Outside lane on motorways

What are the rules about using the outside lane as a HGV. I would just copy the other (more experienced) hgvs on the road but there seems to be no consistency to what I see them do. I know you can use it if your on a 2 lane motorway or when overtaking a wide load using both nearside lanes. Here’s the crux of my question.

The motorway has 4 lanes. 4th merges into 3ed. If your in the 3ed when they merge how long do you have to get back in before Mr plod pulls you over for a chat?

2nd sinario is again 3 or 4 lane motorway. Your at a junction where to continue on the motorway you need to stay in the outside 2 lanes. At what point can you go into the far outside lane to overtake Mr timid traveling at under 50mph? While again avoiding an uncomfortable conversation with Mr plod.

Thanks guys (and girls… I know your on here too)

In the case of a junction where lane 1 drops, I would say where the marking between lane 1 and 2 changes to the exit marking you could assume that lane 3 has become lane 2 of the continuing carriageway.
But I’m not personally planning to test that in court to find out, as I’m sure some people would argue that it is the point where the exit taper starts.

If in lane 3 of 4 and then lane 4 ends it is up to the LGV driver to get out of that lane as soon as safely possible

Where perhaps 4 lanes will go into 2 + 2 then the LGV driver should get into their 2 lanes in good time if safe to do so without causing inconvenience to others

There are no hard and fast rules - common sense applies to each situation

OK thanks.

ROG, would it be safe to say then, as there are no hard and fast rules, that if you’ve passed the signs and your not doing anything dangerous or stupid you couldn’t be fined or prosecuted for using the outside lane?

Agree with ROG, common sense applies, but if there’s a copper about and you could have got back into an inside lane comfortably but decided to ‘‘go for it’’ instead, expect a pull and depending on attitude and what else he finds you could easily get a nick.
As with all things, if it looks like you’re taking the ■■■■ don’t be surprised if a copper does the biz.

TheTrogFather:
OK thanks.

ROG, would it be safe to say then, as there are no hard and fast rules, that if you’ve passed the signs and your not doing anything dangerous or stupid you couldn’t be fined or prosecuted for using the outside lane?

Exactly that

If you have passed the signs and missed an easily safe opportunity to move left then you could be in trouble if you ever found a trafpol car near you or got caught on CCTV

As above . There’s plenty of paint on the floor with a variety of short dot tied lines and long ones that show when lane guidance begins

It’s a bit like coming down the M6 J11a
If your in lane 2 towards the M6 toll split taking the 2nd lane just before the toll road puts you in lane 3 as you go towards j11.
Usually quicker than sitting behind a plodder in lane 1 now that the "end of roadworks " sign is up and national speed limit signs are back up.
Only thing is you have to be a bit sharpish getting back to lane 1 but that said today there was 2 cars and 4 artics doing it so happy days you do get some looks but that’s half the fun lol

Jeff.

If you are Romanian or Bulgarian, you can use whatever lane you choose.( Including the hard shoulder ).