Our Mental Health

robroy:
[

I read stuff and you would think that some were writing in their own private diary, some even implicating themselves in illegal activity…,.I think to myself ‘‘Ffs do these clowns not realise that everyone can read this stuff’’ :open_mouth:

On the other side you get a lot of attention seeking and looking for sympathy on there that I really could not be arsed with.
If people on there are depressed the last thing they need is false pseudo concern and sympathy, it can only make them worse wallowing in it all imo,.what they need instead is help from professionals to prevent the likes of the tragic example you mention concerning that poor little girl.
As for a depressed drivers mental health FB group…I’ve not looked at it, but is it really a good idea?
One for the reason I’ve pointed out,.and two if the wrong, (or right whichever way you look at it) people see it and you end up losing your job.

Yes, I do agree, FB is frequently a pit of questionable excrement, I use it more to talk TM type stuff with other ETMs (people like Acorn), stuff that would usually be too tedious and too out of place for TN.

Re the mental health group, again, yes, I agree, lots of wallowing, lots of oversharing that is being read by god knows who. Not really my cup of tea and as they say “misery loves company” and again as you say it’s not genuine concern, it’s just “internet hugs”, for those that need this kind of thing it could make a positive difference, I suppose, I don’t know.

I do know my way of dealing with life’s problems is probably considered a bit too harsh for the modern world; someone I know was upset over a failed relationship, I gave them a link to a song on Youtube that had been a “lightbulb moment” for me once a very long time ago, and it cheered me up no end, and was in fact the beginning of me sorting my whinging self out. But, it didn’t quite work for them and they didn’t appreciate my suggestion, so afterwards considered me to be a bit of a (insert expletive of choice). However, that same song still cheers me up even now, almost 30 years after I discovered it, and it’s my antidote to feeling down :smiley:
youtube.com/watch?v=RrKKt6NprVM

In defence of social media the little online world I’ve built up was in no small part so important in regaining my mental health after the accident. People did seem to genuinely care and it helped, helped me realise I’m not the total moron I’ve always thought I was. Still a moron, just not as much of one

Often I think it’s not the ones who talk about how bad things are or how they’re struggling who struggle most. In my experience, not least personally the last thing we’d ever do is tell people. I mean look at my example, it’s taken me years to talk about this online, this was all news to my followers. People in serious mental health problems become highly skilled at acting so they can function without anyone realising. It’s exactly what I did. It’s why my channel was so rarely used in 5 years up to accident, I wasn’t confident I could put on an act and really really didn’t want anyone to know I was in trouble.

I’m another one who avoids FB like the plague.

Surely people must realise these days that if you apply for a job there’s a good possibility someone might search online for the applicant, and a whole history of some people’s lives is there for all to see.

I’ve heard of people going for interviews for white-collar type jobs where they are asked for their FB or other social media name so the potential employer can check them out.

Zac_A:
I do know my way of dealing with life’s problems is probably considered a bit too harsh for the modern world; someone I know was upset over a failed relationship, I gave them a link to a song on Youtube that had been a “lightbulb moment” for me once a very long time ago, and it cheered me up no end, and was in fact the beginning of me sorting my whinging self out. But, it didn’t quite work for them and they didn’t appreciate my suggestion, so afterwards considered me to be a bit of a (insert expletive of choice). However, that same song still cheers me up even now, almost 30 years after I discovered it, and it’s my antidote to feeling down
youtube.com/watch?v=RrKKt6NprVM

Fan though I am of Zappa, I think a listener would have to already be in a receptive(?) mood before benefiting from that particular track!

Around June - August 2021 I was slowly beginning to spiral into a depresive state. I wouldnt say I was depressed but I was heading that way. Wasnt sleeping, wasnt exercising, put on weight , was grumpy at home, grumpy at work. I was just not right.

I had a baby boy at home, a loving wife, new house , new car but I was just fed up with the job and everything to do with it had become all encompassing on my life.

Then September 2021 I had 2 weeks of feeling extremely unwell. I had no energy, I had swollen gums (living on Pain Killers) , cuts wouldnt heal. Even went to the rugby on a friday and literally glazed over when usually im pretty happy there.

So long story short. Trip to a walk in centre, pointed towards and A&E , bloods test after blood test…I get the news.

I have Accute Myloid Leukaemia. Im 31 at that time. During the pandemic, so I couldnt see my wife and child for at least 2 weeks every month due to having no immune system.

But its not all doom and gloom.

I begin chemo treatment about a week later. 4 rounds of chemo (lots of stories to tell about that) but come out the other end in February with "Complete Molecular Remission "

My entire mindset changed in that moment I was diagnosed. My mindset went to completely possitive, nothing in world seemed like it would get me down.

I got myself fit enough to return to work on a phased return around May/June this year. Im back full time now. In the same job as I was before, tramping up n down the country.

Ive not suffered much mental health issues since the diagnosis, ive had a few “why me” moments and lip wobbles, but Ive come out the other end feeling better.

I look forward now to seeing my boy ,whose now 2 1/2, and wife at the weekends. I take the job as it is, if stuff starts happening thats out of my control, not my problem. My job is to keep the truck on them black rubber things that go round.

Still a way to go on treatment. I was still in Remission after my latest bone marrow test. But I had another yesterday, so hopefully a bit of good news before Christmas [emoji319] [emoji1695]

Hug your loved ones folks.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

P.s Luke. I watched your videos back in the day. It was one of the many driving forces behind me actually getting my license. Its also in the blood (the driving ) but my Consultant said something similar [emoji28]

I went back and watched a few when I was in hospital. It put a smile on my face. All the very best for the future ONWARDS!!!

I cannot see any positives in facebook at all. A lot of truth in people especially certain future employers searching your profile.
The job I was in before driving actually had a company Psychiatrist who would be on the look out for any signs of stress or anxiety.
I can only assume facebook would be like a gift to them.
I cannot see the sense in putting your problems on facebook for all and sundry to read… Certainly I would advocate talking face to face with someone or any heallth professional.
Years ago when I was at school I recall my old Latin teacher had a breakdown in front of us all, nothing was said to us but we never saw him again. It is this type of threat of losing your job that prevents people from opening up if they are feeling stressed to start with. It then festers into depression and sometimes ending in suicide. Companies like to look like that they are looking out for the mental health and well being of their staff but the harsh reality of the matter is that there is a darker ulterior motive at work. Hence facebook is not the best of places to air your laundry.