Outrage over prosecution of people contemplating suicide

There’s outrage tonight over people being prosecuted for disrupting traffic after apparently threatening to take their own lives.
In the past two weeks two women have been taken to court and fined - one of them an 18 year old grieving for her mother, the other a woman who was being treated in a psychiatric hospital. Both were spotted near the M602 motorway in Greater Manchester.

Why bring other people into it. totally agree with it…go and do it in ya own home if you’re going to do it.

itv.com/news/granada/update … g-suicide/

Typical Government reaction! Instead of helping people who are obviously suffering immense mental pressures they think that adding to them pressures by financially penalising them is the answer.

I’m no bleeding heart liberal and I get just as ■■■■■■ off as the next man when my journey is interrupted by a suicide or suicide attempt, but let’s have some perspective here ffs!

Well yes, if you were of sound mind you would go and do the bis quietly, so as not to hinder anyone else.

Sadly if your life and mind are in such a bloody state that you are about to take your life, you pretty obviously aint of sound mind, and arguably are more or less insane at that moment… even the once hard hearted Catholic church allows proper burials of suicides now, because they recognise sensibly that the person doing this isn’t of sound mind at that time.

Brilliant idea to add another layer of turmoil to their troubled minds by fining them and putting them through the stress of legal proceedings though, well done chaps, here have a knighthood for coming up with such a brilliant wheeze, not only likely to see the potential suicide more suicidal then ever, but filched some wonga out of his or her trousers before the act eh, bravo Percy :unamused:

Yes it might be annoying at the time if it causes traffic jams, but i can’t condemn any poor bugger who’s driven to take their own life, until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes you can’t imagine what has driven them to this point.

Any half-decent lawyer will get her/them out of this so more money wasted on prosecuting people for petty stuff. Haven’t read the UK law but I’m quite certain a mentally unfit person can’t be held responsible for their actions. Fine an 18 year old - ok. Good luck getting that money from her. Oh and if they do get it, would it be enough to cover the costs of arrest + investigation + prosecution + court time + defense lawyer:?: Wouldn’t it be cheaper to just help those people with their mental issues instead?

I’ve read some post on here over the years , but the post from juddian takes some beating . I couldn’t have put it better precise and to the point none of us wants to be kept waiting sitting in traffic cursing the prat who’s holding us all up , but the comment about walking a mile in their shoes sums it up , well said that man

gerard:
I’ve read some post on here over the years , but the post from juddian takes some beating . I couldn’t have put it better precise and to the point none of us wants to be kept waiting sitting in traffic cursing the prat who’s holding us all up , but the comment about walking a mile in their shoes sums it up , well said that man

I’ll second that.

Third it …

So many people are being over burdened with stress of one sort or another. Social services don’t offer much help and situations spiral out of control. They deserve sympathy not prosecution.

Sometimes asking for help isn’t as easy as people think, it often takes an action to get noticed, and sometimes even then it’s too late

These people need help not prosecution but…I have absolutely no sympathy for anybody who throws themselves off a bridge to the traffic and innocent victims below.
I unfortunately have driven through the remains of a ‘jumper’ ( Yes arms and legs etc) an upsetting experience for me and also the police officer who had to crawl under my truck to check for body parts stuck to the chassis …and I wasn’t the unfortunate driver who hit them .
By luck nobody else was killed or injured , a busy M1 in Yorkshire , it could so easily have been a multi fatality caused by a ‘thoughtless’ suicide jumper.

A few so called ‘nice’ people have replied to this thread saying they have no sympathy to the deceased whatsoever because it inconvenienced them or something. Years ago on the river bank opposite Colemans in Norwich I sat and watched some chap eating what I thought at the time were sweets but later discovered they were tablets of some kind and they killed him in front of me, turned out at his inquest that his daughter and her husband wanted him to go into an old folks home so they could have his house … also my 21 year old nephew topped himself in 2005 so yes I have absolute 100% sympathy with anyone desperate enough to go to such drastic lengths … so sorry ( like ■■■■■ for you if you are held up for a while …

I think it’s a bloody great idea. And whilst were at it, maybe we can fine epileptic who have seizures in shops and damage goods. Not to mention dementia sufferers who use up huge emergency services resources every time they go off on a wonder. And as for asthmatics who have attacks whilst exercising, it’s a lung condition for ■■■■■ sake, throw the bloody book at them.

For those who made it this far, I should point out that the above is an ironic rant. Never in my life have I heard such rubbish as prosecuting someone for being ill and using resources that are there to help all of us. Mental illness is exactly that, an illness. Punishing those who make bad choices as a result of this illness pushes it back underground and takes us back 10 years.

my gut feeling is theres a lot more suicides now than before. i know that a lot never make the papers . there seems to be a rise in mental health awareness recently so thats good rather than just ignoring it . my sister took her own life and i know of several ordinary people iv met in my day to day who have done the deed . not everyone can be successful in life i sense thats a lot of it, or maybe you just get a run of bad luck .

corij:
my gut feeling is theres a lot more suicides now than before. .

According to the number crunchers it is the opposite, in 2017 anyway

“The UK male suicide rate of 15.5 deaths per 100,000 was the lowest since our time-series began in 1981; for females, the UK rate was 4.9 deaths per 100,000, this remains consistent with the rates seen in the last 10 years.”

From here :- ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation … istrations

Still over 5,000 people in a year, so more than die in road accidents which sort of gives you food for thought about priorities :question:

I keep coming back to this thread and reading it and the link, not that I’m morbid, but mainly to see your responses.
Mental health takes many forms, and affects a larger number of people within your individual circles than you know. Sometimes having the ability to spot a problem is all it takes to help resolve a situation, suicide is more or less the silent cry for help, sadly it’s becoming a little more common.
I have PTSD, doesn’t mean I’m a nutter and in all fairness I’m not sure you’d notice, you’d probably think I’m a bit odd and a little difficult to work with, but isn’t everybody.
I always found it difficult to work with civvies, the attitudes towards things weren’t on my level, things such as helping a colleague finish a task so he could knock off the same time as everyone else, shirking responsibilities and passing in menial tasks.
I would sit on my own in my car on breaks and often had to grit my teeth when being spoke to by middle management half my age.
Situations I found difficult to deal with at work, I would take home with me allowing them to build up, and the problems we all face in life from time to time such as financial difficulties only added to things.I couldn’t burden my missus with things and she’s been brilliant accepting my changing moods, days of silence and the odd tear or two. I had a sit down meeting with the manager who suggested I look for something else.
Which is why I became a driver.
About 5 years ago I was sat in a crew room and a driver came in and started chatting to me, didn’t know him and he worked for another company, he was an ex squaddie, we sat and swung the lamp chinwagging, his bay number was called and returning with his paperwork he gave me a card with a number on it for an exforces charity, he also gave me his number and told me if I needed a chat he was there.
Forces are taught a buddy buddy system, where they look after each other, this doesn’t exist in the civvi workplace, and people are too busy to notice.
It’s been said in the comments that there was a recent mental health awareness week, which I personally don’t think is enough.
Pride is a massive hurdle and the stigmata of mental health especially for men is huge. Speak out and look for help if things get you down, If you see the loner at work try and bring him into your circle of friends, it may be he just likes his own company but unless you offer you’ll never know, the guy who keeps getting things wrong, perhaps other things on his mind take priority over the task in hand, you don’t have to be a councillor just someone to give a mate 5 mins.

rearaxle:
There’s outrage tonight over people being prosecuted for disrupting traffic after apparently threatening to take their own lives.
In the past two weeks two women have been taken to court and fined - one of them an 18 year old grieving for her mother, the other a woman who was being treated in a psychiatric hospital. Both were spotted near the M602 motorway in Greater Manchester.

Why bring other people into it. totally agree with it…go and do it in ya own home if you’re going to do it.

itv.com/news/granada/update … g-suicide/

Spoken like a true Tory!!

Japan had a big problem with oneunders on the subway. Their solution, fine the deceased’s estate/family for the disruption costs.

Suddenly no-one say the subway as the way to top themselves as it added further shame and poverty to their family.

Mind you that was in a culture based on honour.

There is almost a queue to chuck yourself off the Humber Bridge lately, maybe they should have a pedestrian toll barrier, return is cheaper than one way.

My suggestion is as ridiculous as the OP [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surely a vialble alternative to causing all sorts of inconvenience to everyone else?

horrorfuel.com/2018/04/15/suicid … a-reality/