Other work and driving hours

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I have a question about other work and driving hours. Here goes, I have been told that other work does not count in your driving time. This is an important issue for me as I do multi-drops on class II’s so, For example a typic day may consist of 20 drops, say

I hour drive 20mins drop 30 mins drive 10 mins drop 2hr drive 25 min drop 1hour drive BREAK 45 mins

Using this as an example my current information states that I would need to take a break where shown even though I have been working for almost 5.5 hours.

Is this the case, thanks :smiley:

Welcome :slight_smile:

linconjackson:
I have been told that other work does not count in your driving time.

This is correct.

Driving and Other Work are two separate modes on a tacho for a reason.

When working out your driving time it is only the time that the vehicle wheels are moving. Other Work is anything else you are doing within your work.

linconjackson:
I hour drive 20mins drop 30 mins drive 10 mins drop 2hr drive 25 min drop 1hour drive BREAK 45 mins

Using this as an example my current information states that I would need to take a break where shown even though I have been working for almost 5.5 hours.

You need to take a 30 minute break every six hours of work, which includes driving or other work but not POA.

After 4.5 hrs driving you need a 45m break. If you have managed to get it right you can combine your WTD break (the 6hr duty one) and your driving break. Although from the info above, how do you fit 20 drops in that schedule a day :slight_smile:

Dented:
You need to take a 15 minute break every six hours of work, which includes driving or other work but not POA.

After 4.5 hrs driving you need a 45m break. If you have managed to get it right you can combine your WTD break (the 6hr duty one) and your driving break. Although from the info above, how do you fit 20 drops in that schedule a day :slight_smile:

FTFY. You’re welcome. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

linconjackson:

Yes, it’s the case.

Yeh, I couldn’t be bothered to list the entire day it was just an example, thanks for the advice. :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

Dented:
You need to take a 15 minute break every six hours of work, which includes driving or other work but not POA.

FTFY. You’re welcome. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hang on, does this mean I’ve got the regulations wrong again!?! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :imp:

Bugger :cry:

I do it like this i do 2 drops and i have no idea what length they Will be. Say i start at 7 and i drove for 2 hours with some other work mixed in. i Will take 15mins. Then its back to the depot driving another 2 hours or under. i Will have clocked up about 5 hours in total. I Will take the other 30 mins as i know that my second run should be done before hour 9 but i think i have nailed both the drive break and the wt break together. But now coffeeholic has confused me. Should i be taking 15 or 30 at hour 6

■■■■■■00:
But now coffeeholic has confused me. Should i be taking 15 or 30 at hour 6

Take whatever you like before exceeding 6 hours work but the minimum to meet the requirements of the WTD is 15 minutes, not 30.

For ages I thought it was 30 minutes in a 6 hour period and everyone I have spoken with about it has not clarified it, but I have checked and you are correct; 15 minutes. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Dented:

linconjackson:

You need to take a 30 minute break every six hours of work, which includes driving or other work but not POA.

I thought you took at least 15 mins for 6 hours work, 30mins for 6-9 hours work and 45mins for over 9 hours work under the WTD. Then obviously 45mins per 4.5hours of driving time. Also, if within the 6 hours you exceed 4.5 hours driving time you need a 45 irrespective of working time.

I think I have that all the right way around… :laughing:

rog…ROG…you there matey???l :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Truckulent:
I thought you took at least 15 mins for 6 hours work

No break required for less than 6 hours work, 15 minutes before exceeding 6 hours.

Truckulent:
30mins for 6-9 hours work

Correct, which can be taken in 2x15 minutes if you wish. If you are going to have more than 9 hours work then no need to take the second part between 6 and 9 hours. You can wait until you reach another 6 hours of work or before the end of your shift, whichever comes first.

Truckulent:
and 45mins for over 9 hours work

Correct, which can be in 2 or 3 parts of not less than 15 minutes. Don’t exceed more than 6 hours work at any point and take all the required break before the end of the shift.

Truckulent:
Then obviously 45mins per 4.5hours of driving time. Also, if within the 6 hours you exceed 4.5 hours driving time you need a 45 irrespective of working time.

Indeed.

Truckulent:
I think I have that all the right way around… :laughing:

You most certainly do.

Note that it is 6 hours of work, not duty time so you could have say a 9 hour shift with 4 hours 15 minutes driving, 1 hour 30 minutes other work and 3 hours 15 minutes POA and you wouldn’t require any break at all for either set of regulations. My current shifts are between 8.5 and 9 hours made up of 3.5 - around 4 hours driving 30 - 40 minutes other work and the rest is POA. I haven’t booked so much as a minutes break for nearly 6 months.

It seems as though anyone who has completed 35 hours of training through a JAUPT scheme is taking 30 minute breaks whereas the rest of us old ■■■■■ who haven’t done it yet are only taking 15 minute breaks.

Those DCPC trainers cannot be wrong can they?

Tongue in cheek posting by a cynic

Wheel Nut:
It seems as though anyone who has completed 35 hours of training through a JAUPT scheme is taking 30 minute breaks whereas the rest of us old ■■■■■ who haven’t done it yet are only taking 15 minute breaks.

Those DCPC trainers cannot be wrong can they?

There are still strong pockets of resistance that we need to crush like the cockroaches they are. Maybe I need to dust of my Churchillian inspired rallying call from a while back.

Never in the field of Internet Forums and WTD legislation, was so much owed by so many to so few. All hearts go out to those who understand it is 15 minutes, whose brilliant actions we see with our own eyes day after day, but we must never forget that all the time, night after night, month after month, our 15-minute squadrons travel far into the web, find their targets in the darkness by the highest navigational skill (Sat Nav optional), aim their attacks, often under the heaviest BS, often with serious head banging against the wall, with deliberate, careful precision, and inflict shattering blows upon the whole of the technical and manure spreading structure of the, “You must have 30 minutes”, DCPC Trainer power, the Stormtroopers of the 3rd Right TM’s and The Waffle-SS.
On no part of the WTD does the weight of the war fall more heavily than on those who understand, “It’s 15 minutes, not 30”, who will play an invaluable part in the case of invasion and whose unflinching zeal it has been necessary in the meanwhile on numerous occasions to restrain. I have no hesitation in saying that the process of refuting the industries and communications of DCPC Trainers and the classrooms and JAUPT facilities from which we are attacked, which will continue on an ever-increasing scale until the end of the war and may in another year attain dimensions hitherto undreamed of, assure one at least of the most certain, if not the shortest, of all the roads to victory. Even if the JAUPT legions stood triumphant on the M25 or indeed upon the M1, even if DCPC Trainers were at the gates of our depot, it would profit them nothing if at the same time the entire economic and credible apparatus of DCPC power lay shattered and pulverised at home.

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:
Never in the field of Internet Forums and WTD legislation, was so much owed by so many to so few. All hearts go out to those who understand it is 15 minutes, whose brilliant actions we see with our own eyes day after day, but we must never forget that all the time, night after night, month after month, our 15-minute squadrons travel far into the web, find their targets in the darkness by the highest navigational skill (Sat Nav optional), aim their attacks, often under the heaviest BS, often with serious head banging against the wall, with deliberate, careful precision, and inflict shattering blows upon the whole of the technical and manure spreading structure of the, “You must have 30 minutes”, DCPC Trainer power, the Stormtroopers of the 3rd Right TM’s and The Waffle-SS.
On no part of the WTD does the weight of the war fall more heavily than on those who understand, “It’s 15 minutes, not 30”, who will play an invaluable part in the case of invasion and whose unflinching zeal it has been necessary in the meanwhile on numerous occasions to restrain. I have no hesitation in saying that the process of refuting the industries and communications of DCPC Trainers and the classrooms and JAUPT facilities from which we are attacked, which will continue on an ever-increasing scale until the end of the war and may in another year attain dimensions hitherto undreamed of, assure one at least of the most certain, if not the shortest, of all the roads to victory. Even if the JAUPT legions stood triumphant on the M25 or indeed upon the M1, even if DCPC Trainers were at the gates of our depot, it would profit them nothing if at the same time the entire economic and credible apparatus of DCPC power lay shattered and pulverised at home.

:laughing: :smiley: :smiley:

Thank you Coffeeholic :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing:

on another Transportfriendly site i stumbled on, it states (talking about daily rest periods) ‘Driving+Other work+Breaks = 13 hours’ leaving ‘Daily Rest period = 11 hours’

I thought Breaks didnt count toward the WTD?

wheelyb:
on another Transportfriendly site i stumbled on, it states (talking about daily rest periods) ‘Driving+Other work+Breaks = 13 hours’ leaving ‘Daily Rest period = 11 hours’

It looks like someone is trying to explain how to work out the daily rest period of 11 hours, nothing to do with the WTD :wink:

wheelyb:

That’s for the EU Driver’s Hours regulations, nothing to do with the WTD. Breaks do not count toward the WTD working time but they are part of your ‘duty time’ time or ‘spreadover’ and if you want to take an 11 hour rest period you cannot have more than 13 hours between the start and end of your shift.

That website isn’t quite correct, it should say ‘Driving+Other work+Breaks+POA = 13 hours’ leaving ‘Daily Rest period = 11 hours’