Out of scope

Hi, if I only ever undertake out of scope work and the digi tacho is permanently on the ‘OUT’ mode (I don’t insert driver card), am I exempt from having to download vehicle data from the tacho?

Either you need a Tacho in your Vehicle,or you dont.
If you need a Tacho then Vosa may ask once for some Data,dont matter if you were out of Scope or in.

The vehicle we have bought has a digi tacho fitted but we are not using the vehicle on out of scope work. Should we set the tacho to ‘OUT’ mode and is it ok to leave it like this permanently. Also, if no driver card is being inserted then there is nothing to download from the card because we are exempt but are we still required to download ‘vehicle’ data from the tachograph?

Last post should have read ‘not using the vehicle for in-scope work’, typo.

If the vehicle is never being used under EU regs then the authorities are not interested in it

The only requirement is that the tacho seal must be kept sealed - no calibration etc etc

Thanks for reply. So we are safe enough to leave it on out of scope mode permanently and not touch it again. No driver card needs to be inserted and we don’t have to download vehicle data? Someone told us that we still need to download the vehicle data to show it has been run on out mode. Yes we will still need to get the tacho calibrated every two years. It’s the downloading we are not sure about, whether we have to do it or not?

This question/thread has got me thinking, along with ROG saying NEVER used under EU regs.
Our work is out of scope, but at present we have a couple of hired in trucks, which obviously got to site using public roads and were therefore in scope. What’s the score there? And if the data from the tacho head is downloaded and there is a huge block of time and mileage without a digicard inserted, who’s going to have to explain that? The hire firm or the person hiring it?

Additionally, I’ve been told that road legal vehicles/trucks on sites that are private ground and therefore out of scope, can travel a short/limited distance on public roads for access. Is this true or some RDC bullshine?

Yes it’s got me thinking too - do you normally have your digi tacho on the out of scope mode?

Tap:
Yes it’s got me thinking too - do you normally have your digi tacho on the out of scope mode?

We don’t even put our card in, and the firm didn’t even check I had one…

Is your tachograph permanently set on the out of scope mode like ours (without a card in)?

Tap:
Is your tachograph permanently set on the out of scope mode like ours (without a card in)?

Nope, they say driving without card! :laughing:

Driving without card - I was under the impression that the mode could be switched to ‘out of scope’ instead of leaving it showing driving without a card.

Tap:
Driving without card - I was under the impression that the mode could be switched to ‘out of scope’ instead of leaving it showing driving without a card.

I don’t know, and to be honest, I’ve not really cared! :laughing:
I’d say it’s the transport managers problem if there is one…
Also it’s not like the police or DVSA are going to be an issue, they have to get past security and the electric fence first! :grimacing:

Tap:

Out of scope just marks the record as being out of scope of EU regulations, as far as I’m aware there’s no way to stop the driving without card warning … well apart from using a card obviously :slight_smile:

Evil8Beezle:
Our work is out of scope, but at present we have a couple of hired in trucks, which obviously got to site using public roads and were therefore in scope. What’s the score there?

The driver who delivers the vehicle probably never carries goods so the journey to your yard is outside of the EU regulations and he doesn’t need to use a driver card.

Evil8Beezle:
And if the data from the tacho head is downloaded and there is a huge block of time and mileage without a digicard inserted, who’s going to have to explain that? The hire firm or the person hiring it?

No-one is ever going to have to explain the missing mileage and the vehicle being driven without a card is easily explained from the companies records of when they took charge of the vehicles.