Our Volvo FMs down on power -reason found

Hi there .
Hope this post helps someone if not many out there. Our FM 9 & FM13 Tipper Grabs were both down on power and the FM 9 was very nearly gutless and getting worse, we wondered if it was diesel pump or injectors or turbo which was the problem and would be a very expensive problem!

Well our new fitter found the problem nearly straight away ,the fuel draw pipe in the fuel tank has a 12 inch long thin gauze filter and this on both Volvos was blocked badly on the FM 13 but the FM9 was unbeliveably bad blocked solid and must have been ready for a breakdown on the road at anytime ,how the engine actually ran was a miracle not an ounce of daylight could be seen through it and the pump must of been sucking its heart out to draw any fuel but however a quick blow out and wash in brake cleaner and the lorries run a treat !

Apparantly according to our fitter the set up is on nearly all Volvo FMs and the cause is the additives they now put in the bio-diesel nowadays which can and as we now know makes bacteria and its this that blocks these vunerable thin fuel tubes with a sort of rubbery oily black gunk !

So if your are scratching your head as to why your Volvo FM is running rough and down on power this could well be the problem and well worth a check before going onto more expensive search !

Hope this helps someone ?

Eu legislation requires all road fuel to contain 7% biodiesel, and it is absolutely vile stuff, Luckily enough, red diesel, which is what I use, is exempt from this requirement because biodiesel also rots seals in injector pumps in older engines. Hopefully when we are out of the eu we can get rid of this nonsense.

You would have thought these new fangled trucks would be able to detect fuel starvation at the pump

Tricky Dicky:
the pump must of been sucking its heart out

Really? May I make use of this pump for a few moments? :laughing:

Very common problem Volvo’s are prone especially if you use your own fuel,pump fuel isn’t as prone due to additives,not found in bulk fuel. A lot of trucks since the introduction of bio-diesel, the blocking of the stack pipe with diesel fungus, it’s a bacterial growth, found in bulk tanks, then it gets into the truck tank.
Best described here.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbi … iesel_fuel

Harry Monk:
Eu legislation requires all road fuel to contain 7% biodiesel, and it is absolutely vile stuff, Luckily enough, red diesel, which is what I use, is exempt from this requirement because biodiesel also rots seals in injector pumps in older engines. Hopefully when we are out of the eu we can get rid of this nonsense.

I was told it depends on the demand for red in the area the refinery supplies, high demand and the refinery produces proper red, and low demand areas get road fuel with red dye.
Don’t know how true it is, or whether I was being spun one!

Yes pig pen is absolutely right. I got a letter some years ago when this came into effect. I could not find that letter but this is out of a SMMT letter (link to full letter below) :-

Effects on Machines
Sulphur-free red diesel with up to 7% FAME is compatible with existing engine technologies providing the
fuel is kept in good condition. However, as FAME acts as a solvent and can degrade some rubber
components found in older machines and fuel storage systems, the following is recommended:
• Examine fuel systems following the switch to the new fuel and ensure that any seals or pipes found
to be leaking are replaced.
• If any older machinery is being serviced, replace fuel seals and pipes as a precaution.
• Replace fuel filters after the first 2 to 3 tank fills of the new fuel.

smmt.co.uk/wp-content/uploa … 261110.pdf

FAME is fatty acid methyl ester , techno for biodiesel

So, sorry harrymonk unless you are lucky enough to get it from a supplier that makes sure they get the non-biocide stuff you had better keep an eye on those seals :slight_smile:

We use red diesel primarily for foklifts and generators, but also for some large space heaters, which stand unused for the summer and the gunk that grows in them sometimes is unreal. We have found that storing them full of clean fuel with biocide added seems to keep it all fresh.

manski:
So, sorry harrymonk unless you are lucky enough to get it from a supplier that makes sure they get the non-biocide stuff you had better keep an eye on those seals :slight_smile:

You can tell the difference when it is going into the tank, FAME-free diesel foams a lot more.

Harry Monk:
You can tell the difference when it is going into the tank, FAME-free diesel foams a lot more.

That’s interesting, I did not know that, will have to try and work out what we have then. I will ask the supplier as well.