out of scope

recently my boss was kind enough to offer the loan of one of our wagons to take some railway sleepers to my house(hes a very nice man) :unamused:
now, as it wasnt my sat to work(we work every other sat morn to ensure weekly rest) our transport manager didnt want me to take it as he wasnt sure about out of scope driving counting toward weekly hours.
having trawled through vosa’s website ive been unable to find a specific quote about driving not for hire or reward,any ideas anyone

Whats the gross vehicle weight?

Most vehicles over 7.5t come under the regs even for said movements. It upsets many a weekend horserider with big horsebox.

would have been a 26tonner

I don’t think you will find an exemption or derogation. I believe many a trucker is in scope when off to a weekend truck show, and they arn’t even moving a load in many cases!

Then again, I could be wrong…

The work you’ve described is not out of scope of EU regulations so the driving time would count towards the weekly driving limit.

mezzzz1211:
having trawled through vosa’s website ive been unable to find a specific quote about driving not for hire or reward,any ideas anyone

You probably won’t find anything about for hire or reward as it’s not relevant to the EU regulations, the EU regulations are for drivers engaged in the carriage of goods.

but if the goods belong to me and are going to my home address surely it must be exempt( and i like calling you surely lol)

i wouldnt have thought it would make any odds who the goods belong to, it would be like any private company who haul there own goods around as in the driver is still under tacho rules. it only makes a difference to the operators licence I think unless the vehicle is taxed as plg ( or hgv equivalent)

mezzzz1211:
but if the goods belong to me and are going to my home address surely it must be exempt( and i like calling you surely lol)

:unamused:

mezzzz1211:

By your logic, any vehicle returning to base from a job that is empty would be out of scope, that must be wrong don’t you think?

Sorry to ■■■■ in with a question of my own, but it is related…

I will be moving home shortly, and had planned to hire a 7.5 tonne vehicle for the day.

1. Do I need to use the tacho?
  2. Will it affect my weekly rest as it will be on a Saturday?

If yes to the above… how do the people go on who can drive a 7.5 tonner on their car licence and have never driven professionally? Would they be refused the hire? I’m sure my Dad has hired one before and only been asked if it was for personal use. No mention of the tacho. ■■

I’m thinking it may be less hassle to hire a sprinter and do a couple of trips :unamused:

grumpybum:

I will be moving home shortly, and had planned to hire a 7.5 tonne vehicle for the day.

If yes to the above… how do the people go on who can drive a 7.5 tonner on their car licence and have never driven professionally? Would they be refused the hire? I’m sure my Dad has hired one before and only been asked if it was for personal use. No mention of the tacho. ■■

I’m thinking it may be less hassle to hire a sprinter and do a couple of trips :unamused:

7.5 t is the maximum weight that you can now use privately without using a tachograph, as long as it’s for private use and not exceeding 7.5 tonne it’s out of scope of the EU regulations so you won’t have a problem :wink:

mezzzz1211:
but if the goods belong to me and are going to my home address surely it must be exempt

Nope, as has already been said if you’re carrying goods it’s in-scope, it doesn’t matter who the goods belong to or where they are going they still bring the vehicle in-scope of EU regulations.

There are all kinds of exemptions, but the fact that the goods are yours and going to your house is not one of them :wink:

tachograph:

grumpybum:

7.5 t is the maximum weight that you can now use privately without using a tachograph, as long as it’s for private use and not exceeding 7.5 tonne it’s out of scope of the EU regulations so you won’t have a problem :wink:

Thanks tachograph :slight_smile: