Out of Scope - how to show that?

Hi experts among you :smiley:

We have a driver taking a truck to the show in Southampton next weekend. He knows he can put the tacho to ‘out of scope’ but what else does he need to do, if anything?

I would have thought that OOS would show on the tacho reports and he wouldn’t need to put his card in but please do tell me if I am mistaken. He’s not taking a trailer with him, just the unit

Thanks

Does that count as out of scope? Not one of them things I’ve researched tbh as it doesn’t affect me, but I’m sure I’ve heard somewhere that it falls within the regs. Happy to be proved wrong however.

I’m probably wrong, “enter TACHOGRAPH please” to correct me but,
as far as I know, you can’t use the “OUT” mode on the open road .
I always understood it to be a function for shunters and the like
to move units (rigids inc) within the premises of a depot.
Unit in park area, needs to go to bay etc.

Go on you tube and type in the make and no. of your tacho ,you will get the info. there. Its about scrolling down and about five presses on vehicle. I think that you would be in scope driving to and from the venue and out of scope when playing about in the show ground.

good_friend:
Hi experts among you :smiley:

We have a driver taking a truck to the show in Southampton next weekend. He knows he can put the tacho to ‘out of scope’ but what else does he need to do, if anything?

I would have thought that OOS would show on the tacho reports and he wouldn’t need to put his card in but please do tell me if I am mistaken. He’s not taking a trailer with him, just the unit

Thanks

Maybe I missed what you were on about when I posted my reply.

He’s going to the show , Yes ? as per normal
Then he’s going to be moving the truck within the showground, i.e. shunting, Yes ?

On the road card in obviously. Whilst on the showground, take out the card and set the tacho to “OUT”
Move around the area as needs be. No card in the tacho .
As soon as he’s going to be back on the road, to return, nothing to touch just put the card back in and go
the “OUT” will disappear

This is another one of those ‘areas’ which is open to misunderstandings I think, hence why I asked

Should he have his card in if the truck isn’t being moved for ‘work’ but is actually in a parade for the NHS? It won’t have a trailer on it and isn’t part of his workday? He isn’t being paid for driving it there or any movement at the show

I know we had this discussion about busses a few months past but can’t remember the final decision as I think it went the normal way of insults and got blocked

Calling Tachograph…where are you Obi Wan? I have questions :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the key presses though, Pierrot, they were very useful. I couldn’t remember how you get to that bit :smiley:

good_friend:
This is another one of those ‘areas’ which is open to misunderstandings I think, hence why I asked

Should he have his card in if the truck isn’t being moved for ‘work’ but is actually in a parade for the NHS? It won’t have a trailer on it and isn’t part of his workday? He isn’t being paid for driving it there or any movement at the show

I know we had this discussion about busses a few months past but can’t remember the final decision as I think it went the normal way of insults and got blocked

Calling Tachograph…where are you Obi Wan? I have questions :laughing: :laughing:

If it’s on the roadf he needs a card in, the only exemptions are if its a 7 and a half tonner being used for personal use, if it’s a solo artic then a card must be used on public roads and you can’t use out of scope.

To enter Out Of Scope on a Stoneridge tacho, go into “Places” and scroll down to OOS, press enter. On mine you need to, go to “Places” scroll to OOS and press to exit OOS, later.
Can your driver use OOS?
As I see it, we assume all 7.5T MPM (plated weight) drivers need to obey EU rules unless exempted for any reason.
I can`t see that he is exempt. (Could be wrong though)

scottie0011:
If it’s on the roadf he needs a card in, the only exemptions are if its a 7 and a half tonner being used for personal use, if it’s a solo artic then a card must be used on public roads and you can’t use out of scope.

I agree.

Full list of exemptions from EU rules.
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … erogations
IF exempt from EU rules, then he would next look at UK Domestic rules:
Here he MAY be exempt if doing less than 4hrs driving on the day in question.
Any driving and duty under GB Domestic, will not be counted as daily break nor weekly rest under EU rules, so be careful there.
Whatever he does, records will need to be kept.
The transport manager will need to account for any time recorded by the vehicle tacho head, but not recorded on a drivers card. . Im no expert, so stand to be corrected. :smiley:

I’m just curious Good Friend, is the truck a regular working truck or one kept all shiny for shows ? Over here if it was a show truck and registered as a private vehicle and ‘not for hire or reward’ then no need driving hours to be kept.

scottie0011:
If it’s on the roadf he needs a card in…

Agree. The EU regs are very hard to plough through, but I did find some info on clarification about “private road” and out if scope.

Essentially, if the road or part of it can be used by the public then out of scope does not apply. This for example driving round your yard is likely out of scope, but an MSA is not.

Therefore I would conclude that for a truck show, any driving there and back is definitely in scope and must be recorded as normal and included in driving / RTD hours. On site it could be classed as in or out depending how you define the access to the site.

Surely keeping the card in while “out of scope” will record as such on the card? Plus if VOSA see out of scope for a long period of time on a download, they’ll be asking the boss lots of questions.

Don’t think I’d want to teat it in court.

You cannot go “Out of Scope” with a driver card inserted. If you are driving Out of Scope and you insert a card, it automatically turns the tachograph back to default.

Unless the truck show is in Tashkent or Bygumistan, you cannot use Out of Scope to get there, you can put it on OOS once you arrive in Peterborough, Assen or Frankfurt.

Similar to the big yellow magic button for ferries, you can only be on ferry setting until you move, then it goes automatically to driving again.

Remy - It’s a working truck thanks

Funnily enough I understand the ferry mode stuff as we have lorries going to Ireland three times a week. One of them got stopped for over half hour while loading the other day and it caused no end of issues.

Thanks everyone. I shall let him know. Wheelnut - I know you’re right about not having a card in when OOS so sorry if I wrote the initial question wrong. My mind was blowing up at the time :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
you can put it on OOS once you arrive in Peterborough, Assen or Frankfurt.

How so?
“Even a short period of driving under EU rules during any day by a driver will mean that they are in scope of the EU rules for the whole of that day and must comply with the daily driving, break and rest requirements; they will also have to comply with the weekly rest requirement and driving limit.”
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours
If you do any EU driving that day, then hours and records rules apply for that day.

Drive to site Friday? Drive OOS Saturday? Drive back to base Sun or Mon morning??
Maaaybeee…If the transport manager can explain the driving recorded on the vehicle Saturday, but not recorded on any driver card. I can`t see it myself.

trevHCS:
This for example driving round your yard is likely out of scope, but an MSA is not.

I think not.
Under GB Domestic Rules, off road driving for some industries, counts as duty time, rather than driving time, but this isn`t so with EU rules.
gov.uk/drivers-hours/gb-domestic-rules

If you are doing normal EU rules driving, you put your card in at start of shift, and take out at shift end.
Everything recorded as driving, countsas driving. No distinction I can see anywhere about being on or off road.

Wheel Nut:
You cannot go “Out of Scope” with a driver card inserted. If you are driving Out of Scope and you insert a card, it automatically turns the tachograph back to default.

Not so with my 2015 Stoneridge tacho. Once on OOS it stays there until taken back “END OUT OF SCOPE?” by the places menu.
Also, although I havent personally done it: "You must record your hours on a weekly record sheet or *on a tachograph*." [gov.uk/drivers-hours/gb-domestic-rules](https://www.gov.uk/drivers-hours/gb-domestic-rules) The Gov site says you can record GB Domestic hrs with your tacho card. So, surely it cant automatically revert to EU rules?

Good Friend:
Unless you can show the DVSA you are exempt from EU rules, you arent exempt. "Common Sense", may say you *should* be exempt, no profit involved, good causes, charities, etc, etc, and maybe if noticed you wouldnt be prosecuted…but…looks to me like your driver is under EU regs.
You full well know Im not "an expert", and aint claiming to be one! Show me where what Ive said is wrong and Ill accept the correction. :smiley:

I suspect the real reason why the question has arisen and is light on detail is probably because the driver has completed a full week under EU and they are hoping to participate in the show by circumventing the EU rules by setting ‘out of scope’. If I am wrong then there is no plausible reason why the driver would not drive under EU rules as normal.

I accept what you say about Stoneridge. I have never used one, they put them in Scania dont they? :stuck_out_tongue:

Seimens Out of Scope Info

I am imagining doing a parade lap around PLboghorror after the drivers have polished their nuts together, it will be the 10 year old daughters who drove the lorry because Dad was too ■■■■■■■

Wheel Nut:
I accept what you say about Stoneridge. I have never used one, they put them in Scania dont they? :stuck_out_tongue:

Seimens Out of Scope Info

I am imagining doing a parade lap around PLboghorror after the drivers have polished their nuts together, it will be the 10 year old daughters who drove the lorry because Dad was too ■■■■■■■

They do, a company I worked for when they bought new 65 plates actually spec’d Siemens tacho’s in them lol

Some DAFs have them as well.

My service garage says that they aren’t as reliable is the VDO/Siemens units. We had one replaced the other week out of a '16 plate and luckily replaced it with a VDO

I think the ‘driving all week and still wanting to go to the show’ may have a ring of truth about it :laughing: :laughing:

Franglais - you’re my kind of expert x