OT - Licences

OT but someone will know?

A friend has asked me a question I cannot answer. He has just passed his car driving test but his licence apparently will not allow him to pull a caravan, has he got this right?
Assuming he has, then what test must he now take that will allow him to pull said caravan? Surely not a HGV test?

It’s the BE test he needs to do:

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022521

Thanks
I will email your link to him.

Speck:
A friend has asked me a question I cannot answer. He has just passed his car driving test but his licence apparently will not allow him to pull a caravan, has he got this right?

Yes and No. He’ll have category B (cars) but not B+E (cars with trailers), so on the face of it it appears that he cannot tow any trailer. However this is not actually true.

Category B, which your friend will have, allows the following:

The DVLA:
Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

This is clarified, with some examples, on this page, and in summary it means you can tow almost all caravans up to about 14 or 15’ long without needing B+E, for example a typical 14’ van might have a MAM of 1100kg so as long we the kerb weight of his car is above 1100kg and the MAM of his car isn’t over 2400kg he can legally tow it, which will cover just about anything from about an astra/focus up to a small 4x4.

Hopefully this helps, if not feel free to ask again.

Paul