breached giving a reduced rest .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I max driving hours each week but only do on average a 54hr week, 3x10, 2x12. 2x10hr drives doesnt equate to any short breaks although i do 2x9hr breaks purely to break the boredom of having to sit around for 11hrs a day…

Darb:

Anyone else heard this?

Like a lot of stuff on Facebook it’s nonsense.

Sent from my mobile.

I’m working Saturday not. Just five hours but it reduces my weekly rest by about 6 hours which I’ll pay back next week.

Although according to one guy in my yard I don’t need to pay it back at all :open_mouth:

Thought it was another ‘‘What sort of execution can I expect, or do you think I should leave the country’’ type post. :smiley: :unamused:

robroy:
Thought it was another ‘‘What sort of execution can I expect, or do you think I should leave the country’’ type post. :smiley: :unamused:

:laughing: …manual entry reading ’ looked for a ■■■■■■■■■■■■, country was full’… :grimacing:

lot of these young kids planning arnt very clued up on the regs , so I’m sure if you said over 9 hrs driving = a 15 they’d eventually believe it ( most drivers want rid of bothere 15,s before Friday for obvious reasons so will try on something to rid there’s self esteem of a 15 ) , I.e I send my times in every day , but come Thurs / Friday the same question commes up , have you any 15,s left , a 2 second look at the times sent in should answer his question without
the need to ring the driver .
though I’d prefer really that he kept ringing me for obvious reasons :wink:

toonsy:
I’m working Saturday not. Just five hours but it reduces my weekly rest by about 6 hours which I’ll pay back next week.

Although according to one guy in my yard I don’t need to pay it back at all :open_mouth:

You will have to pay it back, and in full…

However you can pay back the 6hrs at any point during the working week it doesn’t necessarily have to be attached to the end of a full 45hr weekly rest, in other words as long as you can attach it onto the end of any minimum 9hr daily rest then you’d have paid back your reduced weekly rest of 6 hrs in full, however you need to fulfil these following three criteria…

1. You will still need to take a full 45hr weekly rest the following end of working week. (There are exceptions to this but it’s best policy to alternate reduced and full weekly rests)
  2. The 9hr reduced daily rest must fall within the worked days 24hr period (i.e. 15hr shift + 9hrs off = 24hrs) the payback can fall anywhere or completely into the following 24hr period but must be attached to the end of the 9hr RDR (reduced daily rest)
  3. the 6hr payback must be taken in one complete block it cannot be split up (4hrs Mon night, 2hrs Wed night for example is not allowed)

What is really saddening about the two main Facebook trucking groups isn’t how many people who don’t know the basics of tacho regs but how many of those replying don’t either but will go to their graves convinced they’re right even though you post the regs and even the simplified versions.

Clear lack of understanding.

Reef:

toonsy:

However you can pay back the 6hrs at any point during the working week it doesn’t necessarily have to be attached to the end of a full 45hr weekly rest, in other words as long as you can attach it onto the end of any minimum 9hr daily rest then you’d have paid back your reduced weekly rest of 6 hrs in full, however you need to fulfil these following three criteria…

1. You will still need to take a full 45hr weekly rest the following end of working week. (There are exceptions to this but it’s best policy to alternate reduced and full weekly rests)
  2. The 9hr reduced daily rest must fall within the worked days 24hr period (i.e. 15hr shift + 9hrs off = 24hrs) the payback can fall anywhere or completely into the following 24hr period but must be attached to the end of the 9hr RDR (reduced daily rest)
  3. the 6hr payback must be taken in one complete block it cannot be split up (4hrs Mon night, 2hrs Wed night for example is not allowed)

I know this. I’m just surprised that somebody didn’t know hence the shock face

toonsy:

Reef:

toonsy:

I know this. I’m just surprised that somebody didn’t know hence the shock face

I’m not suggesting you didn’t, but if someone/anyone is prepared to take the time and lay it out clearly and concisely then it may just save a newbie or two some confusion and headaches if they happen to search the said topic, just trying to make the point clear that’s all :slight_smile: