Opticruise

So what’s this new Scania Opticruise like then? I know it has a clutch which I think you only use at very low speeds, are the rest of the gear changes fully automatic? Does it work well as I have heard some people say it is slow to change gear? I’m thinking of having it as I’m not too keen on the 3 over 3, I’m too used to the 4 over 4 which isn’t an option on the engine size I’m thinking of.

Only if you have driven it please.

You only need to use the clutch when starting and stopping, all the other gear changes are fully automatic.

The opticruise I used was about 7 months ago, so I’m not sure if that is as new as the one you are talking about.

New Opticruise is a lot better than old opticruise,

When i drove one in an R series, (Only around the block, but a big block) I was very impressed, 100% over the old version,

theghostofcain, if you drove an R series then it was new if it was a 4 series its old,

It is still not perfect, i hear a lot of moans about it when pulling off, you get going then it changes and during the change you lose some momentum so it does not pick up as easy,

You have the clutch for slow speeds, ie in yards, backing on to bays etc,

when on the road its fully auto, change up and down on its own, you can also manual overide it if you want a different gear,

Its a bit like marmite, you either love it or hate it,

I would advise you to have a demonstrator for a few days to see if you like, I can’t think of anything worse than to order a truck only for you to hate it because you never chose the right box, Have a go in both and make you decisions,

Only you know if its right for you or not :laughing:

I believe flatbedman on here somewhere has an R series with opticruise,

Hope this helps

Thanks lads.

I recently got talking to one of Widowson’s drivers who’d got a brand new R-series Topline. He said he was a bit sceptical at first but now he thinks its brilliant! He said the gear change is quicker than most other auto-boxes!

i have had my opticruise equipped r series since the beginning of november, i love it, once you are used to it and get to know what it can do its great, it goes a bit doolally when running solo after dropping a heavy trailer but once its caught up with itself its fine, all my future trucks will be auto!

paul