Outside lane ban

According to a trucking magazine, I forgot which one, the government is deciding on how to implement the motorway outside lane ban for vehicles 3.5 t to 7.5t. Speed limiters will have to be fitted from 01 January 2005 and retrospectively to older vehicles until 2008. Should

1. All vehicles in this category be banned from 01 January 2005 or

2. Only vehicles fitted with speed limiters be banned ?

All vehicles in the category - otherwise it’s going to confuse the muppets in cars even more than now :wink:

Heres the link for the proposal to ban 7.5 tonners from lane 3. I think the consultation period has already expired (cannot have too many people knowing about it in time can we? :frowning: )

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_031224-02.hcsp

If they did implement plan B (ie ban limiter fitted vehicles) I wonder how they would show them to the public. Mind you the average BMW driver would soon find out when he ran up the back of a 56 mph truck in lane 3!

Another nail in the coffin for 7.5 tonners IMHO. It wont cost much more to operate 9 or 10 tonners. Get the extra payload for not much extra cash.

Calv

This is going to be interesting! :open_mouth:

In that same trucking mag, it says it this move will push operators either towards 3.5 ton vans or up the scale to 18 tonners.

I think it would be a good idea to ban the nearside lane as well, and force everyone to only use the middle lane…that way everyone would get a 30 hour week because nothing would move, and there would be a traffic jam from north to south…total chaos…lubbly…jubbly… and while theyre at it ban using one lane on dual carriageways as well…
have a nice day

at least it’ll reduce the chances of me being stuck behind an asthmatic b-reg white trannie-van on the M180 as it plays snail racing with a tanker and a 40ft flatbed for 9 miles - while I’ve got me crotch rocket bike about to slit its wrists for being sat on the tick-over in top gear :smiley:

b reg ■■■■■■ thats meeeeee :laughing: