Outback Truckers

Just think of all the poor animals they would hit too :shock:

Out the Back of Taraleah this morning.
This is about 50k’s into the southern forest.

At the landing, by this time it’s about 1 1/2 hours through the forest ( from the sealed road.)

Big Box ( Tod Boxhall ) on the loader.

36 and a 1/2 tons on board 57 all up, time to go and slide in the mud

Arty shot.

Jeff…

Retired Old ■■■■:
Just think of all the damage the Yanks could do to the transmission with those long Aussie gearsticks!

The the whole power train / transmission is USA spec ,except the the driver being on the right.

Jel, these snaps are impressive! But in all honesty compared to EU trucks they look like bone shakers to me?

Yes Harry they could be described as such, but they’re designed as loggers, the cab is mounted direct onto the chassis with only a big rubber ■■■■■ in between, and there’s no seat suspension either. They give a very positive feel of what’s happening at the wheels. But the inside is bristling with all kinds of diff locks, power dividers, on board weighing, central tire inflation ( the pipes connected to the drive wheels ) and hydraulic stuff to operate the loading and unloading of the jinkers ( trailers ).

That one only has a baby B (2 tandem trailers,) at the moment as we are doing a job that even by British standards has very tight and steep access track, most of which is made of mud. I was going to take some photos of the rest of the road but most of the time it demands full concentration to stop it sliding into the ditch. That logging coupe is at 1200 meters alt and the paper mill is at sea level.

On the easier access jobs we use tri- tri jinkers and run them at 73 ton.
11 drivers on 5 trucks, 2 shifts per day, 11 hours each shift, 6 days a week.

Jeff…

V. organised operation. BTW,you are always rapid with your responses -what time zone are you using?
I’m in the thumb twiddling zone,waiting for a buyer for my gaff so that I can help the poor in LOS. :roll:

The k’s aren’t big on them, as half of the time we’re in the forest doing about 50’ks max. and the speed limiters are set at 100 for highway, but most of the highway is about 20 feet wide, up and down hill and not in good condition, and 20 jinkers an hour on it, so we tend to hold the speed down a bit. You can tell the guys that want to go fast as they end up in the ditch after a few trips and go back home to the north island.
The track we’re on at the moment that goes to that log coupe, think Mont Blank on the Italian side, but made of mud, with big rocks poking through it. It won’t be logged again up there for another 50 years so it’s not worth spending big bucks on infrastructure.

According to world time, at the moment we’re 9 hours in front of you. So I’m from the future…

Jeff…