Out of hours or not

Okay,probably maybe a bit pedantic of me.
Here was the scenario last week.
15 hr spread is fast approaching,which, I informed the company about,at 11am.(This was done because of the run layout.)
Coming closer to the time (16.00) I let him know theres no way Ill take a chance on making it back to depot,so,Ill be parking at the services,half hour ish away from yard.(Make this 45 mins in the daytime with traffic etc.) He says fine,but the message obviously wasnt getting through his thick skull.
So,at 15.32,I ring him and say,my hours are up in 28 mins,do you want to get someone out to take the trailer in (which was loaded),as Im overnighting here. The usual questions of why,and were you delayed etc etc etc. He says Ill get someone to go out in the company van and he can bring the truck in,you bring the van in.I says,not possible,because before you have someone organised to do this,it will be well after 4pm,and Ill still have to drive the COMPANY van back to the yard,so strictly speaking,Im still on duty.To the best of my belief this is correct.
He says,Ill get a taxi to take you back to the yard,which,once again,would be done after 4 pm.Would this still be classed as on duty?Because my car was at the yard,and I would obviously need that to get home and in to work the following morning? I do accept fully that it is nit picking, so dont hark on about that.
However this is one company that insists all rules are adhered to,hours,wtd ,H & S etc., so I reckon they can`t have their cake and eat it.
Comments on a stamp please!

You were right on all accounts, so therefore i’m assuming you nighted out.

Tell him to ring the TC and ask about Skills Coaches and the whole load of ■■■ that they and their drivers ended up neck deep in after doing similar transfers ‘off the clock’.

I did night out Bald Bloke.Sleeping in a lorry never bothered me,unlike some of the girlies in our place.
Madbaz,accepting all you say,the individual I was dealing with would think TC was a smart assed moggy, dodging around New York city,with Officer Dibble behind him.Hasn`t got a clue.The case you talk of however will duly be googled,cut and pasted!
Thanks for the response lads.

If someone is taking the truck back and you travel back in another vehicle the travelling time is counted as other work, as you’d done a 15 hour spread-over you couldn’t legally be recovered regardless of what vehicle your TM supplied.

And let’s face it 15 hrs is long enough.

As I thought Tacho.(Presuming, once it was within the 15 hrs,which it wouldn`t have been)