Opposite Opinions on Agencies

Greetings all, my name is Conor and I am looking at doing my category c early in the new year. I am currently 19 years old, 20 in March and work in Tesco (someone get me out).

The Tesco where I work is fairly big and has a decent sized yard for vehicles when deliveries come in, I grab every chance I get to speak to drivers both from Tesco, and external companies delivering pallets etc.

The majority of them tell me the same thing, that my age will put a lot of companies off and that my best bet is to go with an agency to gain experience.

My problem came when one driver told me that not even an agency would go near me, and another driver a few days later said the same.

I thought I’d just ask you guys’ opinion on the situation both me, and other young aspiring drivers are in.

I reside in Enfield, North London if anyone is from a neighbouring area and has more insight into agencies close by.

I also know there are older threads about the same matter, but I guess I just wanted a 2014 opinion haha.

Cheers guys.

Hi,

Would of thought your best option would be to contact a couple of the local agencys and find out from them, as they would be the ones in the know that would be hiring you.

Everyone says things about the agencies, it all seems to be more about opinion than fact. The only way you’ll find out is to ask them direct.

I’m a ‘mature’ rookie driver, and I’m doing okay with agency work. I’m only part time, but they’re keeping me working on the days I want to do. Opportunities are limited for rookie drivers regardless of age, but they do exist. Some say there is a driver shortage, others contest this. However, if there are companies taking on us rookies then there may be some truth to that. If companies are struggling to find drivers and are pressed hard enough that they take a risk with inexperienced ones then I don’t see how age is going to put them off. I don’t imagine the insurance loading is going to get that much worse between rookie driver and young rookie driver.

The problems you’ll have won’t be with the companies but their insurers. Most will want the experience and you to be over 25 to lower the premiums, so in that sense you come up against a double whammy. Most (but by no means all) agencies will want the same as the company you will be sent to will have the same restrictions.

My advice would be, if you want to do it, go for it. Yes, you may have harder time than most in that job, but there are under 25s out there trucking. If you do get sent out via agency, work your backside off, do it right and do it well every time and there’s every chance you may get offered employment.

It may not be easy, it may take time but you’ll get there.

When I search “HGV agency Enfield” or similar, it just comes up with vacancy sites haha. I must be doing something wrong.

Your best option would be to contact some of the companies in your area, explain that you’re thinking of doing HGV training and ask them how they would feel about taking on a driver of 19/20, at the end of the day they’re the people you will be contacting when you get your licence so why not ask them for their opinions in the first place.

You’re age may hold you back from some jobs but not all. You may be stuck doing multidrop but once you’ve done 6 months or so of dross work companies will start taking interest.

I got hold of an agency this morning, and they said my best bet would be to try and get on the Tesco home delivery. I guess this makes sense as I already work there haha. It never crossed my mind as I’m taking my category c and I’m imagining driving big rigids as oppose to little 3.5 tonne vans.

Maybe there’s something to be said for working your way up on the inside. A few months in the puddle jumpers, and maybe you could even persuade them to pay for your training to get into the bigger wagons. A while in the rigids, and perhaps they might even get you trained in the artics too. If the reported driver shortages are real then maybe they will be innovative and support recruitment from within.

Manpower St Albans branch gave me a start at Royal Mail straight after i passed my test. Maybe worth phoning theM. If your looking for full time work Brakes are advertising in Bishop Shortford, they may give you a chance also Furniture Village in Friern Barnet. Both adverts are on Indeed jobsite

Your in a very good area for work being near Brimsdown,

It all depends how desperate they are for drivers.

If they need drivers, and you have a licence, you will get work.

Cheers guys, you’ve been an awesome help and definitely raised my spirits back up.

Unfortunately, Tesco wouldn’t take me for the home delivery because they want 3 years driving experience, where I only have 2. There is however an Ocado depot opening close to me, and the advert doesn’t mention anything to do with driving experience or age. They just require no points or disqualification, and good customer service.

Anyone think it might be worth a shot?

ConorStephen:
Cheers guys, you’ve been an awesome help and definitely raised my spirits back up.

Unfortunately, Tesco wouldn’t take me for the home delivery because they want 3 years driving experience, where I only have 2. There is however an Ocado depot opening close to me, and the advert doesn’t mention anything to do with driving experience or age. They just require no points or disqualification, and good customer service.

Don’t even think about it, any job you see stick a CV in, go see the gaffer etc. The more things you apply for, the bigger the chance of you getting something back.

ConorStephen:

It doesn’t matter what we think, it only matters what YOU think. However, nothing will happen unless you make it happen. Your tomorrow depends on what you do today.

Do you think it is worth a shot? Does it help you on the road to your ultimate objective? What’s the worst that can happen if you go for it?

Think it through, and if it is right for you as an option then go for it! :slight_smile: