Ouch

indeed.co.uk/viewjob?from=ap … d2026bd156

Ouch indeed… pun intended. 10 quid an hour for shelf stacking maybe, not for an adr driver. Come to think of it, not for any driver of anything bigger than a car.

Looking at the company web site, it sounds like it’ll be just general deliveries likely pallets and IBCs rather than tankers or real nasties. ADR for stuff like they mention won’t pay more than general haulage in my experience so days £10 is about normal.

Not sure why they need 5 years experience and experienced chemical driver unless theres a lot more to it than the web site suggests.

That’s not an unusual rate for this area.

£10 per hour and guaranteed 10 hours per day when home

I don’t understand this part…Does it mean when you’re not on a shift and they can’t get you work you still get say 8 hrs @ £10 p.h. and then when you’re on a shift you get 10 hrs paid no matter what (at I suppose more than £10) with £14 being an OT/weekend rate?

I read it as saying they’d pay you for 10 hours at £10 an hour even on days when you had a shorter “day run” (with no Night Out money to boost your pay). The £14 rate would appear to apply on weekends (or maybe only on Sunday).

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

albion:

Agreed, I’ve done a fair bit of ADR work for companies around Widnes and this is actually quite a competitive rate unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My ADR cost £500 for 5 years.
This works out at less than £2 per week.
How much extra do people expect to earn from that investment?
Nothing wrong with that advert, average wage and higher night out money than most

idrive:
Nothing wrong with that advert, average wage and higher night out money than most

That’s a very simplified way to look at it.
The extra pay that ADR drivers get is due to the extra responsibility, training and RISK that they take by hauling ADR goods.

adam277:

idrive:

The extra pay that ADR drivers get is due to the extra responsibility, training and RISK that they take by hauling ADR goods.

What extra risk (no capitals)? Surely the whole point of ADR qualification is that you have the knowledge (of the rules etc) to allow you to haul such loads without exposing yourself (and the Great Unwashed) to additional risk?

I wonder who can afford to work for these kind of wages?

48 hour week averaged over a reference period, even if you get paid the whole 48 hours - is an average gross pay of £480 per week.

That’s a takehome of about £390 for most people. Not gonna be paying much of any rent or mortgage payment with THAT are ya?

You’ll be needing a “Missus out at work as well” I would have thought.

Roymondo:

adam277:

idrive:

What extra risk (no capitals)? Surely the whole point of ADR qualification is that you have the knowledge (of the rules etc) to allow you to haul such loads without exposing yourself (and the Great Unwashed) to additional risk?

Even with the extra knowledge and training that comes with the qualification, you are going to be at a higher level of risk simply due to the nature of what you’re carrying. Then there’s the added risk during loading and unloading.
The risk that goes along with ADR work is the reason why the qualification is necessary, so not just any numpty can carry hazardous products.

Winseer:

48 hour week averaged over a reference period, even if you get paid the whole 48 hours - is an average gross pay of £480 per week.

That’s a takehome of about £390 for most people. Not gonna be paying much of any rent or mortgage payment with THAT are ya?

Likelihood is they’re after someone to do closer to 60 hours a week. Still works out as crap money, but needs must for some people.
And as for the missus having to go out and work, I think that applies to most families in the younger generations. I drive fuel tankers, my missus works for the police. Between us we earn approx £70k p/a, but by the time we’ve paid a mortgage, childcare, bills etc there isn’t exactly a lot of money left in the pot.

CookieMonster:

Roymondo:

adam277:

idrive:

Even with the extra knowledge and training that comes with the qualification, you are going to be at a higher level of risk simply due to the nature of what you’re carrying. Then there’s the added risk during loading and unloading.
The risk that goes along with ADR work is the reason why the qualification is necessary, so not just any numpty can carry hazardous products.

The training is pretty much a joke.
A week in a classroom, could probably be reduced to two days if you remove all the trainer’s ■■■ breaks and drivers waffle and YouTube videos. Followed by a test where the examiner comes round and tells you the answers it’s virtually impossible to fail.
It’s a bit like saying the driving test teaches you how to drive, or the CPC makes you a professional.
The real training will be given in-house for the better paying jobs where you deal with actual nasty stuff and risk

CookieMonster:

Winseer:

Likelihood is they’re after someone to do closer to 60 hours a week. Still works out as crap money, but needs must for some people.
And as for the missus having to go out and work, I think that applies to most families in the younger generations. I drive fuel tankers, my missus works for the police. Between us we earn approx £70k p/a, but by the time we’ve paid a mortgage, childcare, bills etc there isn’t exactly a lot of money left in the pot.

Don’t worry pal, this guy likes to remind everyone that he earns mega agency money for a life of Riley whenever he can.
Forgets that some people have no choice and have to take what they can get, and some people even live up north

idrive:

CookieMonster:

Roymondo:

adam277:

idrive:

The training is pretty much a joke.
A week in a classroom, could probably be reduced to two days if you remove all the trainer’s ■■■ breaks and drivers waffle and YouTube videos. Followed by a test where the examiner comes round and tells you the answers it’s virtually impossible to fail.
It’s a bit like saying the driving test teaches you how to drive, or the CPC makes you a professional.
The real training will be given in-house for the better paying jobs where you deal with actual nasty stuff and risk

The training is good for the basics but not much else, I agree on that. I would say that job specific training tends to be pretty poor. Companies I’ve worked for have shown the basics of how to do the job, but hardly anything about the products, their hazards or how to even transport them correctly.
I can think of several times I had to find out for myself if and how to segregate products, if tanker loads were compatible etc.

albion:

Behave Tesco and Stobarts ports both pay more and their wages are low!