orwell A14

A long weekend at Orwell over Easter not my idea turned up at 8.40 Thursday night parked up, had myself a shower and went to the bar for a refresher. There was a band playing so sat at the bar after a while got talking to some local gals who come in for the music. Anyway early start so early night, next morning back for an omelette and beans, get some cash from the (free) ATM ready to start and nothing no battery and yet I got lights. Long story short thanks for the help to Chris and Thomas of IRF drivers Paul security at Orwell and Keith who has just finished fitting a new starter motor. A rotten weekend but made bearable by the staff and security at Orwell they even recorded football for me to watch Sunday afternoon. By the way that 32oz steak was fantastic I won’t be able to eat for a week I’m still full. :smiley:

orwell truck stop is very good indeed.
£12.00 for overnight stay which includes a shower and £3.00 of your meal.

the food is very good and plenty.
the showers are spotless.
the restraunt is open 24hrs.
there is a bar. and there is bands on sometimes.

the first time i stopped there i had roast chicken what i didn’t know was it was half a chicken there was no way i could eat it all.
there is cctv

Didn’t the local council try to close them down a few months ago…?

dont know but i was there last week and everything seemed ok.

Best truckstop in the uk, I reckon

The showers are worth stopping off for however the breakfast food is sat about too long for my liking and I promise if they cooked everything fresh and didnt serve eggs that look like there out of a joke shop ie hard and rubbery then yes its up to scratch, £12 is too dear too, thats why I went to Mcidees for breakfast and now they have gone, shame!

The shower’s are the best i’ve found :laughing: :laughing: wish more truckstop’s had shower’s like that :stuck_out_tongue:

in a country where we all seem too get treated pretty much as 3rd rate citizens, i think orwell is a breath of fresh air.
the msa’s should all go there, too see how it should really be done.
good truckstops, are getting real hard too find in the uk, so, i think this one is a gem.

I agree, it is a great truckstop. You can have coffee and get another to take away, so that by the time you get to the docks, you have a coffee already.

if you infact make it too the docks, of late :smiley:

harry:
Didn’t the local council try to close them down a few months ago…?

yes, they were upset that members of the public use the cafe on Sundays for their roast dinners. The excuse was that cars exiting truck park on slip road onto A14 was dangerous, funny they weren’t worried when McDonalds occupied the site! They tried several times to restrict cafe, and close it, but at last it went to court and the councill lost, thank god ( i am sure my brother Euromat posted something todo with this ruling on a forum on this site). The cafe is great, it doesn’t feel like a transport cafe when you walk in, too posh! I popped in there today, and glad to see a load of cars visiting, keeping the place going. Incidentally this is where the ‘Crowfield Truck Show’ will be held this year, in support of the East Coast Truckers charity.

top stop off stayed there for crowfield rally it was top doller in side pitty about weather out side

Superb site.
Superb owners.
Food a little too rich for me.

One of the best places in the UK unfortunately. I haven’t been in there for 6mths or so but seem to remember parking had gone up to £15.
The parking is all floodlit, hard standing and lined out.
The showers are great, proper showers, not those electric things, plenty of room.
Restaurant/cafe isn’t too bad. Plenty of food on the plate although bland, veg tends to be a bit over done (stewed) but your certainly not going to be left hungry.
Several main courses on offer as well as various sweets, puddings, ice cream, etc.
They have entertainment but is geared up manly for the civilian and not the trucker. It doesn’t kick off till 21.00hrs so if you’ve an early start you’ve paid for something your not going to get. You don’t have to pay extra for the entertainment but considering the truckstop pays the entertainers, it’s got to come from somewhere. Big wide screen TV for footi nights. The bar has about 7 different on draft, trendy half bottles, shorts…

All in all it’s well worth a visit. Good scrub, grub and a few pints. What more do you need.

magpie666:

the first time i stopped there i had roast chicken what i didn’t know was it was half a chicken there was no way i could eat it all.
there is cctv

I have used it many times they have tryed to base it on a european truck stop but the food costs an arm and a leg. AND AT HOLIDAY TIMES LIKE XMAS GETING A TABLE TO EAT AT IS HARD BECAUSE IT’S BOOKED BY PARTY’S

president:

magpie666:

there is cctv

I have used it many times they have tryed to base it on a european truck stop but the food costs an arm and a leg. AND AT HOLIDAY TIMES LIKE XMAS GETING A TABLE TO EAT AT IS HARD BECAUSE IT’S BOOKED BY PARTY’S

I think it’s something to do with their license. They have to serve the civilians or something or lose their license. A bit outrageous I think, considering Felixtowe would become a ghost town if truckers stopped going there. Having a big port is useless if nobody is taking the goods away and if it was all left for the rail system, most of the stuff would have rusted or rotted by the time it got shifted.
Felixstow is a bit like Tilbury in that regard, load up and f/o, we don’t want you here.

[quote=", £12 is too dear too, ![/quote]
:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

mezzzz1211:
[quote=", £12 is too dear too, !

[/quote]
not for the owner he wants more of your cash to park + he thinks were pocketing the night out money that is to pay for his [zb] parking :imp:

scotstrucker:

mezzzz1211:
£12 is too dear too, !

not for the owner he wants more of your cash to park + he thinks were pocketing the night out money that is to pay for his [zb] parking :imp:

It’s £14 now.

And your night out money is for you, not for parking. Parking charges should be reimbursed by your employer.

chilistrucker:
in a country where we all seem too get treated pretty much as 3rd rate citizens, i think orwell is a breath of fresh air.
the msa’s should all go there, too see how it should really be done.
good truckstops, are getting real hard too find in the uk, so, i think this one is a gem.

totally agree with you on that one,great place to stop