Opinions Please - Reefers

Just wondering if I’m becoming Victor Meldrew in my old age, but I’m getting to the point of despair.

Why is it that everywhere I park up, I get a fridge in my earhole?

Doesn’t normally bother me, but in the past few weeks I’ve had a few sleepless nights, that really shouldn’t have been.

Hopwood Park. One Saturday, pulled up, probably 75% empty, but within an hour I had a fridge either side of me, rest of the spaces were still empty.

South Mimms a fortnight ago, for a change, not all that busy, but Mr HSF pulled up next to me, when he there were at least 5 spaces he could have taken down that side (with the other fridges) ■■■■ thing was so loud and knackered, the vibrations were rattling things around in my lockers.

Had to stop at Beaconsfield, and Mr McCafferey must have known how loud his fridge was, as he parked up about 8 spaces away from his trailer.

But to top it all. I had to stop on Birch E/B on Saturday night. Saw 2 reefers parked up near to where the pallet guy plies his trade, so I kept well away, but kept my distance from the filling station, as I needed a good kip. There must have been space for 100 trucks if well parked.

So why on Earth did Mr NFT park so close to me that our mirrors were almost touching. Left his engine running on whatever break he was planning on taking, jumped out of his cab to have a twiddle with his trailer, (never pulled a fridge so I’m not sure of the deal) but that thing was revving it’s knackers off.

Not content with that, he decided to ring his wife/gf/mistress/banana supplier/dealer to with his window a foot down at full volume, was such a funny conversation, I could hear the laughter resonating around my brain.

So on the whole of Birch Services, there were 4 motors, and I’m a moron for asking him why he needed to park up next to me■■?

Or am I just getting old and cynical?

Walk round and turn it off that’ll teach em

1FLEETRENEGADE:

Would have rather continued my sleep. To be honest.

I just can’t work out how you “accidentally” pull up next to a curtainsider with his cab curtains drawn when you have so many spaces available.

1FLEETRENEGADE:

Yeah, that will teach them, along with Jo public who gets food poisoning!

There’s no excuse for those tossers but on the other side of the coin,as a fridge night driver myself it’s nigh on impossible now to park away from kipping drivers. The places I used to park in the services,such as the by the garage or by the exits are now taken up by wagons stopping the night and they arn’t fridges…they’re doing themselves no favours or us.

1FLEETRENEGADE:

+1

Nail on the head mate, you’re a moaning ■■■■■■.

Fridges are better than they used to be, been around a LONG time, and are usually carrying stuff that’s slightly more important than your average curtainsider.

I’ve carried food, medicine and chemicals in fridges, not really something you should be turning off, can result in food poisoning, waste of medicine (printout required for this - if turned off at any point, it’s all binned) or MUCH WORSE if you turn off temperature sensitive chemicals.

Try working harder. Try ear plugs. Try becoming a day driver. Either way, the problem mate is your end :slight_smile:

Even if the fridge parked away from you, if the services is empty the sound will carry, don’t ask me why they park next to you, but the laughing you heard was probably the driver going “■■■■■■■ this moaning ■■■■■■ right off, parked next to him, just put the fridge on defrost, it’s revving it’s nuts off, HA HA HA”…
I’ve never deliberately parked next to anyone in that way, usually park next to other fridges, had 1 driver though get out and tell me that his fridge was off so I couldn’t park next to him?? :open_mouth: I did though, then he was going to ‘knock me out’ when I get out of my cab, took me less than 2 mins to get my shower gear ready, climb out of cab and surprised by the lack of incident as I strolled to the services :unamused:

I will always try to park away from trucks with curtains pulled when I have a fridge on though it’s not always possible but I still have to have my break somewhere. Theres a fair Share of ignorant bleeders in all walks of life and drivers are no exception. Mind you if that’s your biggest gripe during your coming of Victor Meldrewdom then you have a pretty good job.

I’ve done a lot of fridge work in my time and the noise doesn’t bother me one bit, but a ticking clock drives me up the bloody wall!

I once had a Merc that had the world’s noisiest tacho, the chirruping noise it made was far louder than Mr Thermo King’s best efforts behind me. I used to have to put a pillow over the dash to drown out the noise.

Seriously though. This guy had the area the size of a football pitch to park on.

And was doing such a “Dom Joly” job of being on the phone I knew his ethnicity before I drew back my curtains.

Wouldn’t have minded if we’d have been struggling for spaces.

I kid you not there were 4 motors on the entire place and the pallet fella’s trailer, that was it.

I’d never park on services if I had my way, but company policy dictates that we have to if loaded. If the load or motor gets done, then no receipt - no insurance.

If I really want to make friends I find parking a reefer container with a generator fitted great, especially if I park next two other box jockeys, the resonation is ear shattering.

It makes so much noise that the only way I can sleep is ironically by smoking a reefer or two myself.

PaulNowak:
Seriously though. This guy had the area the size of a football pitch to park on.

And was doing such a “Dom Joly” job of being on the phone I knew his ethnicity before I drew back my curtains.

I kid you not there were 4 motors on the entire place and the pallet fella’s trailer, that was it.

I’d never park on services if I had my way, but company policy dictates that we have to if loaded. If the load or motor gets done, then no receipt - no insurance.

so there was that much room you parked so that 2 fridges surrounded you like American Indians ON THE WAR PATH :unamused:

Why not park next to someone else that was parking up for the night or out the way in a corner or were you worried about being woken when they went in the morning,

FFS its a service area move on man :unamused:

nick2008:

PaulNowak:

so there was that much room you parked so that 2 fridges surrounded you like American Indians ON THE WAR PATH :unamused:

Why not park next to someone else that was parking up for the night or out the way in a corner or were you worried about being woken when they went in the morning,

Re-read my posts

PaulNowak:

nick2008:

PaulNowak:

Re-read my posts

my bad :blush:

yer still a bloody moaner though :wink:

paul nowak ive pulled fridges basically 30 yrs if u staying all night get a place that u can back out easy in the am yrs back reefer drivers always did there best to keep away but as many things in trucking theres not alot of thought for fellow drivers especially as now most are taught by some school not given little tips as your dad or uncle would of when u started but when u near muppets just stay proffesional mmaybe say tks 4 that m8 without getting into a ruck gd luck

I had a rare night out last week with a running fridge and parked at Lymm services and I went right down the far end and found a space with at least 4 spaces either side of me, within 10 minutes I was surrounded by running fridges which wasn’t a problem as it kept us all together in one group.

It was like sheep each fridge looked the same but all had a distinct tone to it.

1FLEETRENEGADE:

You’re a moron. Sorry if that’s a little offensive but there is no way to sugar-coat it.

Having pulled fridges in the past ( know it can be annoying for some people ) … I will happily park up next to a fridge … as long as it on “constant” … annoys me when they are on stop/start - it’s not the engine, it’s the wretched “warning buzzer” that it is going to start - like an alarm clock :imp:

1FLEETRENEGADE:

+1 :laughing: :grimacing:

Coffeeholic:

1FLEETRENEGADE:

You’re a moron. Sorry if that’s a little offensive but there is no way to sugar-coat it.

when i was on fridge’s i would never park next to another truck always looked for fridge parking away from everyone else