OPINIONS PLEASE

Evening all

Please let me know your thoughts on the following.

I passed my Class 2 in December and completed my CPC last month. I’m brand new to driving, so apologies if the below is long winded.

I applied for a Class 2 role with what seems a decent company in Kent. The guy phoned me earlier and was honest about what they would expect from me.

First, I would have to start in a Sprinter van, where I would fly anywhere and everywhere, as a multi-drop driver. IF I show that I can handle it, I could progress to 7.5t, and then after six months, I could move up to Class 2.

The money, although not a massive factor for me wanting to become a driver, is low to start with - £7.75ph. It rises to £10.05 for Class 2.

£7.75 is a fair bit lower than my current wage but more hours means I’ll actually earn more, but not by much.

In his honesty, the guy told me that I can expect the job, in the early days, to have a big impact on my life. Trips to Glasgow (he said that it’s there and back in a day) are common, along with other trips up North.

I appreciate that I have to walk before I can run. Why should he trust me with a Class 2 when I have zero experience?

My issue is that it will take me six months of hard work for a very low wage. That’s before I even get to Class 2. I don’t mind the hard work but I need to earn a living, preferably with the licence that I worked to achieve.

He said to take the weekend to think about it and let him know on Monday if I’m still interested.

My second point:

I get home and I receive an email from an agency, who have invited me to an interview with a company based in Paddock Wood. The money is approx 28k - a fair bit more than I currently earn.

The job advert described the role as “a very manual job”, which delivers food products to places such as schools, bars and restaurants etc.

Is this company Brakes or P & H?

If it is, then I’m slightly cautious, because of what I read from other drivers. I hear that it’s more labourer/work mule, than it is Driver. Again, I don’t mind a bit of hard graft , and I know I have to start somewhere, but am I better off looking elsewhere?

I would really appreciate some opinions from you guys.

You’ve all had to start somewhere. Do you think either of the above opportunities are worth considering? Would you be happy to start with either of them?

Cheers

Don’t see why you should have to start on anything less then the category of vehicle you have the licence to drive! Experience or no experience (this is what insurance is for?). I personally started right out on class 2 a yr ago and didn’t have to faff about working up to it, I went on to a local firm doing pallets as they happily gave me a shot and I thought it was a good mix of driving / other work and didn’t fancy food service or anything of the like! Best of luck bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 months to get to cat C would be a big no from me, and the idea of giving up regular employment to sign on with an agency is an even bigger no.

6 months to wait, I wouldn’t wait 1 week let alone 6 months…and for less money.

If I was you I would get any class 2 work for experience. my first class 2 job was bidvest for just over 4 months then I got better job.

slapstick:

If I was you I would get any class 2 work for experience. my first class 2 job was bidvest for just over 4 months then I got better job.

Cheers guys, I agree with you all.

It’s not unreasonable of me to want to drive the vehicle I am entitled to drive.

Slapstick, what was Bidvest like to work for? I guess they’re similar to Brakes, P&H etc. You did it for four months - how tough did you find it? What were the drops like?

bazzyf:

slapstick:

Cheers guys, I agree with you all.

It’s not unreasonable of me to want to drive the vehicle I am entitled to drive.

Slapstick, what was Bidvest like to work for? I guess they’re similar to Brakes, P&H etc. You did it for four months - how tough did you find it? What were the drops like?

Based in hoddesdon, drove 26tonne Daf, all the deliveries i made were into london and you get drivers mate. Driver mate unlocks store (some are retarded and set off the store alarms) Goods are all on pallets, Most stores aren’t big enough to fit pallet through door so you need strip down on path and handball it in. All stock has to be placed into correct places in store. Tail lift only have flaps on rear so you’ll need to park very close to kerb to get pallet onto path. If you get parking ticket the company pays, I once got 4 in 1 shift. 12 hr shifts x4 a week, weekly pay. I got use to work after 1 month but is very hard, pallets are very heavy drinks, boxes, bread etc. Not all stores you can park outside and are long walk from lorry to store (canary wharf and train stations mostly).

I don’t know anything about the day drivers, apart from the work be way harder and no drivers mate.

Cheers for the info mate. Respect to you for doing the job for more than a week - with respect, it sounds bloody horrible! I bet you’re glad to be out of it.

Saying that, I do need a start and I reckon the job in Paddock Wood is of a similar nature. I might have to go for it if I want some experience.

If you’re currently working why not see if you can get some agency work for your days off, that way you get some experience and extra money without jeopardising your livelihood.

To echo the others, that offer of the van and stuff sounds like sandpaper underwear to me.

If you’re not in a rush to start driving, might be worth looking at the agency weekends option. Or bite the bullet and dive right into it, but have a cast around here at any thread involving agencies…

Also, if you’ve got time on your side, take your time to hunt around. You will be able to find companies who will give a new pass a start, from the Brakes/P&H/3663 lot to other ones too.