Out of retirement!

HI Guys,

new to the site, heaps to sift through and I can see it takin me years!
I’m hopefully going to be back driving very soon after giving up driving for a few years. However its in my blood and I’m needing back to keep my head right… I have a few concerns though regarding returnin to Europe, mostly;

1 Tolls - Seems there are more toll boxes in cabs than ever now, who uses prepaid boxes and who still uses the old vignette etc?

2 Is there a good site for local public holiday/ driving ban days?

3 Any other helpful hints bearing in mind my absence for 5-6 years.

Cheers Grant

Vignette for Benelux.Be :Belgium NE Netherlands and Luxembourg.
Just google truck driving bans for the country you need and click on the Union Jack sign icon to get it in English.
You can buy a cab tag to use in Italy and France and it is cheaper.
You can get the forms to apply for the tag at the peage toll booth office in France.
In France,no speed trap warning devices in the sat nav.
Still the same night bans in Switzerland and weekend ban in France still sat 22.00 to sun 22.00.
Attestation activity letter if no tacho records for the last 28 days.

toby1234abc:
Vignette for Benelux.Be :Belgium NE Netherlands and Luxembourg.

Used for Denmark and Sweden too.

Thanks guys great help, Germany concerns me, have used the toll collect machines but hoping truck has the box fitted!

The toll machines give back refunds if you have not used the toll road in Germany.
If you were delayed loading/unloading or directed off the toll road for an accident or road closure.
When paying the machine gives enough time for a daily rest period.
With a map or sat nav work out which exit you need and enter the correct one.
They have come down hard on load restraint/security.Fines for no labels on ratchet straps or if they are torn or damaged…
Most of the EE hauliers have trailers with side boards if the load is breakable boxes that can not be strapped.
If doing Portugal;fine/ penalty and surcharge if stay too long over night on their toll roads.The times are on the back of the ticket.
In Germany the toll road can suddenly grind to a halt in seconds with no warning.If in no hurry,come off the autobahn and go cross country.Some great taverns with log fires and Christmas card style villages to park in.Friendly locals.Two litre beer glass.Remember where the truck is parked.

Dont worry about it Grant, I have a friend who retired at 65 , got fed up of being retired and returned to driving. He is at present in Jordan having tipped half his load in Israel and the rest in Jordan tomorrow ,by the way he is 73

Hi viz to be worn when standing in the road for breakdowns.Two warning triangles for breakdowns.
For Spain a spare pair of glasss if wear them.
No bluetooth ear piece in Spain.
If on digital tacho,enter the finishing county in the tacho and the start county for when start again.
The areas are in two letters like NA for Navarra.
MA Malaga.If scroll through the tacho the codes are there.
Only in Spain you have to do this.
Some battery jump cables and spare bulbs is ideal.
Flip flops for the showers.
Ferry mode for a interupted daily rest.
I found the Germans to be very pleasant and helpful.