Option for Euro Continental work

Hi folks. Im looking to start heading further afield into europe and or middle east. Ive been Driving heavy haulage for nearly 7 years thanks to her Majestys Forces (Engineers). Anyway im in full time employment at the moment but am thinking of going it alone.
Most of the routes ive travelled are across to germany but i have driven from Kuwait to many middle eastern locations (some under hostile conditions). Im looking for any hauliers or sub contractors who make trips abroad on regular routes and i am volunteering myself as a second man or driver for non profit to familiarise myself with the major routes. I have a digi card and checkable background. Im also a Heavy Engineer with Caterpillar most of my work is with power systems mostly heavy diesel so i know a fair bit about tractor units. Im based up in Scotland but can travel within the country if there is anyone willing to take me up on the offer. Pylease give me a shout you can get me on my mob 07531786970 or my e-mail kemptransport@hotmail.co.uk
Cheers folks would be grateful for any help.

brian apart from your army time how long have you driven
since you left the forces also what type of trucks and where
would be a help for any possible employer, do you know
your way around CMR,s CEMT, etc, what knowledge of the roads abroad do you have,To sell yourself to any potential employer
they will wish to know what you can do ,be it driveing, lashing a load,paperwork, second language,etc, driveing in the forces and
driveing in Civvy street are two complete different ways of
life,If you are thinking of becomeing a O/D do you have all ready the CPC in national and International for outside the UK,if not these are required unless you employ a holder of the cpc,s to work for you
do not offer to work for nothing, try instead to find a firm that goes abroad and will give you a chance, if your knowledge is not great
start reading through the euro stickys, and also through this
site,lots of people have posted information that will help
go also to one of the good bookshops mentioned in any of the trucking mag,s and look through and pick out books to read
talk to other drivers yes some of us exaggerate,but you will be able after a while to sort the Wheat from the Chaff,
The job is filled today with more stress,but less paperwork,
you will need to learn about driveing bans in those countrys that have them, pay attention to the rules as the fines can be very high
but apart from that once you get going you will either love it
takeing each day as it comes with the up,s and down,s
or hate it that much you will leave and just drive in the UK;
ALL THE BEST AND HOPEFULLY SOME ONE ELSE WILL POST THEIR OWN VIEW NOW;

Hi there thanks mate for the advice. Im glad you brought a couple of points up. If im not in the work shop im doing container work with John Mitchells or Duncan Adams in Grangemouth as you know this can be a bit boring with only short runs to mostly around Scotland so i would like to stretch my legs a bit see what else is out there. I totally see your point about Army drivers and civvy drivers there are two differnt breeds however some of the experiance i have gained you would be hard pushed to get with a normal haulier.
As for wagons most of the work was done with Oshkosh HETs but there was a large civillian fleet of Seddon Atkinsons and Fodens only recently replaced in the last five years by more modern DAFs and Volvos.
Ive got the paperwork now for operator licence so im going to take time to go through it and you can bet i will be back on here to ask quistions. As for the euro work its not going to be the mainstay of running my own wagon but as you know its best to keep as many options open. You never know short stop container work might be the way ahead.
If there is anyone else out there with different veiws feel free to add a comment or have a rant its seeing the problem from all angles that normally promts a soloution. :laughing:

I dunno how far you are prepared to travel, but for ME work, astran-cargo.com/ is probably your best bet.

Harry Monk:
I dunno how far you are prepared to travel, but for ME work, astran-cargo.com/ is probably your best bet.

Are there UK companies still doing M/E then Harry?
I would have thought a UK truck in the M/E would be a bit like waving a red rag at a bull, what with the anti-west sentiment and all. Getting taken hostage or just topped on the spot.

berewic:

Harry Monk:

Are there UK companies still doing M/E then Harry?
I would have thought a UK truck in the M/E would be a bit like waving a red rag at a bull, what with the anti-west sentiment and all. Getting taken hostage or just topped on the spot.

I may be wrong on this but i seem to remember reading somewhere lately of 3 astran subbies still doing m/e.
Thought there was a 144, actros and something else. think one of the subbies was from spain.
Anyone read this ?

There are still people doing it but I believe most do “sellers”- deliver the load, then sell the tractor unit and fly home.

If you want serious & easy long distance stuff give H+R in Lethbridge Alberta a call .What with Winter coming it may be the adventure you are looking for?

VRV global handle the paperwork for H&R transport in Canada.Meat haulage.They assist in immigration.

It would probably be better to do a bit of Euro, working for someone else first.
(Make your mistakes at someone elses expense :blush: :blush: )

Jumping to O/D from employed is a fair step as it is. Finding your feet in a different environment, at the same time, won’t help any. I don’t know of anyone looking for drivers up here at the moment, but you could try Boyles in Glasgow or G&S in Bellshill (http://www.gseuro.com).

Simon:
… you could try … or G&S in Bellshill (http://www.gseuro.com).

…if you fancy to earn less than local class 2 driver :wink:

But: If you want to try Euro Work and are desperate enaugh to go to them, try in some Polish company. It’s very likely, that you will earn more than in G&S.

Try D Stevens & son out of Scrabster or Sam Hunter at Lochinver. Stevens has a depot in Bellshill for changeovers and Sam employs a couple of drivers in the Glasgow/Bellshill area for changeovers. Both taking wet fish to France Boulogne or Lorient.