Out and about this month

Wandering about as i do ,sometimes i can get lucky or unlucky depending on how you look at it for somewhere to stop over. Going into Grimsby docks i have my eye on this patch of land where other trucks park. Its late when i’m going in (6.30pm) so i know i don;t have lots of options for somewhere to go when i am loaded up.

I have a word with the shunter and he tells me not to use the bit of land i spotted as i’ll get a ticket. Infact i can stay onsite, over by the fence. Ok, i’ll chance my arm some more…how about showers, some grub and a drink? No probs, showers are in here you can use them, go out the gate and there’s a small place to get food and a drink.

Exactly what i was hoping for and no parking fee’s to pay. Just a listen to the fishy stories and bobs your uncle !!

Acomplete contrast to the week before when i took my missus (who was having a week off work) on a day run to Wetherby. We went to Thorpe Arch industrial estate, great place, as well as being an Industrial estate its also a retail park, so we spent five hours shopping whilst my container was being tipped. Only thing was, when i rang in to say i was tipped they asked me what the box was like :confused: Its fine is it Mike, ok you have a reload at Southampton. I kid you not. Well not Southampton itself but a place called Stockbridge, just inbetween Andover and Southampton. Ok, i’ll head off to the the Bullington Cross Inn on the A34, free parking for anyone getting a meal. Closed when i got there, shut down ,finished,kaput :blush: After a struggle i find an alleyway in Andover to shove the wagon, not many places to stop around that area, i’ve often been caught out before. Pop into a local pub, it looks like there food is off so i ask where can i get some food, and in typical ‘southerner’ style she says (in a local Andover accent!) “i don’t know i’ve only been here a week”, she doesn’t know how to get into town either, nor does she ask anyone, or anything. I find this typical of Southerners.Next day gets better, we get to our collection at 7.30 am, we only had a single sleeping bag between us, so not a good kip and i told her its illegal to disturb a driver on his rest break :smiley:

Well we sat here from 7.30am until 4pm whilst they loaded it up with them blue steel beams. Needless to say, we don;t talk much anymore :slight_smile:
Mind you, Northeners can be a bit dense too !! The owner of this gaff in Manchester thinks its fine for me to sit like this for a four hour tip, and me being a numpty does just that, well i did hide on the bunk when the tippers and one low loader mounted the kerb to pass me!!

I had the misfortune to have to stop over at Lymm too. It sticks in my craw to stop there, mainly because its so close to home. Its crap food as well, but there is a maccy dee’s. When i got there there was an electric power failure. Shop was closed, toilets etc. Restaurant was on emergency lighting but closed, can i pay parking i asked…no, we can’t take anything, all our systems are down. The bar is open until the larger goes warm and thats it. Ok then, off for a pint !! Well this guy is here laughing at everything thats on the telly !!

One half of the bar is laughing with him as his laugh is infectious!! (as i did) and the other half where grumping on about him being an idiot. And low and behold, who do i have to get next to? Some little fat trucker who gives Northeners a bad name !!..“so, ya sen ya neever peed far parkin?” yeah, they can’t take the money. “ya’ll get dun, my meet got dun, they fine ya £60and then it doubles every time”…is that right? “aye, me meet spent a week oot, and he owes two grand be now”…When was that? “thats me i’m off nite now”. And he followed his hig viz coat and moulded jeans down the stairs !! Mind you, you have to keep ya eye out for them act daft guys, look at these two, you wouldn’t think butter would melt in their mouth. This was an Industrial estate in Worksop.

They just come out of here with some ‘stuff’ hidden in their coats, and when the coast is clear they act like a pair of pensioners on walking sticks with sunglasses to hide their identity!!

This Months question…how easy is it to eat healthy when on the road? Well its well known that English truckers eat tins of beans and are called ‘beans’ or ‘beano’s’. How about the Irish? How do they eat healthily? Well i asked this Irish car transporter driver…

Yep, you guessed…

They eat them raw !!! Personally, i don;t go in for all the carbs. I like to keep a lean physique!! I love energy drinks. And when a young attractive blond girl came knocking on my cab window at Clackett Lane services the first thing i done was check to see how much i had on me !! “you want a Red Bull?”, i thought do i loo like i need one or summat? No thanks. Why, its free you can have it, its a Red Bull. No questions or gimmicks, just take it…

Ok, i’ll have it thanks, you wanna get in the cab? “No!”,…why its free, no gimmicks no strings…and she was off !! I never told her i get the ones Tescos sell for half the price in the same can with the same ingredients!!

Had to go to Norfolk, last week. What a place !!! Bungay , the book place.As usual i spotted my might out place on the way there…

The Horseshoes, on the road between Bungay and Diss. Now if anyone gives you one of them little brain teasers like…a guy’s brother is also his father…don’t start counting out your fingers and working out the relatives and possibilities. The answer is he comes from Diss !!

Down the little roads of Bungay and into the factory. I’m always suspicious of people who live in pink houses and keep pigs in big tins in a field!

Anyway, back at the Horseshoes for the night

Now i just need a victim, i’m not averse to giving my life story to a stranger, just like a lot of truckers do at any goods in or anywhere, i find one !!! Old Arthur…
[sorry about my fingers !]

Yeah mate and i drive containers all over the country

And i used to driver for Tescos and Walkers crisps and B and Q …

And years ago before i was married …

He seemed to enjoy the conversation!! Now is it just me who thinks wierd things like…what would happen if i caught my passenger door on the corner of a skelly? Ok, here’s the answer…

I could go on for ages, got to go now. Can’t wait to see what October brings !!

Classic mate…absolute classic… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Mike, What can I say that hasn’t already been said about your diaries…? errr, nowt.

:grimacing: So I’ll have to use some words I’ve used before… Brilliant and very funny as usual. :smiley:

Great read as always Mike

i was once in rugby truckstop and there was an old boy who kept bursting into song for no reason i thought it was hilarious but there was a lot that didnt
example
till tart] wot you want
old boy] cup of tea [sings] then orders his dinner[sings]
then keeps bursting into song while his waiting
quality :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

thanks a intresting read and nice pictures,

Mike-C:

Well secured load, indeed…

I thought that was parked up at first.

Would not that be classed as unsafe :question:

HomoFaber:

Mike-C:

Well secured load, indeed…

:laughing: Dunno bout well secured, but id like to watch them being loaded…the bottom ones look easy…do they use a big ramp at speed for the ones at the front on top :question: :laughing:

:sunglasses: Great diary again Mike.

Mike did u used to have a rather nice red car ?

Frightens me just looking at the photo of them cars :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Steady on the corners :unamused:
Thats one way to get rid of that Merc thats been giving you all that hassle :laughing:

Nice one Mike

…and a good nomination for first bent “58”

Cheers
TC

top laugh as ever :laughing:

great diary mike, was it any of the lads who i know who smashed up the merc?? am driving the black forest scania again now, had the topline taken off me for 1 reason or another ! :frowning:

tobytyke:
Mike did u used to have a rather nice red car ?

Ha d a red Mondeo about 4 years ago, i wouldn’t describe it as nice thougth !!

mark h:
was it any of the lads who i know who smashed up the merc??

Keith it was Mark, not sure if you know him?

keith williams by any chance ■■

mark h:

:wink: Thats the one !!! They are doing work on the grid on the corner as you come out our yard and there is big concrete bollards been placed there and someone left a skelly right opposite where you have to screw round. No lights about and hey presto !!

Mike-C:

mark h:

:wink: Thats the one !!! They are doing work on the grid on the corner as you come out our yard and there is big concrete bollards been placed there and someone left a skelly right opposite where you have to screw round. No lights about and hey presto !!

o dear o dear, wait until i speak to keith ! !

so tha was the reason i saw him in a daf yesterday, wa did the office have to say?

:laughing: as usual very good Mike_C . Especially the old dude sleeping at your life story :wink:

I go to Clays at bungay quite a bit, i’ll tell them how you tried makin them famous via the internet, i’m sure they’ll line the streets waving their pitch forks to greet you next time you ride into town! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: